Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Love's Field (softball)

Default Re: Love's Field (softball)

Looks like the sod is being put in. https://x.com/JasonFaires/status/175...141830361?s=20

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    That vid was probably within a few hours of my photos on Saturday.

Haha... I keep posting progress, people keep sharing it, and now they finally have started to share some vid/photos.

I probably go down this weekend again as by then we'll be less than 14 days from the home opener.
    You're the man, Pete. For those of us who live out of state the photos's by you are very much appreciated. It's really hard to drive 400 miles round trip just to see how the new stadium is going as far as being completed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bodie View Post
    You're the man, Pete. For those of us who live out of state the photos's by you are very much appreciated. It's really hard to drive 400 miles round trip just to see how the new stadium is going as far as being completed.
    Adding on to this, OKCtalk is a fantastic forum that just does not exist for a lot of cities of similar size. I grew up all over the East coast, and have not found anything close to the quality of reporting and content. I spent a lot of my childhood in Charlotte and nothing comes close to OKCtalk's quality. .

Taken Sunday 10/18:

5. Default Re: Love's Field (softball)

thank you Pete

We have GRASS!! Thanks so much, Pete.

As expected, the areas behind the plate and near the dugouts are artificial turf; even the black areas are fake grass. The artificial turf in the bullpens is also black for some reason.

First home game is a week from Friday, so they must get the concrete poured along the top concourses for both the main grandstand and outfield, otherwise there is no way to get people in and out and have them circulate. Also have to finish the perimeter fencing and put padding along the playfield walls.

Not sure if the restrooms will be ready or if they'll bring in porta-potties. Hopefully the main scoreboard will be functional.

I bet they will be still putting on the finishing touches (like landscaping) throughout the season.

Looks like great weather for the next 10 days and there were a ton of people out there working at 10 AM on a Sunday.

You obviously got a better look at it than I did, but I think that turf is just dark brown. For some reason artificial turf dirt is always the wrong shade of brown. You can see it at L.Dale too -- the dirt never looks right.

https://twitter.com/AstroTurfUSA/sta...233936/photo/1

I bet Joe C. and Patty are really disappointed that so much will be unfinished for the first series.

I'm curious what that slab is in the last picture, just east of the grandstand. There's nothing like that in the renderings. Maybe for picnic tables or food trucks?

That is a very lovely facility, you just can't beat red brick.

Quote Originally Posted by VanHammersly View Post
    I'm curious what that slab is in the last picture, just east of the grandstand. There's nothing like that in the renderings. Maybe for picnic tables or food trucks?
    It almost is a continuation of the path behind the outfield bleachers and directly in line with a couple stairs to one of the larger bleacher sections, so plausibly a heavy traffic walkway to a main gate. Though I could also see an argument for a secured space for the visiting team's motor coach and other vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    It almost aligns with the path behind the outfield seating so plausibly a main path for the crowd to walk in/out, though I could also see an argument for a secured space for the visiting team's motor coach and other vehicles.
    Good call. Could also be for the television remote trucks.

seems likely to be player parking

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    seems likely to be player parking
    If the home team players have parking planned, it is probably in the lot closer to the team facilities on the 3rd base side. Given the distances traveled, it seems unlikely individual players of visiting teams would be driving themselves.

That big paved area is within the gates, so it won't be parking.

The OU tickets map shows it as a fan plaza. The red lines in the 2nd image depict the base of the fencing. Looks like there will be a big gate to allow food trucks and perhaps the setup of tents for merchandise and other things.

Pete, is the land north of that red line going to be “home run village” or is that land not part of the softball complex?

Pete, is the land north of that red line going to be “home run village” or is that land not part of the softball complex?
    Not sure -- haven't heard anything about the area beyond the gates.

Wow didn't realize the SRO area would be in that area. That's where my son got tix for next Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    Wow didn't realize the SRO area would be in that area. That's where my son got tix for next Friday.
    SRO is also around the grandstand and the outfield. If you look at the map it's shaded blue. Really the only place prohibited is right behind home plate, sections 5-9.

22. Default Re: Love's Field (softball)

Looks like the padding is going up on the outfield wall https://twitter.com/i/status/1760030746184433720

23. Default Re: Love's Field (softball)

Pete, I have looked at all of the pics of the softball indoor hitting facility, and the only doors in to it that I see are down by the bullpen. Unless there is a underground tunnel from the locker room to the hitting facility. Very strange. No windows or doors on 3 sides of it.

Quote Originally Posted by HillcountrySooner View Post
    Pete, I have looked at all of the pics of the softball indoor hitting facility, and the only doors in to it that I see are down by the bullpen. Unless there is a underground tunnel from the locker room to the hitting facility. Very strange. No windows or doors on 3 sides of it.
    Most of the indoor practice facility is below ground; or more precisely at field level. What you are seeing on the east, west, and south sides is the top of it sticking up above the ground. There are only windows on the north side to stop direct sunlight from coming in. It is only one level but very tall and open; if there were doors on the other sides they would open to about a 20' drop down onto the practice field.

And yes, there is a tunnel that connects the locker room, dugout, and practice facility. The home locker facility is actually two levels, the lower level being field level and with the tunnels; a lot of the top level is for public restrooms and concessions. I believe in the home locker facility the showers are below ground and then the actual locker room is above. (2nd image shows the field-level tunnels, indoor practice facility and the home locker rooms.)

3rd image shows the 2nd level starting at the home locker room building, the tunnels starting to be covered, and the structure of the practice facility with the high roof.

This is what the current indoor practice facility looks like. They new one will be similar but bigger and nicer:

Thread Information