Widgets Magazine

Thread: Italian Ice

Default Italian Ice

Looking for a good Italian Ice place in the Metro, if one exists. City Flavors was the gold standard back in the day but they closed up shop in 2018 and I'm not sure that anyone has adequately replaced them since then. Rita's just opened recently in Edmond but is disappointingly about the same watery consistency as shaved ice. There's a Just Desserts food truck that is great but they only seem to do events once in a blue moon. Is there anywhere that I'm missing?

2. Default Re: Italian Ice

For me, it's water ice, Philly born and raised! Rita's is all over back home and it's the more loose type like you mentioned, served in a cup. I recall the firm icey type served in the paper cone. Today would be a great day for some!

Default Re: Italian Ice

Answering my own question, recently found a couple of places on the Eastside serving great Philadelphia Water Ice. Preferable to shaved ice, IMO.

Frozen Philly - 1401 NE 30th Street
    Philly Phlavorz - 1212 NE 23rd Street

Oh that’s good to know. Between Rita’s and Yuengling coming to OKC recently it’s been fun to see some staples of my youth growing up in Chester County. If only we could get Wawa out here.

Quote Originally Posted by PoliSciGuy View Post
    Oh that’s good to know. Between Rita’s and Yuengling coming to OKC recently it’s been fun to see some staples of my youth growing up in Chester County. If only we could get Wawa out here.
    So many local delicacies aren't a secret anymore, it seems. Having moved here from Michigan, I never would have thought that there would ever be multiple restaurants in OKC that serve Detroit-style pizza, and good Detroit-style pizza at that. Now we just need a Cincinnati chili place lol (though fortunately that isn't a difficult recipe to make).

Thread Information