Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: NBA's Seattle Supersonics relocate to Oklahoma City.

Default Re: NBA's Seattle Supersonics relocate to Oklahoma City.

I bought the Sonicsgate documentary on DVD. $20 on Amazon. Even downloaded it on my media phone. Watch it 2-3 times a year. Well worth watching the free long version on YouTube.

I think the Sonics moving was a horrible convergence of bad timing and egos. Howard Schultz and his 59 junior partners could have withstood the losses they might have been enduring for another decade and would have cashed out for a net profit had they stayed the course. They just lost interest, and no other people in a city loaded with able buyers got interested. Washington politics and personalities drove the situation to this bad end. There should never have been people from Oklahoma willing to buy the Sonics and consider moving them.

I think the only other team relocation that was close to being this unnecessary was the NFL Oilers moving from Houston to Nashville and becoming the Tennessee Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    So, you take claims in a lawsuit to be “facts”. You must live in an interesting real world.
    I was posting the fact that it was contentious, most Seattleites agreed with Schultz that Clay Bennet lied about his intentions.

Understood, if memory serves, Schultz believed Bennet wouldn't move the team. He should have done his homework better. Seattle also almost lost the Seahawks when an out-of-state Calforinian bought the Seahawks, Who said even the day he signed the title, he had no intent on moving the team to LA.... guess what? He tried to move the team to LA Paul Allen of Microsoft then bought the team to keep it in Seattle.

Frankly, I don't think the NBA wants a team in Seattle.

Rover, if you're interested, here is a rather balanced view of what occurred.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seattl...Clay%20Bennett.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    So, you take claims in a lawsuit to be “facts”. You must live in an interesting real world.
    "Facts" from a lawsuit the plaintiff dismissed before it ever went to trial. Even if everything they said was true, Schultz would have had to be an idiot to not understand that an OKC ownership group was either looking for a quick and highly profitable flip of the team or to move it to OKC.

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    "Facts" from a lawsuit the plaintiff dismissed before it ever went to trial. Even if everything they said was true, Schultz would have had to be an idiot to not understand that an OKC ownership group was either looking for a quick and highly profitable flip of the team or to move it to OKC.
    The plaintiff dismissed because the City of Seattle went forward with their lawsuit against Bennett. The facts are the facts.

I do agree with you that Schultz was stupid, he admitted as much 15 years later.

Here is a trip down memory lane...

The Final Days of the Sonics: Lawsuits, Backroom Politics, and a Confused Kevin Durant

https://www.theringer.com/2019/11/21...ays-sonic-boom

8. Default Re: NBA's Seattle Supersonics relocate to Oklahoma City.

Quote Originally Posted by VincentC View Post
    Here is a trip down memory lane...

The Final Days of the Sonics: Lawsuits, Backroom Politics, and a Confused Kevin Durant

https://www.theringer.com/2019/11/21...ays-sonic-boom
    No thanks! This is just a buzz kill right now. C'mon VInce, read the room, man. It's playoff time 2024! Just looking forward right now! Just no.

Quote Originally Posted by Celebrator View Post
    No thanks! This is just a buzz kill right now. C'mon VInce, read the room, man. It's playoff time 2024! Just looking forward right now! Just no.
    Thanks, we are all good! I actually like Oklahoma " the City" and people.

Understood, if memory serves, Schultz believed Bennet wouldn't move the team. He should have done his homework better. Seattle also almost lost the Seahawks when an out-of-state Calforinian bought the Seahawks, Who said even the day he signed the title, he had no intent on moving the team to LA.... guess what? He tried to move the team to LA Paul Allen of Microsoft then bought the team to keep it in Seattle.

Frankly, I don't think the NBA wants a team in Seattle.
    Ken Behring bought the Seahawks in 1988, and didn't try to move them until January 1996. His reason for leaving was that the Kingdome was falling apart and yes he interestingly tried to use that the facility was unsafe if an earthquake happened, while moving the team to more earthquake prone Anaheim, it was eventually scuttled when the lawyers discovered that they team was locked in and couldn't break the lease until 2005, unless King County approved. it was then that he chose willingly to sell the team. and that is when Paul Allen came in, and lets not forget that Paul Allen's purchase was contingent on a new stadium being approved. it wasn't until after the special statewide election for stadium financing passed, that Allen actually bought the team.

it's almost like the city of Seattle should have understood that to keep teams they have to get new facilities. but then just a decade later they didn't vote for a new basketball arena and then lost their NBA team. had they not approved the stadium for the NFL, it's very probably that Paul Allen stood by his conditions and wouldn't have purchased the team, and then Ken Behring would have just sold to someone else, who probably would have played out the lease and then moved the team after the 2005 season.

rabble rabble rabble...SUCK IT SEATTLE.

