Widgets Magazine

Thread: Heritage Park Mall - The Saga May Be Nearing Its End

1. Default Heritage Park Mall - The Saga May Be Nearing Its End

https://www.oklahoman.com/story/news...n/70267197007/

Lackmeyer actually had a pretty good piece with a balanced and factual details.

I believe it was the Midwest City Beacon that had previous had a story regarding the current owner being full of empty promises and the city of MWC partnering with the Hospital Authority to claim the mall under Eminent Domain. There's that ED work again in MWC. And again, with the city and Hospital Authority working on a retail area. The city ended up losing that court battle regarding Town Center, but by then they really had won the war with the overall project. I dont expect to see the same kind of battle here since there are no homes involved.

It won't function as a mall ever again, but it did have an opportunity to serve other purposes for a bit. I'm afraid that this owner's lack of maintenance has done the place in with mold and water issues though. I think we're better off dozing it and starting over.

Honestly, i'm thinking someone should offer to purchase the LifePoint building and then build a new one for them on the grounds, but less "in the middle of things" so a new development has a chance to start with the whole parcel.

Default Re: Heritage Park Mall - The Saga May Be Nearing Its End

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    https://www.oklahoman.com/story/news...n/70267197007/

Lackmeyer actually had a pretty good piece with a balanced and factual details.

I believe it was the Midwest City Beacon that had previous had a story regarding the current owner being full of empty promises and the city of MWC partnering with the Hospital Authority to claim the mall under Eminent Domain. There's that ED work again in MWC. And again, with the city and Hospital Authority working on a retail area. The city ended up losing that court battle regarding Town Center, but by then they really had won the war with the overall project. I dont expect to see the same kind of battle here since there are no homes involved.

It won't function as a mall ever again, but it did have an opportunity to serve other purposes for a bit. I'm afraid that this owner's lack of maintenance has done the place in with mold and water issues though. I think we're better off dozing it and starting over.

Honestly, i'm thinking someone should offer to purchase the LifePoint building and then build a new one for them on the grounds, but less "in the middle of things" so a new development has a chance to start with the whole parcel.
    LifeChurch owns the parking lots that surround their end of the building. LifeChurch runs a church and storage/supply hub out of that building as well. They could easy rebuild to a building serving both purposes.

They have been talking about building a new Y with an aquatic center with Mid Del Schools, City of Midwest City and the Y sharing the cost. The mall site would be great for that. I also think that would be a good spot for new single family housing. They definitely don’t need apartments in that area as there are already too many in that area.

3. Default Re: Heritage Park Mall - The Saga May Be Nearing Its End

Oh my gosh yes! The MWC Y is so sad and old. A joint effort like that would be a WONDERFUL use of the space. I dont think it would take up even half of the space, but what a good start. The old Y could be made in to a small park.

Lackmeyer did a pretty good write up on this. It’s no surprise that Bahareni (sp) is playing the victim. He’s had plenty of opportunities to do something with this property. Medical offices, senior housing and retail are not going to work here. The shopping centers nearby are doing just enough business to stay afloat. Sears did light traffic on most days except for maybe the holidays. It’s time to cut his losses and negotiate a number to sell to the city. The fact he’s got dilapidated properties around the city is proof he’s not going to do anything with Heritage Park Mall. He’s waiting on a rainy day that will never come.

Midwest City taking next steps to acquire mall

https://www.centraloklahomaweeklies....-acquire-mall/

6. Default Re: Heritage Park Mall - The Saga May Be Nearing Its End

Quote Originally Posted by therhett17 View Post
    Midwest City taking next steps to acquire mall

https://www.centraloklahomaweeklies....-acquire-mall/
    I just hope the negotiation part doesn't drag on. Setting some sort of time limit on the city's side, would be good. Either you come up with agreement by X date, or will we pursue ED. I don't thin they would want to say that to the owner so it doesn't feel like a threat, but this guy is going to dispute things and want way more than its worth. I do not expect the two parties to come to an agreement on their own. If he was such an outstanding developer, he would have already done something to prevent things from getting where they are. I just don't want to be sitting here 5 year later, and we're still talking negotiations.

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    I just hope the negotiation part doesn't drag on. Setting some sort of time limit on the city's side, would be good. Either you come up with agreement by X date, or will we pursue ED. I don't thin they would want to say that to the owner so it doesn't feel like a threat, but this guy is going to dispute things and want way more than its worth. I do not expect the two parties to come to an agreement on their own. If he was such an outstanding developer, he would have already done something to prevent things from getting where they are. I just don't want to be sitting here 5 year later, and we're still talking negotiations.
    I'm pretty sure the owner has already been contacted by the urban renewal attorneys and understand that if he's unwilling to come to the table, eminent domain is inevitable.

Any new development with this?

Thread Information