Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Love's Field (softball)

Default Love's Field (softball)

I'm creating a new thread for this, as I will with all the bigger OU projects. Developments that cost tens of millions deserve their own threads!

Blog Entries

OU Re: Love's Field (softball)

Thanks Pete,

The House that Patti Gasso built. Notice there will be plenty of parking at LNC.

Default Re: Love's Field (softball)

Thank you Pete. Next time gives us a south view from the outfield.

July 16 Update

DJI_0197.JPG
    DJI_0198.JPG

^

Thank you!

thank you Pete

Thank you very much Pete

Since I'm not terrific at visualizing this stuff, I very much appreciate you taking pictures that are close to the vantage point of the rendering!

Hard to believe they will have this completed in time for the season.

Quote Originally Posted by jdross1982 View Post
    Hard to believe they will have this completed in time for the season.
    They typically don't play their first home game until March, so they have at least 7 months.

Also, they will likely still use the existing stadium to start the season and then make the move when Love's is ready to go.

Patty Gasso said in an interview it would be open at the start of next season. Which is March or April ? not sure. I know they play couple California tournaments in Feb.

The 2024 schedule isn't out yet, but I would bet they will play five weekend tournaments on the road or at a neutral site, then play the Hall of Fame Classic in OKC, then play their first Big XII series on the road. This would put the home opener on Friday, March 29th. Should be more than enough time, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

Thank you Pete

They have a lot to do in 6 months if this is to open by the beginning of the Spring season.

Sorry if I missed it, but are they going with grass or artifical turf!

Quote Originally Posted by rcjunkie View Post
    Sorry if I missed it, but are they going with grass or artifical turf!
    Grass.

Quote Originally Posted by chssooner View Post
    They have a lot to do in 6 months if this is to open by the beginning of the Spring season.
    I imagine with the flash drought, they are on schedule or ahead of schedule. Looks to me they are way down the road on this project.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    I imagine with the flash drought, they are on schedule or ahead of schedule. Looks to me they are way down the road on this project.
    I would agree. It feels like the biggest issue is going to be getting the grass in good shape since they'll likely be putting sod down in the middle of winter.

Joe Castiglione said this week that this project is on schedule.

I'm sure they'll play at the new facility in the coming season, the only question is if they'll start at Hines Field and then cut over sometime later. But they certainly will be in the new place long before hosting the regionals and super regionals (OU has made the supers 13 seasons in a row).

Press release:

The current stadium only holds 1,600, so this new facility will increase that by 2.5x.

Love's Field Capacity Announced; Seat Selection to Resume in November
    September 29, 2023 | Softball

NORMAN — The University of Oklahoma Athletics Department announced Friday a final fan capacity for Love's Field — OU Softball's home that will debut in the spring — and that the stadium's seat-selection process will resume this November.

OU Vice President and Athletics Director Joe Castiglione said the department and project architects worked diligently to maximize the stadium's capacity. The original capacity projection was approximately 3,000, but the final Love's Field capacity will be 4,200.

"Since the start, we've approached the design of Love's Field with our fans in mind," said Castiglione. "Because we know the demand for OU Softball is sky high, we took great care to increase the capacity wherever we could while maintaining the overall fan experience. We're thrilled with the results, as we've shattered our original expected capacity of about 3,000, now with 3,543 in fixed seating and an additional 657 in standing room. At every home game, we'll now have the opportunity for more than 4,000 Sooner fans to cheer our team to victory in the biggest and best collegiate softball stadium in the country."

The Love's Field seat-selection process for the 2024 softball season will resume in November with those in Groups 2 and 3 whose assigned selection time was not initially available during the first phase of the selection process this summer.

Seats will be selected via an online Love's Field seat map. Groups 2 and 3 members whose assigned selection time was not available during the first phase of the selection process will be assigned a selection time in which they can view inventory and make seat selections as availability allows. Available seat locations are in the outfield reserved sections and require paying only the annual season ticket cost. To maximize capacity of Love's Field, some sections in the outfield have been altered since the original selection process. Those who previously selected seats in these locations that may be impacted by this adjustment will be contacted prior to the selection process resuming in November.

Supporters in both groups will be ranked via Sooner Points associated with their OU Athletics account. Sooner Points accumulate for OU Athletics lifetime season ticket purchases, seat-related giving history and attendance. Assigned selection times and instructions will be provided via email to account holders prior to the start of the November selection process. Groups 2 and 3 are not guaranteed the opportunity to purchase season tickets, as seat locations throughout Love's Field are subject to availability and the selections made by those with earlier assigned times.

Fans in Groups 2 and 3 who have do not receive seat-selection information via email today can contact the Sooner Club at 405-325-8000.

Love's Field will also feature a 10,669-square-foot indoor training center and several team spaces, including a training room, locker room and classroom. It will also have space for a recognition area to showcase national championships, All-Americans and other outstanding accomplishments.

Plans call for the overall square footage of the complex to reach 44,000, compared to 15,168 at Marita Hynes Field, OU's present facility. The team areas will expand from 2,598 square feet to 5,593 square feet and the indoor practice facility will jump from 4,744 square feet to 10,669 square feet.

Head coach Patty Gasso and her 2023 team toured the Love's Field construction site Wednesday afternoon for the first time, and each squad member signed the final light pole before watching it hoisted into place in right center field.

"When we were standing above the outfield looking toward home plate, we were in awe," said Gasso, who has led OU to seven national championships, including six of the last 10 and each of the last three. "It was hard to comprehend the beauty and scope of what we were looking at, considering where we played when I started coaching here. I stood there and reflected on all my years at OU and all the athletes who laid the foundation for this program. I'm reminded of where we started this journey whenever I drive by Reaves Park. Then we stepped across the street to Marita Hynes Field. And now we're on the cusp of having Love's Field — the premier college softball facility in the country — as our home. I'm so grateful for everyone who helped us get to this point, and am incredibly excited for what's still to come."

OU starts its fall competition schedule on Wednesday, Oct. 4, at 6 p.m. CT when it plays the first of six Oklahoma Battle Series games at Marita Hynes Field. The Sooners will also host North Central Texas College on Oct. 16 and Seminole State College on Oct. 23, both at 6 p.m.

Individuals interested in giving to Love's Field should contact the Sooner Club at (405) 325-8000 or visit TheSoonerClub.com/softball.

They said this week that the new stadium is on schedule to open at the first of the spring season; first home game is usually in March.

25. Default Re: Love's Field (softball)

That's looking very good!

Thread Information