Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: July 2023 - General Weather Discussion

Default Re: July 2023 - General Weather Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    Last of the rain is sliding out of OKC right now. We will have a break until this weekend where it looks like at least one more round of MCS. After that, the ridge of death will build over the area and we will begin to dry out.

Still waiting on data to be updated from today's rainfall, but all regions of the state are on track to be in the top 20 wettest Summer-to now periods on record. The only exception regions are NE & EC OK. The panhandle and WC OK are both over 200% from normal up to this point. Obviously there is still a lot of summer to go, but this has been an outstanding one so far.
    Glad to see such a big improvement across the state. Hoping NE OK can get in on some of these summer rains later this week and through the weekend. Since the big storm 3 weeks ago I've only had barely 0.5" of rain at my house in Tulsa. Meanwhile my rent house in Norman has picked up over 8"!
    "

Another 2" in the rain gauges here. That's 8" since the Friday night/Saturday morning storms.

Quote Originally Posted by gjl View Post
    Another 2" in the rain gauges here. That's 8" since the Friday night/Saturday morning storms.
    Same here - exactly 2" overnight, bringing the monthly total up to 8.68" at my place. Pretty wild - it's been a little more than 20 years since my family moved back to OK and I don't remember any year in that time where we've gotten this rain in the first half of July.

4. Default Re: July 2023 - General Weather Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by baralheia View Post
    Same here - exactly 2" overnight, bringing the monthly total up to 8.68" at my place. Pretty wild - it's been a little more than 20 years since my family moved back to OK and I don't remember any year in that time where we've gotten this rain in the first half of July.
    We will see if we make it up to 2013 levels. 9 inches that year in July.

Per the official recording station at Will Rogers, this is already the 5th wettest July in OKC history.

1 - 1996 - 11.90"
    2 - 2013 - 9.84"
    3 - 1950 - 9.35"
    4 - 1959 - 8.44"
    5 - 2023 - 8.41"

^

Wow, and only 1/3rd of the way in!

For early Tuesday morning, Oklahoma became subject to the isolated bullseye in the nation for a heavy rain event. It started out as two separate storms arising in west central Oklahoma. The right one expanded and moved across I-35. As it moved southeast, most of Stillwater got the extreme fringes of it so only sprinkles. OKC got drenched. Meanwhile, the weakened Kansas storms shortly after crossing the Oklahoma border ran into unstable air and reblossomed. Stillwater also got the fringe of this development but not the sprinkles zone. Mesonet has it at 1.21". Just to the south Perkins area got 2 to 3.25". But move east 20 miles to the county border and it got at or nearly 0. All of the Tulsa area got nothing. Unfortunate how most of the northeast quarter of the state has been missing out.

Do you have an amateur weather station or do you just have a rain gauge? I was looking into the various Wifi enabled weather stations but haven't decided how to proceed.

9. Default Re: July 2023 - General Weather Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by fortpatches View Post
    Do you have an amateur weather station or do you just have a rain gauge? I was looking into the various Wifi enabled weather stations but haven't decided how to proceed.
    Here are the links discussed last month on people who were interested in weather station/rain gauges.

https://www.acurite.com/shop-all/wea...BoC6iYQAvD_BwE

https://ambientweather.com/ws-2902-s...eather-station

https://www.davisinstruments.com/

The air is thick out today with dewpoints near 80 driving the heat index above 110 in many areas.

A few more early morning MCS chances across mainly northern OK the next few days.

Okc has now received more rain so far in 2023 than all of 2022.

