Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Indictments at OSDE?

Default Indictments at OSDE?

Could there be criminal charges at the start of the new school year?
    https://kfor-com.cdn.ampproject.org/...udit%2F⁸

2. Default Re: Indictments at OSDE?

Ryan Walters is either incompetent or corrupt, but most likely both. We'll see if the facts merit prosecution, but at the very least his actions to date merit impeachment.

Default Re: Indictments at OSDE?

Quote Originally Posted by catcherinthewry View Post
    Ryan Walters is either incompetent or corrupt, but most likely both. We'll see if the facts merit prosecution, but at the very least his actions to date merit impeachment.
    It appears that this could go to the Governor's office.
    Federal and State charges could be in play.
    https://www.kjrh.com/news/local-news...itts-direction

What exactly are you guys upset about? There were two programs designed to help low income students stay in school. The governor identified 5 private schools that had a high percentage of low-income students and made them aware of the program in advance. I don't see anywhere were it said their applications were accepted early, just that they could use the portal. But these were 5 schools that serve primarily low-income students. It isn't like the money went to Cassidy.

The second program paid the money directly to low income parents who were supposed to buy school related items. Now I would be the first to agree that a toaster oven isn't a necessary school supply, but....then we have the school lunch program predicated on the belief that children don't get fed at home so the school supplies it, so maybe someone could argue a toaster (or other kitchen appliance) IS a necessary education item when the school is closed.

5. Default Re: Indictments at OSDE?

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    What exactly are you guys upset about? There were two programs designed to help low income students stay in school. The governor identified 5 private schools that had a high percentage of low-income students and made them aware of the program in advance. I don't see anywhere were it said their applications were accepted early, just that they could use the portal. But these were 5 schools that serve primarily low-income students. It isn't like the money went to Cassidy.

The second program paid the money directly to low income parents who were supposed to buy school related items. Now I would be the first to agree that a toaster oven isn't a necessary school supply, but....then we have the school lunch program predicated on the belief that children don't get fed at home so the school supplies it, so maybe someone could argue a toaster (or other kitchen appliance) IS a necessary education item when the school is closed.
    Sounds like you're just buying Stitt and Walter's explanation. If you want the real story read this article.

https://www.readfrontier.org/stories...ing-poor-kids/

Or better yet, read the audit.

https://www.sai.ok.gov/Byrd_SFY21_Fe...it_Release.pdf

Thanks for the links and I'll read them as soon as I can. I'm not an apologist for anyone but I don't get upset with stuff just because someone told me I should be upset - and it really looks to me with what I know so far that this is the case here. Honestly, if Stitt had a D behind his name I would think the very people crying foul here would instead be applauding. But I'm open to be wrong so I'll take a look at your items.

Okay - read both links and I am going stand by what I have already said. Despite all the hand ringing, only $650,000 is being asked to be returned. The real failure here is giving federal money directly to people, but that failure is rampant across almost every federal social program. I know people who sold milk vouchers so they could buy drugs.

As for the "special interest" and "secret private schools"; they aren't secret, their names have been published and they were all private schools that cater almost exclusively to poor families. Now yes, if the tuition for those students were already covered under another program then the school is double-dipping but I have no doubt the headline in that case would be "Stitt Rips Funds from Poor Kids".

When my son was little all he would eat was hotdogs and chicken strips but I quickly figured out that what he really wanted to eat was ketchup and hotdogs/chicken fingers were just the delivery vehicle and when I took the ketchup away he started eating other foods.

I think that is what is happening here. You want to hate Stitt, and this is just an opportunity to do so.

8. Default Re: Indictments at OSDE?

Okay - read both links and I am going stand by what I have already said. Despite all the hand ringing, only $650,000 is being asked to be returned. The real failure here is giving federal money directly to people, but that failure is rampant across almost every federal social program. I know people who sold milk vouchers so they could buy drugs.

As for the "special interest" and "secret private schools"; they aren't secret, their names have been published and they were all private schools that cater almost exclusively to poor families. Now yes, if the tuition for those students were already covered under another program then the school is double-dipping but I have no doubt the headline in that case would be "Stitt Rips Funds from Poor Kids".

When my son was little all he would eat was hotdogs and chicken strips but I quickly figured out that what he really wanted to eat was ketchup and hotdogs/chicken fingers were just the delivery vehicle and when I took the ketchup away he started eating other foods.

I think that is what is happening here. You want to hate Stitt, and this is just an opportunity to do so.
    So this didn't bother you a bit?

