Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New major hospital

Default New major hospital

I've been wondering what the odds are that we have a new, major hospital built in the OKC area. I'm talking a hospital like Mercy, Baptist, or SW Medical Center. Yeah, there are a lot of micro hospitals all over the place, but they don't offer the level of care, especially for traumas, cardiac cases, etc, that regular hospitals offer. I'd love to see a new, major hospital built that's a level 1 trauma center.

HangryHippo Guest

Default Re: New major hospital

OU Health (downtown) is THE Level 1 trauma center for the state. They’re not easy to get and it’s extremely unlikely another one is built.

One of the issues is that patients are staying shorter times in hospitals. Part of this is insurance related and part to advanced technology. A lot of rural hospitals in the country are closing. Add the issues of staffing. I dont see it happening. Level 1 Trama centers are expensive. There is a reason why there is only one in our state.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisHayes View Post
    I've been wondering what the odds are that we have a new, major hospital built in the OKC area. I'm talking a hospital like Mercy, Baptist, or SW Medical Center. Yeah, there are a lot of micro hospitals all over the place, but they don't offer the level of care, especially for traumas, cardiac cases, etc, that regular hospitals offer. I'd love to see a new, major hospital built that's a level 1 trauma center.
    is there a need for another major hospital in the metro?

There seems to be a strong trend toward one major complex with a bunch of satellite facilities.

I'd say yes, or maybe Tulsa needs one to so OK will have two. With one Level 1 Trauma Center, that's 1 for every 1.4 million. Compare that to DFW with 8 trauma centers, that's 1 : 0.99 million.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisHayes View Post
    This wouldn't be a public hospital, but I remember a bit back someone had posted about a new Native American Hospital to be built in Newcastle.

Quote Originally Posted by Triggerman View Post
    I'd say yes, or maybe Tulsa needs one to so OK will have two. With one Level 1 Trauma Center, that's 1 for every 1.4 million. Compare that to DFW with 8 trauma centers, that's 1 : 0.99 million.
    Exactly why would you say yes? Is OKC being underserved by OU? Do you any facts that would suggest that?

9. Default Re: New major hospital

We (Seattle-Tacoma) only have one Level 1 Trauma center as well, Harbourview Medical Center in Seattle; which serves not only WA state but also Alaska and I think Oregon, Montana, and Idaho. That's one Level 1 Trauma center for the entire Pacific Northwest and Northern Rockies. if I'm correct about Oregon. Vancouver has Level 1 Trauma centers but that's Canada not the US.

They fly patients from all over the Pac NW to Harbourview. I also believe Harbourview works as a teaching hospital alongside the UW Medical Center. It's a bit complicated in that regard as to who's who but the point is we have one Level 1 Trauma Center for about 12 million people or so with a MUCH wider geographic area (perhaps the biggest in the USA) than OU Medical Level 1 in OKC.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Integris Baptist is working on becoming a level 1 trauma center.

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    We (Seattle-Tacoma) only have one Level 1 Trauma center as well, Harbourview Medical Center in Seattle; which serves not only WA state but also Alaska and I think Oregon, Montana, and Idaho. That's one Level 1 Trauma center for the entire Pacific Northwest and Northern Rockies. if I'm correct about Oregon. Vancouver has Level 1 Trauma centers but that's Canada not the US.

They fly patients from all over the Pac NW to Harbourview. I also believe Harbourview works as a teaching hospital alongside the UW Medical Center. It's a bit complicated in that regard as to who's who but the point is we have one Level 1 Trauma Center for about 12 million people or so with a MUCH wider geographic area (perhaps the biggest in the USA) than OU Medical Level 1 in OKC.
    Are you positive about that? Not calling you a liar but wow that’s hard to believe.

Quote Originally Posted by HangryHippo View Post
    OU Health (downtown) is THE Level 1 trauma center for the state. They’re not easy to get and it’s extremely unlikely another one is built.
    OU was 1.3 billion in debt for 2022 and part of that was trauma billing. In a state with many underinsured or uninsured citizens, the Trauma center writes off quite a bit. The legislature is had a vested interest in keeping OU above water but not sure why we'd need a second one since there's not enough population or state appropriations to support a second one. They are the hospital equivalents of money pits.

