Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: July 2023 - General Weather Discussion

Default Re: July 2023 - General Weather Discussion

My guestimate was right. Stillwater from being in the weak part got mostly between .5 and .75", while OKC and counties to the west of there got well over an inch with 2 plus inches being common. Stillwater area has had around 2.5-3" of rain for July. At least it's been enough to nearly saturate the soil and keep the grass bright green.

Quote Originally Posted by C_M_25 View Post
    Hope you guys have been enjoying this rain because the heat dome comes back with a vengeance here in a couple of weeks. The 100’s become the norm on the GFS two weeks out. Let’s hope that changes. Would be nice to get through most of July without a major heat wave here.
    The 110 degree Texas heat dome that was supposed to dramatically expand to include all of Oklahoma never did, so, yes, let's hope this new talk of a heat dome is wrong, too.

3. Default Re: July 2023 - General Weather Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    The 110 degree Texas heat dome that was supposed to dramatically expand to include all of Oklahoma never did, so, yes, let's hope this new talk of a heat dome is wrong, too.
    Yes please! Has OKC hit 100 in the last 2 summers?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    Yes please! Has OKC hit 100 in the last 2 summers?
    Last summer was one of the hotter summers in OKC history, something like 20-25 triple-digit highs (off the top of my head). 2021 was much cooler, very similar to how this summer has been so far (though without the near-constant organized thunderstorm activity).

5. Default Re: July 2023 - General Weather Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    Last summer was one of the hotter summers in OKC history, something like 20-25 triple-digit highs (off the top of my head). 2021 was much cooler, very similar to how this summer has been so far (though without the near-constant organized thunderstorm activity).
    Actually 27. I didn't remember last summer being hot but then again I can't tell you what I had for lunch yesterday.

6. Default Re: July 2023 - General Weather Discussion

Last night I slept through anything that did happen. I was around I40 & Rockwell this afternoon. There's leaves, twigs and all kinds of small debris all over the streets. Limbs fallen out of trees. The H-D dealer had a tent event yesterday and the tent is caved in and all twisted up. When I got home I checked the rain gauge and we got 3 1/2 inches. I didn't even know it rained.

^

It woke me up (which is saying something) and it was coming down like I've never seen around 3 AM.

Not a ton of loud thunder, just crazy monsoon rain.

Last summer was brutal as far as temps and dry weather goes. Extremely dry spring and summer. It was so dry it forced me to finally fix my well pump so I could water my 2/3 acre back yard which I normally never do. The hot temps started in June. I had some of the largest cracks in the ground I've ever seen. The ground shrunk so bad it popped the cap off one of my sewer clean out access covers. About the worst tomato crop I've had in years.

Last summer it didn’t rain from early June until late August. It was incredibly dry and hot.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ^

It woke me up (which is saying something) and it was coming down like I've never seen around 3 AM.

Not a ton of loud thunder, just crazy monsoon rain.
    The peak rainfall rate my weather station measured was 6.14" per hour. It was the heaviest rain I've seen in quite some time and it flooded my street so badly that water came up to the garage door. None got in, thankfully, but that was WILD. In total I picked up just a hair under 3.2" of rain at my place 1.5mi west of Crossroads.

Flood watch is out for majority of the C and S parts of the state. This will be for storms that develop overnight and into Tuesday morning.

We will likely see development after dark directly overhead across C and S OK. Storms will likely be very slow moving, so flood threat is primary threat.

I was just at Grand Lake and wow it is dry out that way. NE OK is way behind on normal rainfall, which is strange because they are usually one of the wetter parts of the state (SE OK being the wettest, and they are also unusually dry). Though this weekends' storm system looks like it will bring some decent rain to that area.

Emily has OKC, Moore, Norman and southeast to Asher getting 3 to 5" of rain tonight. Most other places, little to none. As close by as Guthrie only 01". She also thought it may be slow moving.

Latest hi-def model data showing the hot spot for heavy rain across SC to SE OK.

Despite all the rain we have received, Hefner is still several feet low. Would have been a rough summer if we didn’t get this rain.

Quote Originally Posted by C_M_25 View Post
    Despite all the rain we have received, Hefner is still several feet low. Would have been a rough summer if we didn’t get this rain.
    nope

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    nope
    this is well said, BS.

Quote Originally Posted by April in the Plaza View Post
    this is well said, BS.
    i mean there is a regular thread that stays updated with the hefner water level .. lol

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    i mean there is a regular thread that stays updated with the hefner water level .. lol
    Totally agree. And I can't remember the last time my Rachio 12-Zone decided my property needed water. It has been some time now.

About to head off to bed, but looks like initiation just occurred to the NW of Kingfisher. Would think this means OKC stands a decent chance of getting one last round of nighttime convection in a couple of hours before the ridge builds in for a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    About to head off to bed, but looks like initiation just occurred to the NW of Kingfisher. Would think this means OKC stands a decent chance of getting one last round of nighttime convection in a couple of hours before the ridge builds in for a few days.
    That stormy area has expanded so much that Stillwater is barely going to be on the edge of it with at least some sprinkles. OKC is going to benefit more from being in the heavier part of it. There are even more storms just to the west and northwest that may hit OKC. Storms just about to enter Oklahoma from KS don't look as widespread or as strong. It will be interesting to see how they turn out later.

Woke up around 2:00 this morning to hail pounding on the roof, crazy lightning, and heavy downpours. I dozed in and out of sleep until 5:30, but I’m sure there were at least four rounds of hail that I heard.

Blog Entries

^Same here - far NW OKC. Several rounds of hail…. along with a flood.

24. Default Re: July 2023 - General Weather Discussion

I only heard one round of small hail. We got about 2" of rain. A total of almost 7" from these recent systems.

Last of the rain is sliding out of OKC right now. We will have a break until this weekend where it looks like at least one more round of MCS. After that, the ridge of death will build over the area and we will begin to dry out.

Still waiting on data to be updated from today's rainfall, but all regions of the state are on track to be in the top 20 wettest Summer-to now periods on record. The only exception regions are NE & EC OK. The panhandle and WC OK are both over 200% from normal up to this point. Obviously there is still a lot of summer to go, but this has been an outstanding one so far.

Thread Information