Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: 2028 Olympics in OKC

Default Re: 2028 Olympics in OKC

From November 2022. How was this missed?

https://www.sportstravelmagazine.com...oklahoma-city/

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    If this comes to pass, here is a quick list of things that could get done by July 2028:

- Most of the OKANA project, including the aquarium and maybe east of Eastern
    - The massive Dream Hotel project
    - Kick-start the Producers Coop
    - Kick-start Strawberry Fields
    - Finish most of Oak and Convergence
    - Add more to Midtown
    - Expanded BRT and maybe even commuter rail
    - Serious development around the lower section of Scissortail Park
    - Maybe move forward with the grand plans for Wiley Post Park and both sides of the river
    - The Truck Yard will be open but maybe much more will get done along the canal
    - More development in Bricktown
    - Devon will finally fix its LED lights and the entire skyline could see more LED's

And that's just off the top of my head!
    Reading this list, these are things that should be done by 2028 regardless if we get host the Olympic events or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    From November 2022. How was this missed?

https://www.sportstravelmagazine.com...oklahoma-city/
    I didn't miss it... Been sitting on this for quite a while but was wanting to have an indication that this was more than just an idea.

I can tell you there has been a great deal of forward movement on this very recently, because LA28 has to make formal decisions on sports and venues by the end of 2023, and may make announcements in the next few months.

BTW, I did not tell ANYONE about this and it's been killing me!

The reason other local media didn't see and put this together is that they rely on press releases (or OKCTalk reporting) and there will only be a formal announcement when LA28 and IOC are ready to release complete information on all their plans.

I didn't miss it... Been sitting on this for quite a while but was wanting to have an indication that this was more than just an idea.

I can tell you there has been a great deal of forward movement on this very recently, because LA28 has to make formal decisions on sports and venues by the end of 2023, and may make announces in the next few months.

BTW, I did not tell ANYONE about this and it's been killing me!

The reason other local media didn't see and put this together is that they rely on press releases (or OKCTalk reporting) and there will only be a formal announcement when LA28 and IOC are ready to release complete information on all their plans.
    Did you recently get permission to "spill the beans" or just decide it was time to elaborate more on what you knew?

Quote Originally Posted by therhett17 View Post
    Did you recently get permission to "spill the beans" or just decide it was time to elaborate more on what you knew?
    I never ask for permission.

As I said, there has been considerable recent forward movement and I believe the whitewater events are now very likely.

I'm sure OKC is pitching hard for rowing as well but I don't have any firm information that indicates that is going to happen. However, sometimes you have to connect the dots, and there are a lot of them regarding a bunch of river projects that have suddenly become a priority.

And none of them have a stadium that holds more than 1,500.

Hall of Fame not only has a capacity of 13,000 but there are also multiple practice and warm-up fields that are necessary for a large multi-team competition. There is also an entire staff of people here that handles several big softball events a year and does it very well.

I realize the initial reaction for most is 'no way' when it comes to OKC -- it was my first thought as well -- but if we get the whitewater events (and I believe we will) then that opens the door for others to follow, as there will be economies of scale when it comes to organizing and expenses.

I am writing a follow-up article that will shed more light on this subject.
    Are there other types of events being considered for hosting outside of LA?

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    Are there other types of events being considered for hosting outside of LA?
    The only ones that seem likely to be elsewhere are the canoe slalom events.

But we'll only know for sure when they make their formal announcements sometime this year.

Reading this announcement literally brought tears to my eyes. I remember as a young man standing in front of the Murrah building in the days following the bombing and to see what OKC has done in the 3 decades since is unfathomable, to be frank. I can't wait to hear more of the details and I am pretty confident Mayor Holt and the Chamber are working in overdrive to not only drive this, but to sell OKC as a potential host for more events. What a huge, huge W for OKC. Thanks for your work on this Pete.

On Edit: And, once softball is officially added how is OKC NOT in a very serious conversation to host that as well? I mean C'mon.

Quote Originally Posted by OkieinGeorgia View Post
    Reading this announcement literally brought tears to my eyes. I remember as a young man standing in front of the Murrah building in the days following the bombing and to see what OKC has done in the 3 decades since is unfathomable, to be frank. I can't wait to hear more of the details and I am pretty confident Mayor Holt and the Chamber are working in overdrive to not only drive this, but to sell OKC as a potential host for more events. What a huge, huge W for OKC. Thanks for your work on this Pete.

On Edit: And, once softball is officially added how is OKC NOT in a very serious conversation to host that as well? I mean C'mon.
    Hopefully, since OKC is now likely to get the whitewater events, more may be on the table.