Quote Originally Posted by HangryHippo View Post
    OU was 1.3 billion in debt for 2022 and part of that was trauma billing. In a state with many underinsured or uninsured citizens, the Trauma center writes off quite a bit. The legislature is had a vested interest in keeping OU above water but not sure why we'd need a second one since there's not enough population or state appropriations to support a second one. They are the hospital equivalents of money pits.

Blog Entries

Tulsa's St Francis hospital, which is the largest in the state, used to be a level 1 trauma center but gave it up years ago for money reasons.

I found this old article from 2003.

https://www.oklahoman.com/story/news...s/62044261007/

15. Default Re: New major hospital

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Are you positive about that? Not calling you a liar but wow that’s hard to believe.
    yes, not a liar. I did see that Portland does have a Level 1 trauma center (2 actually) according to wikipedia. but our Harbourview serves WA, AK, N Idaho, MT - still the largest region in the US.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Quote Originally Posted by unfundedrick View Post
    Exactly why would you say yes? Is OKC being underserved by OU? Do you any facts that would suggest that?
    I said yes because IMO it's better for Oklahoma to have two Level 1 centers vs just one. More choice and another place to send patients too. And nowhere in my previous post did I even mention OU or it underserving OKC. DFW has 8 Level 1 trauma centers for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Triggerman View Post
    I said yes because IMO it's better for Oklahoma to have two Level 1 centers vs just one. More choice and another place to send patients too. And nowhere in my previous post did I even mention OU or it underserving OKC. DFW has 8 Level 1 trauma centers for example.
    If that is your reasoning, why not have 3 or 4 or 5? Why is more choice and another place needed? As was mentioned previously by another poster, money has to come into some consideration about this. I have heard no evidence that Oklahoma is not being served in an efficient manner with just one.

Blog Entries

Here are the details on what is a trauma one vs trauma two center. Mostly about being a teaching hospital attached to a university.

Level II: A facility which staffs a 24-hour trauma service with at least an emergency department physician, and which maintains a surgeon-led trauma team with rigorous response standards, capable of immediate surgical intervention when necessary. 24-hour neurosurgical capacity is required. Extensive specialty services are available, including cardiac, thoracic and orthopedic surgery. This is a tertiary referral facility, capable of managing all types of trauma.

Level I: This is the highest level, with all the features of level II, plus physician anesthesia and a trauma research program. This is a trauma care teaching facility.
    https://www.okoha.com/OHA/Health_Car...0is%20required.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see OSU have a Level 1 trauma center in Tulsa. They are building a medical district that also includes the health sciences center, VA hospital, mental health treatment center and research buildings.

Quote Originally Posted by unfundedrick View Post
    If that is your reasoning, why not have 3 or 4 or 5? Why is more choice and another place needed? As was mentioned previously by another poster, money has to come into some consideration about this. I have heard no evidence that Oklahoma is not being served in an efficient manner with just one.
    If you’re fine with just one Level 1 trauma in Oklahoma then that’s your opinion. Mine says if another hospital can rise up to Level 1 than that’s even better

Another thing this state needs is a few more burn unit ICUs. A second one in OKC and one in Tulsa. Being in the burn unit for 30+ days is pretty typical and the lack of burn units means patients can end up at a hospital nowhere near where they live.

Source by chance?

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin View Post
    Integris Baptist is working on becoming a level 1 trauma center.
    Source by chance?

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth_RN View Post
    Source by chance?
    They are bleeding physicians from what I hear. They totally abuse their neurosurgeons.

Quote Originally Posted by no1cub17 View Post
    They are bleeding physicians from what I hear. They totally abuse their neurosurgeons.
    They have one neurosurgeon who is soon to retire, one who is work hungry and a couple more who work but could take more volume. The neurosurgery group as a whole is growing at Baptist as well as the old Deaconess location.

Thread Information