Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 13 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: June 2023 - General Weather Discussion

Weather June 2023 - General Weather Discussion

Not many complaints as we get ready to roll into June...

Default Re: June 2023 - General Weather Discussion

https://www.tornadotitans.com/lets-t...ILTDjbQUSB5Kig June might be a very active month. Many chasers as gearing up for big chase days in June if the pattern verifies.

This has been some of the nicest spring weather in Oklahoma City in years. Thinking back, I can't even remember the last spring that was this nice for such a sustained period of time.

Still haven't officially hit 90 degrees. Doesn't look like we will for at least the next 10 days either. Lows in the 60s. Saturday forecast high is 75. My tomato plants are loving this weather for a change. Last years hot and dry temps was killer on them.

Storm complexes will continue to flare up across NM/TX and push east for the next few days. Most storms should die out around the TX/OK border. The best shot for storms making it to OKC looks like late Friday night. Could still be some random daytime storms bubbling up, like we saw today.

Meanwhile, keep enjoying this amazing Spring!

It's funny people think it is so mild but we are actually above normal temps and it's been very humid.

It seems we all lost perspective due to last year's scorcher.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    It's funny people think it is so mild but we are actually above normal temps and it's been very humid.

It seems we all lost perspective due to last year's scorcher.
    true but on average OKC hits 90 degrees in the first week of may so that has been a nice change ..

The official 1991-2020 OKC normals are also about a degree cooler than what was actually recorded during that timeframe. I will never understand the reasoning behind that and it's going to annoy me for the next 7 years until the 2001-2030 normals are released lol.

Anyways, it looks like we could make it until the middle third of June before hitting 90 degrees, which I'll take anytime. We usually average about three 90 degree days in May but we didn't get any this year. We usually average about 14 in June and it will take consistent heat in the latter half of the month to get there this year (always possible given that this is OKC, but it would represent a major pattern change from what we've been seeing over the last few weeks).

I always say just get me to August... Football practice starts as does NFL pre-season, English soccer starts up again, and the fall is in sight.

I absolutely detest July.

I always say just get me to August... Football practice starts as does NFL pre-season, English soccer starts up again, and the fall is in sight.

I absolutely detest July.
    Another nice thing about August is that the days start to get noticeably shorter. I've lived here long enough now that I can deal with the summer heat at night. But doing anything outside when it's 95-100 degrees out with the sun beating down still tends to be a no-go for me.

Decently strong storm coming up S of the OKC metro right now. ~5:00pm. Not severe at this time.

EDIT: Severe Warning is out just after posting. Strong gusty winds and flash flooding is primary threat.

Holy cow!

Really strong downpour at my house out of nowhere.

Raining and blowing pretty hard here in central OKC.

Holy cow!

Really strong downpour at my house out of nowhere.
    Same here, I was mowing the front yard when the first raindrops started coming down. Quickly became a deluge. The peak rainfall rate reached over 2" per hour here - picked up just under 1/2" in 15 minutes - with winds gusting up to 25mph. That was intense!

1 1/2 inch in my rain gauge in about 15-20 minutes. Even had some pea/dime size hail. 1/4 mile west of 39th and Meridian

Same here, we needed that since it hasnt rained much here for the last couple of weeks

Those of us here at the WCWS would sure like the storm to move away so we could get one more game in. They've evacuated twice for what amounted to two lightning bolts.

Storm chances on and off all weekend. Still looks like an uptick in severe weather still possible 2nd or 3rd week of June. Just depends on where High and Low pressure fall. Could be just won't know until day of type thing like today.

Quote Originally Posted by stratosphere View Post
    Same here, we needed that since it hasnt rained much here for the last couple of weeks
    Definitely getting dry in eastern OK. Meanwhile Western OK and the Panhandle had gone years without seeing this type of moisture and previously dry rivers are now overflowing. Widespread storms and heavy rainfall expected across the state on Saturday then back to isolated storms next week followed by potentially better rainfall chances next week.

Next two weeks GFS rainfall forecast

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    Definitely getting dry in eastern OK.
    as of this week 0% of eastern ok is in drought ..

Projected rainfall through tomorrow. Models seem to want to kill off the storms as they get closer to C OK early Saturday AM. The last month has been nothing short of a miracle for W OK and into the TX Panhandle.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    Projected rainfall through tomorrow. Models seem to want to kill off the storms as they get closer to C OK early Saturday AM. The last month has been nothing short of a miracle for W OK and into the TX Panhandle.

Hence us still being in a near-drought. Been that way for almost a year.

23. Default Re: June 2023 - General Weather Discussion

Reading June outlooks on NWS are below average temps in June and well as above average chance of rain?

I like El Nino

It feels really stormy out there right now.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    as of this week 0% of eastern ok is in drought ..
    Not yet but a flash drought is quickly developing unless this system brings widespread decent rainfall

Thread Information