Stay in School program administrators allowed the five schools to hold an open house to accept applications before the forms were made available to the general public.

Students from the preferred schools were awarded the maximum $6,500 per-student and received enrollment exceptions for children who had not previously attended, the audit found.

After funds ran dry, 657 students of low-income families who qualified for the Stay in School program did not get the financial assistance. More than $5.3 million went to families who said they did not have a pandemic-related financial hardship. The audit also found private schools received $1.8 million in excess of families’ tuition responsibilities.

Or this?

According to Byrd’s report, administrators of the Stay in School program were involved in a “deliberate operation to give selected private schools and individuals preferential treatment by allowing early access for application submission prior to the date this program was offered to the general public.”

Or this?

The report found programs were overseen by individuals and private organizations who were unqualified, didn’t have contracts with the state authorizing them to perform the work and were granted access to confidential student records.

“This was a tangled web of government agencies, non-profit organizations, and non-government individuals representing special interest groups managing millions of tax dollars with no contracts and no written agreements,” Byrd said. “Sadly, millions of tax dollars were misspent because certain individuals who were put in charge of managing these programs seemingly ignored federal grant guidelines.”

Is that how you want your state run?

Yes it bothers me, but obviously not to the extent that it is bothering you and others. It bothers me in sense that it is just another federal program run amuck, but where is the news in that? Every single federal program regardless of who implements it is strife with fraud and misappropriations.

And they keep using the "select private schools" and similar language to imply some senister underground funneling of money. The governor identified 5 private schools that cater to those most in need of this program. Are you really that upset with that? Honestly, would you actually want that to happen?

Every program runs out of money because we have a large segment of our society looking for every handout they can get. Name one single state, local, or federal program that has money left over.

If schools double -dipped then yes they should pay the money back but I don't want to hear a bunch of belly-aching about pulling funds from poor kids when it happens.

10. Default Re: Indictments at OSDE?

Despite all the hand ringing, only $650,000 is being asked to be returned.
    $650,000 so far. The State Auditor found over $29.2M in mishandled funds that was required to be reported to the federal government. In the Stay In School program alone $6.5M in grant funds were found to be questionable. That was 65% of the total!

https://kfor.com/news/local/state-au...ederal-grants/

At a certain point one has to wonder (well, obviously not you) when these actions move from incompetence to corruption to criminal.

Yes, but the Feds still only asked for $650,000 back.

Are you wanting arrest the parent that bought a microwave? Does that parent get to keep the microwave or should they box it back up and return to sender?

The Feds gave money to the State and the State gave the money to parents to assist with educational needs. The parents misspent the money.

12. Default Re: Indictments at OSDE?

And they keep using the "select private schools" and similar language to imply some senister underground funneling of money. The governor identified 5 private schools that cater to those most in need of this program. Are you really that upset with that? Honestly, would you actually want that to happen?
    Once again you're just repeating the governor's spin. Next are you going to repeat his and Walter's lie that all the misspent money for GEER was Class Wallet's fault?

This is what bothers me, that more than $5.3M went to families that said they had NO financial hardship and 657 students of needy families got nothing because they weren't given the preferential treatment of early access.

13. Default Re: Indictments at OSDE?

Yes, but the Feds still only asked for $650,000 back. Are you wanting arrest the parent that bought a microwave? Does that parent get to keep the microwave or should they box it back up and return to sender?

The Feds gave miney to the State and the State gave the money to parents to assist with educational needs. The parents misspent the money.
    Why are you changing the subject? Every family that bought non-educational goods did so legally because Walters failed to put any limits on what they could buy. Class Wallet sent him an email asking if he wanted to put limits on purchases (as the 27 other states they assisted did) and he said no. The state (us, the taxpayers) is liable thanks to Walters.

Should there have been limits, absolutely, but what should those limits have been if it were up to you to put the restrictions on it? What do you think a parent should be able to use public funds on to raise their own children?

Blog Entries

Yes it bothers me, but obviously not to the extent that it is bothering you and others. It bothers me in sense that it is just another federal program run amuck, but where is the news in that? Every single federal program regardless of who implements it is strife with fraud and misappropriations.

Every program runs out of money because we have a large segment of our society looking for every handout they can get. Name one single state, local, or federal program that has money left over.

If schools double -dipped then yes they should pay the money back but I don't want to hear a bunch of belly-aching about pulling funds from poor kids when it happens.
    Just repeated spin from the Oklahoma extremists. Deny, spin, obfuscate. Redirect.