For those of us who can clearly remember the Dark Days of Oklahoma City, the fact this is a real possibility is hard to comprehend.

I started working downtown when I graduated OU in 1982. Things were okay then -- First National was still open and the arcade was relatively full -- but soon everything went over the cliff.

There is no way to describe the malaise of the mid-80s all through the 90s... Any attempt to do so will come across as exaggeration and hyperbole.

There was ONE hotel in all of downtown. There are now 22 with several more in the works.

Leadership Square opened in the mid-80s and my company was one of the very first to move in, but the main effect was sucking tenants out of existing buildings which were left to rot.

Almost all the OKC-based banks failed, including pillars like First National and Liberty.

Bricktown was just a few warehouses with mostly derelict buildings; Deep Deuce, Film Row, Midtown, Uptown, The Plaza... All were essentially abandoned.

The change has been so steady and prolonged that the totality doesn't often register.

That's why I decided to spend almost a full day downtown a couple of weeks before last Christmas. I parked by Lower Scissortail Park and walked through that entire park, past the convention center and Omni, past Paycom, and through the glorious Myriad Gardens. Took in the decorations at Devon and Colcord, then strolled past the huge nutcrackers on either side of the entrance to FNC, a scene straight out of Manhattan. Riding the escalator up to the Great Hall, I was awestruck by the decorations, the grandeur of the place and the big crowd. A string quartet was playing Christmas music.

From there I walked through the arcade -- once again nearly full -- and over to the Skirvin which is especially beautiful for the holidays. Past the completely redone BancFirst Tower and over to Bricktown which was filled with people milling around and in great spirits.

It was emotional... Like a victory lap for a die-hard fan that had loyally followed a beloved team that had repeatedly broken their heart for decades... And then finally rewarded their faith and instantly relieved half a lifetime of disappointment.

I've deeply loved Oklahoma City since I was a little kid when I would ride along with my dad as he took a trip to Citizens Bank or downtown. For a long time, I felt like I was the only one and that that sentiment was not justified.

If any aspect of the Olympics comes here in 2028, you can bet I will drink it in with every fiber of my being, pack my house full with as many out-of-state visitors as it will hold, and know that my life-long love affair is finally requited.

If this comes to pass, here is a quick list of things that could get done by July 2028:

- Most of the OKANA project, including the aquarium and maybe east of Eastern
    - The massive Dream Hotel project
    - Kick-start the Producers Coop
    - Kick-start Strawberry Fields
    - Finish most of Oak and Convergence
    - Add more to Midtown
    - Expanded BRT and maybe even commuter rail
    - Serious development around the lower section of Scissortail Park
    - Maybe move forward with the grand plans for Wiley Post Park and both sides of the river
    - The Truck Yard will be open but maybe much more will get done along the canal
    - More development in Bricktown
    - Devon will finally fix its LED lights and the entire skyline could see more LED's

And that's just off the top of my head!
    This list contains many projects that the city would LIKE to have done but my question is what projects will the city NEED to have done. There is a difference and I am sure Pete agrees. If OKC lands the rowing events, I believe the city/state will need to have the I-35 bridges over the river completed because I would assume the current bridge piers would interfere with the rowing course. The whole rebuild of the I-35/I-40/I-235 interchange does not need to be completed but the bridges do.

Quote Originally Posted by vaflyer View Post
    This list contains many projects that the city would LIKE to have done but my question is what projects will the city NEED to have done. There is a difference and I am sure Pete agrees. If OKC lands the rowing events, I believe the city/state will need to have the I-35 bridges over the river completed because I would assume the current bridge piers would interfere with the rowing course. The whole rebuild of the I-35/I-40/I-235 interchange does not need to be completed but the bridges do.
    Exactly right, but my point is that such a big event years out in the future with a hard deadline provides focus and motivation for much more than just the projects directly related to the events.

I don't believe there is any deal for the rowing events, but DO believe the City is pushing things forward like the I-35 bridges so they can make a legitimate pitch. They can say, "Plans are in place and funds are available to do everything that needs to be done".

This is why there are suddenly color renderings and bid packages for the I-35 bridges.

It's also why the Wheeler pedestrian bridge has been put on hold and the bridge near OKANA and the related 2,000M starting line will start construction in a few months. Wheeler had been the first priority and then suddenly there isn't even a firm schedule.

The rowing is a long-shot but feasible. And it's only feasible because priorities have already been shifted and specific plans have been put in motion.