Quote Originally Posted by fortpatches View Post
    I have a wifi-enabled personal weather station. It's an AmbientWeather WS-2902C and except for a few minor gripes, I've been thoroughly pleased with it. It can publish to AmbientWeather's own data portal, as well as Weather Underground and Weathercloud. My main issues with it are minor - there's no real data logging in the display that comes with the 2902 except for totals, so if your internet drops for any reason then there's a gap in your uploaded data. Also, for some reason, it keeps track of hourly/daily/monthly rainfall totals. but not yearly - instead it tracks an overall total since the last time the totals were reset. I reset the totals on my display on NYE to get around this. The good news is most of Ambient Weather's stations are modular, and you can swap the display for the nice one that comes with the WS-2000/WS-5000 to correct these minor issues (or you can buy one of those kits to begin with instead). There's also a number of additional sensors that are compatible with these systems, like air quality monitors, lightning detectors, pool temperature sensors, soil moisture sensors for the garden, and the like - and a large community of owners who love to tinker with these stations too. It blows my old La Crosse weather station out of the water, frankly.

This is the public dashboard for my station on the Ambient Weather Network: https://ambientweather.net/dashboard...fed108ff/tiles

I have a wifi-enabled personal weather station. It's an AmbientWeather WS-2902C and except for a few minor gripes, I've been thoroughly pleased with it. It can publish to AmbientWeather's own data portal, as well as Weather Underground and Weathercloud. My main issues with it are minor - there's no real data logging in the display that comes with the 2902 except for totals, so if your internet drops for any reason then there's a gap in your uploaded data. Also, for some reason, it keeps track of hourly/daily/monthly rainfall totals. but not yearly - instead it tracks an overall total since the last time the totals were reset. I reset the totals on my display on NYE to get around this. The good news is most of Ambient Weather's stations are modular, and you can swap the display for the nice one that comes with the WS-2000/WS-5000 to correct these minor issues (or you can buy one of those kits to begin with instead). There's also a number of additional sensors that are compatible with these systems, like air quality monitors, lightning detectors, pool temperature sensors, soil moisture sensors for the garden, and the like - and a large community of owners who love to tinker with these stations too. It blows my old La Crosse weather station out of the water, frankly.

This is the public dashboard for my station on the Ambient Weather Network: https://ambientweather.net/dashboard...fed108ff/tiles
    Thanks! I think that was actually the model I was looking at when I decided to ask
    I love tinkering with things, so it sounds like I might enjoy that community.

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    Here are the links discussed last month on people who were interested in weather station/rain gauges.

https://www.acurite.com/shop-all/wea...BoC6iYQAvD_BwE

https://ambientweather.com/ws-2902-s...eather-station

https://www.davisinstruments.com/

Thank you! I missed that chat last month. I appreciate the links to help with comparisons.

I already miss the rain. This humid-hot combo we have now sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by chssooner View Post
    I already miss the rain. This humid-hot combo we have now sucks.
    How does tonight sound?

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    How does tonight sound?
    If not tonight, tomorrow night is looking even more favorable IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    If not tonight, tomorrow night is looking even more favorable IMO.
    SPC has expanded the Day 2 Slight Risk to include much of the OKC Metro.

https://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/outlook/day2otlk.html

MD is out for TX PH. This will be the area to watch for storms advancing eastward across the stateline. A lot of weird boundaries scattered around (including NE OK) so random development of storms is possible.

94 over 79 with a heat index of 112 at Will Rogers currently. Not great! I believe this is only two degrees shy of tying the all time dewpoint record for OKC.

Blog Entries

I saw that Pauls Valley registered 126 heat index - highest ever on Oklahoma Mesonet (30 years).

Severe storms developing basically directly NW of OKC. These will primarily have flash flood threat. But could be some small hail as well.

Some incredible lightning with these storms, which makes sense given the…erm…6770 J/kg of CAPE on the 00z OUN sounding.

This might be the first storm I can remember where it didn’t feel even the slightest bit cool outside afterwards. Still sweltering!

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    94 over 79 with a heat index of 112 at Will Rogers currently. Not great! I believe this is only two degrees shy of tying the all time dewpoint record for OKC.
    FYI, we did end up tying the dewpoint record several hours later: https://twitter.com/NWSNorman/status...20228400545795

The east side of Stillwater benefitted a bit from sprinkles from a weak thundershower that developed overhead. It will be interesting to see how far the rain now in western panhandle can penetrate into Oklahoma later on.

Thread Information