Schultz and Seattle's city leaders are to blame. After the arena vote failed, he sold the team and I-91 was passed by voters, it was over. Anyone who believed otherwise was fooling themselves.

I was posting the fact that it was contentious, most Seattleites agreed with Schultz that Clay Bennet lied about his intentions.
    Ground breaking stuff here

It's always interesting how the role of the NBA in all of it gets overlooked. Seattle probably doesn't want to acknowledge that, because it would like another team at some point. At the time, Key was often referred to as one of the worst arenas in the league with one of the worst leases in the league. Obviously, Bennet wanted to own an NBA team in Oklahoma City, but, more importantly, the NBA wanted a better arena in the Seattle market. At the end of the day, the sale of the team wouldn't have happened without NBA approval. It was actually a perfect situation for the NBA. The sale to OKC owners created leverage with the real possibility of moving the team to an already proven market. So, they either got a new arena in an important market, or could move to another market with more public support.

The only thing of issue is one's perception of "good faith" in the efforts by the Bennett ownership group to get a new arena or an overhaul of Key Arena. But, if anything, the passage of I-91 was the real signal that there was no possibility of negotiation between the new owners and the city. Attempts to secure funding in surrounding areas also failed to gain support.

I understand how some people feel about public support for sports in general. Basically, Seattle and the state of Washington took a principled stand against that. I get that it was upsetting to Sonics fans, but it also needs to be understood that the NBA supported the purchase and the eventual move of the team while local government legislatively worked against efforts to keep the team in Washington. That was the politically tenable thing to do, because that's what the average constituent wanted. Whether one agrees with it ideologically or economically, there is nothing unique about a sports team, or really any business with significant leverage, relocating when it looses public support. Ultimately, that's all it boiled down to.

It's just as likely that if Seattle had participated, the Sonics would have gotten a new arena, Bennett could have then sold the team to local owners at a profit, and the NBA would have worked with Bennett's group to acquire another team. That certainly would have been the best case scenario as far as the league is concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    Ken Behring bought the Seahawks in 1988, and didn't try to move them until January 1996. His reason for leaving was that the Kingdome was falling apart and yes he interestingly tried to use that the facility was unsafe if an earthquake happened, while moving the team to more earthquake prone Anaheim, it was eventually scuttled when the lawyers discovered that they team was locked in and couldn't break the lease until 2005, unless King County approved. it was then that he chose willingly to sell the team. and that is when Paul Allen came in, and lets not forget that Paul Allen's purchase was contingent on a new stadium being approved. it wasn't until after the special statewide election for stadium financing passed, that Allen actually bought the team.

it's almost like the city of Seattle should have understood that to keep teams they have to get new facilities. but then just a decade later they didn't vote for a new basketball arena and then lost their NBA team. had they not approved the stadium for the NFL, it's very probably that Paul Allen stood by his conditions and wouldn't have purchased the team, and then Ken Behring would have just sold to someone else, who probably would have played out the lease and then moved the team after the 2005 season.

Seahawks, Ken didn't have the NFL's permission to move the team, he packed everything up in the dead of night, and then as the trucks arrived in Anaheim he declared he moved the Team. Behring's plan was halted when the NFL threatened to fine him $500,000 a day until he returned the Seahawks to Seattle, and after King County had filed lawsuits against him. Behring was forced to sell the Seahawks to Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen in 1997 for $200 million.

Sonics- In the City of Seattle lawsuit against Bennett, emails dated before the Sonic sale was completed were discovered, and it highlighted Bennett's intention to move the team. When it comes to the Seattle politicians, I do agree there was much to blame. it was also bad timing that played the biggest role. Microsoft CEO Ballmer wasn't ready to own a NBA team full time, but, did put together a $150 million 'gift" to Seattle to rebuild Key Arena, if Seatle would not let Bennet out of the lease until it would expire in 2010. The 2-year reprieve would have allowed the Microsoft CEO time to buy the team back from Bennett, with Clay making a good profit.

Schultz was an idiot... of course, hindsight is 20/20 but he had the resources to hold out to sell the team to Microsoft CEO Ballmer by 2010. Ballmer ended up buying the San Diego Clippers for $2 Billion.

It's all water under the bridge, and there are great fans in Oklahoma City. If Seattle does get a team again it will be a fun rivalry.

Sonics- In the City of Seattle lawsuit against Bennett, emails dated before the Sonic sale was completed were discovered, and it highlighted Bennett's intention to move the team.
    this is not really true at all ..

it showed that with out a new arena he would seek to move the team ..... did not show that was the goal at all .