Hopefully, since OKC is now likely to get the whitewater events, more may be on the table.

For those of us who can clearly remember the Dark Days of Oklahoma City, the fact this is a real possibility is hard to comprehend.

I started working downtown when I graduated OU in 1982. Things were okay then -- First National was still open and the arcade was relatively full -- but soon everything went over the cliff.

There is no way to describe the malaise of the mid-80s all through the 90s... Any attempt to do so will come across as exaggeration and hyperbole.

There was ONE hotel in all of downtown. There are now 22 with several more in the works.

Leadership Square opened in the mid-80s and my company was one of the very first to move in, but the main effect was sucking tenants out of existing buildings which were left to rot.

Almost all the OKC-based banks failed, including pillars like First National and Liberty.

Bricktown was just a few warehouses with mostly derelict buildings; Deep Deuce, Film Row, Midtown, Uptown, The Plaza... All were essentially abandoned.

The change has been so steady and prolonged that the totality doesn't often register.

That's why I decided to spend almost a full day downtown a couple of weeks before last Christmas. I parked by Lower Scissortail Park and walked through that entire park, past the convention center and Omni, past Paycom, and through the glorious Myriad Gardens. Took in the decorations at Devon and Colcord, then strolled past the huge nutcrackers on either side of the entrance to FNC. Riding the escalator up to the Great Hall, I was awestruck by the decorations, the grandeur of the place and the big crowd. A string quartet was playing Christmas music.

From there I walked through the arcade -- once again nearly full -- and over to the Skirvin which is especially beautiful for the holidays. Past the completely redone BancFirst Tower and over to Bricktown which was filled with people milling around and in great spirits.

It was emotional... Like a victory lap for a die-hard fan that had loyally followed a beloved team that had repeatedly broken their heart for decades... And then finally broke through and rewarded their faith and instantly relieved half a lifetime of disappointment.

I've deeply loved Oklahoma City since I was a little kid when I would ride along with my dad as he took a trip to Citizens Bank or downtown. For a long time, I felt like I was the only one and that that sentiment was not justified.

If any aspect of the Olympics comes here in 2028, you can bet I will drink it in with every fiber of my being, pack my house full with as many out-of-state visitors as it will hold, and know that my life-long love affair is finally requited.
    I agree on so many levels. I was a student at OU when the Murrah bombing happened and as I stood there staring at the tragic remains and heard all of the national doubters about how the Okies would be able to handle something like this devastation and to see the almost kicking us while we were down mentality. It was almost as if the people from bigger cities wanted to see us continue to crater. All OKC and the Okies did was show the world how to take care of each other and how to get up after getting knocked down. It was at that time that my love for OKC and Oklahoma was absolutely seared in my soul. And, like you said, the absolute meteoric, constant rise has been nothing short of amazing.

I had lived almost my entire life in OKC or within a couple of hours of it. Last November my wife and I moved to South Georgia and it was a definite eye opener for me. Although I had been in OKC witnessing the growth, it's kind of like watching your kids grow. When you see them everyday you don't notice it as much. But, to move away and realize what life is in another place and made even my wife, who never really liked living in OKC, realize how much we gave up when we moved. It's truly driven home to me how much the city has changed and grown.

We're in the middle of planning on a build or purchase of a home here in Georgia, but after that is done we are going to be investing in a property back in OKC that we can use but also Airbnb to offset the cost. And, that was my wife's idea. lol. So, it tells me how far OKC has come when even she is missing what we enjoyed there the last few years.

Very exciting news if this pans out, looking forward to hearing more

I never ask for permission.

As I said, there has been considerable recent forward movement and I believe the whitewater events are now very likely.

I'm sure OKC is pitching hard for rowing as well but I don't have any firm information that indicates that is going to happen. However, sometimes you have to connect the dots, and there are a lot of them regarding a bunch of river projects that have suddenly become a priority.
    If the city is pitching hard for rowing isn't this basically saying they're 100% sure that the proposed bridges across the river will be finished?

Quote Originally Posted by kevin lee View Post
    If the city is pitching hard for rowing isn't this basically saying they're 100% sure that the proposed bridges across the river will be finished?
    It says they are sure they *would* be finished if we got rowing.

BTW, rowing is a huge, huge deal. One of the longest-standing of all Olympic sports and the length of the course allows for a ton of stands.

As things now stand, OKC is not a serious contender for the biggest national and international events because we don't have a long enough clear-span. That is going to change and soon, whether Olympic rowing comes in 2028 or not.