16. Default Re: Indictments at OSDE?

Should there have been limits, absolutely, but what should those limits have been if it were up to you to put the restrictions on it? What do you think a parent should be able to use public funds on to raise their own children?
    Why do you keep trying to change the subject from the incompetence/corruption of Stitt & Walters?

Blog Entries

Thanks for the links and I'll read them as soon as I can. I'm not an apologist for anyone but I don't get upset with stuff just because someone told me I should be upset - and it really looks to me with what I know so far that this is the case here. Honestly, if Stitt had a D behind his name I would think the very people crying foul here would instead be applauding. But I'm open to be wrong so I'll take a look at your items.
    No.

The audit was completed by the Republican state auditor Cindy Byrd.

And the Republican Attorney General Getner Drummond isn't happy about it either and is looking into criminal activity.

https://tulsaworld.com/news/state-re...home-top-story

See, this where you lose me. What corruption? I read the report and it doesn't present any facts related to corruption. It makes accusations and uses language like "special interest" and "preferential treatment". Those are litterally dog whistles to get people riled up, and specifically people prone to being riled up (see Trump 101). It doesn't even say what special interest and what preferential treatment, unless you want to say that special interest were poor kids, and the preferential treatment was letting them apply early, but hell, the report doesn't even specify what 'early' is.

Anyhow, I think I've covered my point of view so I'll be happy to give others the last word, and I'll wait until further details are revealed. Who knows, I might even change my mind but until then I keep my torch and pitchfork in their cases.

The question might be better asked of the AG " Why is there a criminal investigation"?
    This Governor has been cavaliar with public monies from purchasing a million dollars worth of a unproven non effective drug that was touted by the leader of the GOP to a 2 million no bid contract to a Tulsa bar owner for facemasks that were not by and large delivered.
    We are upset at the ongoing incompetance. To blame it on the Oklahoma parents when other states figured it out on appropriate school supplies is more buck passing. To rationalize a toaster oven as a school supply when schools are closed is silly. Schools were closed on weekends, holidays, and the summer before the pandemic.

Is there a criminal investigation? I just read that the AG said if they uncovered any criminal activity in the audit they would prosecute it. Well duh, that is true of almost everything. That is kind of their entire job.

I agree with you 100% on your last sentence. Why should schools have to feed children for free even when they are open?

Blog Entries

I agree with you 100% on your last sentence. Why should schools have to feed children for free even when they are open?
    That’s not what he was saying and you know it.

You don’t appear stupid, so I assume you are purposely spinning to a political purpose. We know that feeding young kids whose parents are financially unable to provide good nutrition penalizes those kids and their ability to learn, helping keeping them in a cycle of poverty. Not helping these kids is a good way for the haves to keep the have nots down. It’s a great way for those that claim to be for a merit based system to keep things tilted in their favor.

Good grief, why did Just the facts, get banned? He didn't call anybody names. I was following an interesting and informative discussion. Just the facts has been a credit to this forum ever since 2011 with a whopping 15,381 posts! If the problem is about politics, well it can be hard to always steer clear of politics, whether you want to bring up controversies regarding the development and expansion of Oklahoma City or the entire state of Oklahoma. To me, contributors of very long duration, such as Just the facts, should at most be disciplined in some way such as a temporary suspension and never a permanent ban.

I would prefer going back to a forum just for politics, if it can be monitored better than before. A well monitored political forum doesn't necessarily have to end up being a bad reflection upon OKC Talk or Oklahoma City and would result in increased web traffic.

And if I'm wrong for being out of place and discussion of politics here is banned, then why not just delete this entire thread now?

23. Default Re: Indictments at OSDE?

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    Good grief, why did Just the facts, get banned?
    I didn't realize he was banned, but I've had him on mute for some time and only saw his posts when another poster would quote him. That being said, wasn't he gone for a long time? When he came back he seemed totally different than the JTF of yore. Ironically, he didn't seemed too interested in facts in his current incarnation.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by catcherinthewry View Post
    I didn't realize he was banned, but I've had him on mute for some time and only saw his posts when another poster would quote him. That being said, wasn't he gone for a long time? When he came back he seemed totally different than the JTF of yore. Ironically, he didn't seemed too interested in facts in his current incarnation.
    This is spot on. The JTF that returned wasn’t the same.

You are such an ideologue — and you don’t live here. Ryan Walters is a book-banning Nazi and Stitt is a troll. They are pushing to get government money into the hands of private school parents. It’s a long-time conservative wet dream. They don’t let silly laws and auditors get in the way.

That you wouldn’t be bothered by this speaks to the cult-like lawlessness of the Trump era.

Thread Information