16. Default Re: NBA's Seattle Supersonics relocate to Oklahoma City.

clay Bennett made several attempts to get the arena rebuilt. He was very clear about his intentions. He was making regular trips to Seattle. One of his attorneys told me that they had to get a car that was armored to drive them around because there were so many death threats. The NBA commissioners were almost unanimous on the relocation vote. I still have voice mail messages that I saved over the years of people calling and threatening OKC. One of my favorite voice mails was a drunk guy calling at 2:00 am carrying on and on saying "you stole our team". that was as recent as 5 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryOKC6 View Post
    clay Bennett made several attempts to get the arena rebuilt. He was very clear about his intentions. He was making regular trips to Seattle. One of his attorneys told me that they had to get a car that was armored to drive them around because there were so many death threats. The NBA commissioners were almost unanimous on the relocation vote. I still have voice mail messages that I saved over the years of people calling and threatening OKC. One of my favorite voice mails was a drunk guy calling at 2:00 am carrying on and on saying "you stole our team". that was as recent as 5 years ago.
    I will not make any excuses for Seattle Fans' poor behavior. The behavior you described is unacceptable. After 41 years of going to Sonic games, it was sad to see them leave. Regarding Key Arena, it was renovated just 10 years earlier costing $85 million, it wasn't a dump. If Bennett wasn't allowed to buy out the lease, perhaps he would have sold to Ballmer, who was going to make a $150 million donation to do a major expansion an renovation of Key Arena.

I hold no ill will towards Thunder fans. I have found Oklahoma to have more friendly and likable folks than most areas. I am a Notre Dame alumni, did go to the Norte Dame - Sooners football game at Norman, the Sooner fans were great sports.

I am sure the Thunder fans are as well.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    this is not really true at all ..

it showed that with out a new arena he would seek to move the team ..... did not show that was the goal at all .
    Seattle Times- Emails reveal new Sonics owners intended to bolt from Seattle.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...%20Carr%20said.

Blog Entries

Poor Seattle. Always the victim. It’s amazing little ole OKC was actually more savvy.

The blame is on the former owner - Schultz. Little Ole OKC has lots of advantages when it comes to pro sports. With all that open space, coupled with a large body of exuberant, and committed sports fans, I am surprised OKC doesn't have an MLB and NFL team.

Blog Entries

The blame is on the former owner - Schultz. Little Ole OKC has lots of advantages when it comes to pro sports. With all that open space, coupled with a large body of exuberant, and committed sports fans, I am surprised OKC doesn't have an MLB and NFL team.
    Now you are just looking for silly arguments to troll.

yeah i have read all of that and the emails and the court filings .. the emails were always in the context of Seattle not agreeing to build a new arena ..

if seattle had built a new arena .. the team would not have moved .. period ..

Blog Entries

NBA Re: NBA's Seattle Supersonics relocate to Oklahoma City.

VicentC, rehashing the relocation mis-steps and so-called iron clad contract to keep the Supersonics is now water-under-bridge.

Seattle has an opportunity to get the 'Seattle Supersonics' name back and into the NBA as the Emerald City is among the top cities targeted for NBA expansion.

You have an outstanding arena waiting:

NBA (Basketball) 18,300 - NHL (Ice hockey) 17,151 - Construction cost $1.15B - Opened: October 19, 2021

Bring back the rivalry with Portland and now a new arch rivalry with OUR Oklahoma City Thunder.

With the support we have for OU football, I'm also surprised we don't have an NFL team. We could definitely support one. MLB team I'm not sure. There's just not the love for baseball here as there is for football.

Echoing what others have said, had Seattle built the team a new arena, Clay wouldn't have moved the team. Would've been a financial cow for him to resale the team and keep them in Seattle. Clay loves OKC but he also loves turning profits.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    With the support we have for OU football, I'm also surprised we don't have an NFL team. We could definitely support one. MLB team I'm not sure. There's just not the love for baseball here as there is for football.

Echoing what others have said, had Seattle built the team a new arena, Clay wouldn't have moved the team. Would've been a financial cow for him to resale the team and keep them in Seattle. Clay loves OKC but he also loves turning profits.
    My view- if Seattle wouldn't have let Mr. Bennett out of the lease, it would have most likely worked out in Seattle. Folks forget, Clay only gave Seattle a 30-day warning he was moving the team to OKC unless a new Arerna was approved.

Will the Thunder get past Denver and win a title this year? So far its-Sonics - 1 Title Thunder- 0

Thread Information