I don't have any inside information about this but I would think that if we did get any Olympic events it might spur the development of a hotel and/or housing in the area north of Bar K and the bike track. After the Games, it could be used to house U.S. athletes training at the official US Olympic High Performance Center which is already in operation. And of course, it would house those coming for future events.

Could finally realize this conceptual plan from a few years ago (note the clear-span pedestrian bridge just east of the whitewater facility):

Good thing we have people holding prime land due to lack of demand for years as parking lots. Hopefully this spurs some new projects. Hotels, apartments, retail, all near the riverfront, are going to be needed. Gonna take some imagination and follow through, both of which are hard for OKC developers and land owners for some reason. I hope there have been immense talks behind the scenes.

This could be amazing for the city, or something that sets us back 20 years, if we aren't ready. The negative perception would be brutal.

Landing this would be absolutely insane. Imagine summer 2028, the OKC Thunder have just won their 2nd championship in June, and now the Olympics are about to begin... in Oklahoma City.

Quote Originally Posted by chssooner View Post
    This could be amazing for the city, or something that sets us back 20 years, if we aren't ready. The negative perception would be brutal.
    Fair point. And even more in the short term, this seems to have people really excited—if it somehow falls through, the naysaying and negativity ("Of course we never stood a chance for something cool like this", etc) will be widespread. And annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by LocoAko View Post
    Fair point. And even more in the short term, this seems to have people really excited—if it somehow falls through, the naysaying and negativity ("Of course we never stood a chance for something cool like this", etc) will be widespread. And annoying.
    I remember when Devon Tower was announced there were a ton of people saying, "Yeah, right. Never gonna happen".

Haters are going to hate and there are far too many small-minded people in Oklahoma.

I have zero worries that OKC won't step up. In my experience, the opposite has always been true: we support the hell out of anything remotely good that comes to town. There would be an avalanche of support and volunteers once this is made official. If anything, we'll probably go overboard.

I remember when Devon Tower was announced there were a ton of people saying, "Yeah, right. Never gonna happen".

Haters are going to hate and there are far too many small-minded people in Oklahoma.
    It's just that, aside from Mayor Holt, the people in power for a decision like this, and most developers in OKC, are small-minded. That's what leads my negativity about this. I don't have faith that those in power or positions to help this be a success. I hope I'm proven wrong, and will eat crow if I am.

It's just that, aside from Mayor Holt, the people in power for a decision like this, and most developers in OKC, are small-minded. That's what leads my negativity about this. I don't have faith that those in power or positions to help this be a success. I hope I'm proven wrong, and will eat crow if I am.
    I strongly disagree.

We have some really sharp and motivated leaders in the City departments and in private development.

The mere fact this is a real possibility and that the entirety of the Riversport complex already exists speaks volumes, as does everything else nearby that has been recently completed or commenced.

It's fine and necessary to be constructively critical and even skeptical, especially when public money is involved.

However, it's time to think and dream big instead of being held back by an old mindset.

This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity and we need to take full advantage.

I choose to think in these terms: starting with the first MAPS way back in the 90s, the thousands of steps forward we have taken as a community have led us to this place. Now, let's kick some ass.

Good thing we have people holding prime land due to lack of demand for years as parking lots. Hopefully this spurs some new projects. Hotels, apartments, retail, all near the riverfront, are going to be needed. Gonna take some imagination and follow through, both of which are hard for OKC developers and land owners for some reason. I hope there have been immense talks behind the scenes.

I am not sure if you are talking about the Boathouse District specifically, but if you are I am pretty sure the city bought all the land in that district around the time they shifted from having just the Chesapeake Boathouse, to starting the Boathouse Row concept.

23. Default Re: 2028 Olympics in OKC

also folks,. dont forget the Olympics includes the Para Olympics. This is a HUGE deal, and as Pete indicates, even if we JUST get the canoe slolum that will be a huge W for the city, let alone if we can get Rowing and few other water sports that make sense given OKC's economy of scale, and possibly also Softball in the largest dedicated stadium?

Any of that is incredible but dreaming big, if OKC could be a true co-host having multiple water sports and softball. OMG. ... There would not only be the rush to complete for the next 4 years but also (as Pete also alludes) big time continuity past the games and the likelyhood of OKC being a permanent co-host for future US Olympic hosts (making more US cities feasible).
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Between the facilities already built along the river, what could be added in the very near future, and the amazing FAM and OKANA project, OKC would finally have something to make us truly unique that would draw people from around the world long after 2028.

That's a pretty big deal, Olympics or not.

Thread Information