Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replacement Windows

Default Replacement Windows

I could really use any solid recommendations on who to use for replacing all the windows in my house. It's going to cost a chunk of money, so I want to make the best decision of who to use.
    Help?

2. Default Re: Replacement Windows

Window World or I used Dave with HomePro 405-823-4996

I would stay away from Terrells or Renewal by anderson.

Default Re: Replacement Windows

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    I would stay away from Renewal by anderson.
    why is that? just curious... i get stuff in the mail from them all the time.

4. Default Re: Replacement Windows

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    why is that? just curious... i get stuff in the mail from them all the time.
    They use local sub contractors for windows anyway, have poor quality windows for the price and are basically just a high pressure sales company. Just get quotes from local contractors and you cut out the middle man.

They use local sub contractors for windows anyway, have poor quality windows for the price and are basically just a high pressure sales company. Just get quotes from local contractors and you cut out the middle man.
    i gotcha... that makes sense given the amount of junk mail they send out.

Window World or I used Dave with HomePro 405-823-4996

I would stay away from Terrells or Renewal by anderson.
    Man...thank you for this!!

Had a very negative experience with Window World about 10 years ago. Had to sign NDA to get $1500 back.

I don't know if anyone has "in house" installers. I think they all use local sub-contractors. Find someone who explains and makes you comfortable.

Really best if you get educated about what types are available and general costs before you call companies.

We had a thread on this a while back, and Thermal Windows in Bethany seemed to be everyones favorite. No pressure sales. High quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    We had a thread on this a while back, and Thermal Windows in Bethany seemed to be everyones favorite. No pressure sales.
    I thought I saw a thread on this too, but couldn't locate it. But thanks for this info!

Quote Originally Posted by bucktalk View Post
    I thought I saw a thread on this too, but couldn't locate it. But thanks for this info!
    We actually had them come take a look at some of ours. He suggested not replacing at this time. When we do we will use them.

Well then they lie in their advertising. They say they use their own installers so if there is ever a problem you are dealing with only one company and not a subcontractor.

Quote Originally Posted by gjl View Post
    Well then they lie in their advertising. They say they use their own installers so if there is ever a problem you are dealing with only one company and not a subcontractor.
    I used Replacement by Anderson about 3 years ago. Really expensive but they did use their own installers on our job. I believe you can get Anderson quality w/o using the "Replacement" route.

13. Default Re: Replacement Windows

I replaced 27 windows in my rent house. I ordered plygem from BMP. Got the wholesale cost and then installed them myself. It is pretty easy to do if you are inclined to do so. I think with tax and all it was under 4K.

We were pleased with Oklahoma owned and manufactured Thermal Windows.

Quote Originally Posted by garyokc6 View Post
    i replaced 27 windows in my rent house. I ordered plygem from bmp. Got the wholesale cost and then installed them myself. It is pretty easy to do if you are inclined to do so. I think with tax and all it was under 4k.
    bmp?

16. Default Re: Replacement Windows

B M P Inc - Oklahoma City - Doors and Windows
    Address: 4219 Charter Ave, Oklahoma City, OK 73108
    Phone: (405) 946-8874

Quote Originally Posted by bucktalk View Post
    I could really use any solid recommendations on who to use for replacing all the windows in my house. It's going to cost a chunk of money, so I want to make the best decision of who to use.
    Help?
    I have used Window World to replace windows and screen door of my home and they done a great job.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryOKC6 View Post
    B M P Inc - Oklahoma City - Doors and Windows
    Address: 4219 Charter Ave, Oklahoma City, OK 73108
    Phone: (405) 946-8874
    Thanks!

I called the windows by anderson bunch to get an estimate on just one window I needed to replace. What turned me off was the fact that they wanted to send a salesperson out and look at ALL of my windows, plus my wife had to be there also. I wondered why and did some research. It appears that if your wife is on the mortgage she also has to sign the agreement. I can only imagine it's so that they can put a lien on your house if you don't pay. I'm sure midtowner can enlighten me.

I replaced 27 windows in my rent house. I ordered plygem from BMP. Got the wholesale cost and then installed them myself. It is pretty easy to do if you are inclined to do so. I think with tax and all it was under 4K.
    Wow...that is a super great price!

Quote Originally Posted by Oklapatriot View Post
    I called the windows by anderson bunch to get an estimate on just one window I needed to replace. What turned me off was the fact that they wanted to send a salesperson out and look at ALL of my windows, plus my wife had to be there also. I wondered why and did some research. It appears that if your wife is on the mortgage she also has to sign the agreement. I can only imagine it's so that they can put a lien on your house if you don't pay. I'm sure midtowner can enlighten me.
    I believe you are correct. But look at it from the window company point of view...they are a top of the market company that has very high overhead expenses that must be protected. A single $2,000 window install isn't what they are set up for. Go to Lowe's or Forest for that.

Wives want new windows. That is a pure, sexist, generalization (and fact). Anderson wants your wife there when their salesman comes to your house. All home improvement companies do. Wives run the house while the husbands are busy being pastors, or getting drunk (or somewhere in between). It's all the same human nature. They will talk to you about the single window and shift her to the whole house. Which is what she secretly wants anyway.

The most certain way a company will be guaranteed payment of a property repair, or improvement, is a written contract with the legal property owner(s). That allows the service provider to place a lien against the property that must be released before the legal ownership can change. Anything other than that, or paying in advance, are at the mercy of the property owner. I don't believe service providers are allowed to repossess property in Oklahoma.

I think that gives Anderson (and most service providers) two good reasons for your wife to be there. I'm gonna guess they would you there if your wife called them first.

There is not much I won't tackle around the house or fixing a car. Been that way for 50 years. Replacing windows on a house would be one of those things I wouldn't attempt to do. There are certain things I just want professionally done.

Quote Originally Posted by gjl View Post
    There is not much I won't tackle around the house or fixing a car. Been that way for 50 years. Replacing windows on a house would be one of those things I wouldn't attempt to do. There are certain things I just want professionally done.
    really depends on the opening for me. Some are easier than others. If it is brick and not an exact fit...not touching it. If wood siding and trim......just basic carpentry

I have six 8' x 2' windows and seventeen 6' x 2' windows in my house. Not really the norm. The only windows I have that I would call normal size are one in the kitchen and one in a bathroom. House exterior is a combination rock and cedar wood. So some are surrounded by rock and some by cedar wood. My main concern would be how much of the interior sheet rock casing around the windows would get damaged.

Nice explanation, thanks. I bet you're right. Regarding that one window I wanted replaced, it was actually two 3 X 6 regular window hooked together in the middle. I wanted a single picture window. After the Renewal by Anderson debacle, I ordered a Pella window from Lowe's in the exact size I needed to fit the opening. The window was finally delivered to Lowe's and when I went down to pick it up it must have weighed 500 lbs. I was going to go ahead and install it myself, because I had replaced all of the windows years ago myself, but found it too heavy for my wife and I to handle. I called many installers trying to get someone to install the window I had bought, but found no one interested in doing the project unless they supplied the window. I finally paid a couple of guys to lift the window into the opening for me and completed the installation myself. Yes, it's not that hard to replace your own windows. If you order the right size they will fit right into the opening without a problem and the sealing and trim is not a big problem. Replacing windows is not brain surgery and these window companies are making a killing......

Thread Information