Widgets Magazine

Thread: Incompetance or fraud?

Default Incompetance or fraud?

https://freepressokc.com/auditor-okl...s-incorrectly/

I hope that the tax payers are not on the hook for these millions.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Incompetance or fraud?

Incompetence or fraud?

Why not both?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Swake View Post
    Incompetence or fraud?

Why not both?
    Two heads need to be put on the chopping block. Oklahoma would be much better off without them.

I think both, leaning towards incompetence. A lot of states are finding what they spent Covid money on wasn't appropriate. Not just Oklahoma, and only approximately $30 million out of $14 billion isn't bad. Washington state was worse.

https://sao.wa.gov/37-billion-and-co...021-%EF%BF%BC/

So I think it is more an incompetence issue, versus fraud. Otherwise, you will have government leaders in both red and blue states who will be guilty of fraud.

5. Default Re: Incompetance or fraud?

Quote Originally Posted by chssooner View Post
    I think both, leaning towards incompetence. A lot of states are finding what they spent Covid money on wasn't appropriate. Not just Oklahoma, and only approximately $30 million out of $14 billion isn't bad. Washington state was worse.

So I think it is more an incompetence issue, versus fraud. Otherwise, you will have government leaders in both red and blue states who will be guilty of fraud.
    There are definitely elements of fraud in the reporting.

1. A private school voucher program funded with federal pandemic relief dollars selected schools for preferential treatment, awarded funds to families not facing financial hardship, and then ran out of funds that could have been used by families that were.
    2. Auditors found five private schools were given early access to apply before the program went live. One school received $6,000 per student and the others collected the full amount of $6,500 per student, even though the program was supposed to pay families’ actual tuition costs and some of those schools don’t charge tuition.
    3. A special interest group, Libertas Consulting, selected the five schools given preferential treatment. Though unnamed in the audit, the president of Libertas Consulting is Jennifer Carter, who is also the senior advisor for the American Federation for Children in Oklahoma and served as campaign manager and chief of staff for former state Superintendent Janet Barresi. Carter was given the authority to choose the direction of the program even though she didn’t have a contract with the state.

Quote Originally Posted by catcherinthewry View Post
    There are definitely elements of fraud in the reporting.

1. A private school voucher program funded with federal pandemic relief dollars selected schools for preferential treatment, awarded funds to families not facing financial hardship, and then ran out of funds that could have been used by families that were.
    2. Auditors found five private schools were given early access to apply before the program went live. One school received $6,000 per student and the others collected the full amount of $6,500 per student, even though the program was supposed to pay families’ actual tuition costs and some of those schools don’t charge tuition.
    3. A special interest group, Libertas Consulting, selected the five schools given preferential treatment. Though unnamed in the audit, the president of Libertas Consulting is Jennifer Carter, who is also the senior advisor for the American Federation for Children in Oklahoma and served as campaign manager and chief of staff for former state Superintendent Janet Barresi. Carter was given the authority to choose the direction of the program even though she didn’t have a contract with the state.
    Then there will be 50 states with fraud charges against them. I said a bit of both, and I think it fits. But I think not every questioned cost is fraud.

7. Default Re: Incompetance or fraud?

Then there will be 50 states with fraud charges against them. I said a bit of both, and I think it fits. But I think not every questioned cost is fraud.
    I don't know about other states, but our leadership deliberately acted to give certain individuals/schools preference over others.

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    Two heads need to be put on the chopping block. Oklahoma would be much better off without them.
    Not Necessarily

9. Default Re: Incompetance or fraud?

Quote Originally Posted by April in the Plaza View Post
    Not Necessarily
    Yeah, now that we're a Top 10 State why would we want to change leadership?/S

I want this to stay focused on Oklahoma and not slide into red-blue state issue.
    "Whataboutism" is not only a weak arguement to deflect accountability it also is a slippery slope.

Thread Information