Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: June 2023 - General Weather Discussion

Default Re: June 2023 - General Weather Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    Not yet but a flash drought is quickly developing unless this system brings widespread decent rainfall
    Isn't this an ironic change from normal with the western part of the state getting soaked and the east getting dry!

I know Mesonet is official, but here at my house in Logan County I've picked up 1.11" this week. These have also been pop-up thunderstorms where they go up and then die off, of course with the exception of the big MCS that came through last night. But even that garnered me 0.43" overnight.

Mesonet seems to only have two rain stations in Oklahoma County (and two in Logan County), which does not begin to allow for the big variations in rainfall across OK County's 718 square miles or Logan's 749.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Mesonet seems to only have two rain stations in Oklahoma County (and two in Logan County), which does not begin to allow for the big variations in rainfall across OK County's 718 square miles or Logan's 749.
    I've noticed this... of all the places they need an extra station or two, OKC would be ideal. I live near south side of Lake Hefner and I always choose Yukon or OKC East, but they are both ~10 miles from where I live.

Nevertheless, Mesonet remains my primary source for weather info & historical data. Love it!

IIRC... didn't they use to have a North OKC Station that was removed when the Chicken N' Pickle area construction boom started?

There used to be a third meson station in Oklahoma County.

Quote Originally Posted by MagzOK View Post
    There used to be a third meson station in Oklahoma County.
    The third OK county station was at the Fairgrounds, IIRC. They put up the Yukon site after decommissioning the one at the Fairgrounds.

Quote Originally Posted by BB37 View Post
    The third OK county station was at the Fairgrounds, IIRC. They put up the Yukon site after decommissioning the one at the Fairgrounds.
    Yes. I thought it was a different location but couldn't remember the details. Thank you.

There was a Mesonet station in north Oklahoma City near Broadway Extension and Wilshire. It was decommissioned in 2018.
    https://www.mesonet.org/about/mesone...data?stid=okcn

I have two rain gauge tubes. One in the front yard and one in the back yard by my garden Both are far enough away from the house that they wont get any water splashed off the roof. Just last nights storm the front had 1 1/4 inch and the one in the back had 1 1/2 inch. The one in the back yard id a slightly bigger diameter tube.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Not sure why they got rid of the one in West OKC -- or really why they do a lot of things they do.

For some reason, I've noticed major variance between Mesonet totals and summaries from the National Weather Service. There have been instances in the last couple of weeks in which flood warnings or advisories were issued by NWS that would state in the summary things like, "Two to three inches of rain have fallen and another one inch is expected" in a given area. Then, when I look at rainfall totals on Mesonet the next day for the area in question it only shows like .66 of rain. It's really bizarre.

As you note, it's hard to nail OKC totals because of the odd locations of their stations. Our rain gauge got broken but the Mesonet totals always seem miserly for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountaingoat View Post
    Isn't this an ironic change from normal with the western part of the state getting soaked and the east getting dry!
    20 days without at least 0.25” in SE OK in late May/early June is very unusual. The pattern appears to be shifting though and eastern OK should pick up additional rainfall toward the middle of June.

Severe weather season coming back? https://twitter.com/ConvChronicles/s...205295105?s=20 SPC hinting at this weekend storm chaser going crash for early next week. Still way too soon but has there been big severe weather outbreaks mid June in Oklahoma before? I know they consider around June 15th the end of tornado season.

Still no 90 degree days on the long range forecast either. A welcome break from last year's scorcher.

As of today KFOR forecasting 90 for 6/13, 6/14.

Its so odd to see rain showers coming at us from SE to NW. The light showers coming into OKC now, if they make it, are almost due east to west.

https://www.tornadotitans.com/quiete...Fo-Vt_pXEMyhPw Biggest severe weather events in June in Oklahoma I have lived here since 2012 and honestly I can't remember much happening in June. Maybe first part of the month?

While it worth noting, I think it’s incredibly shortsighted to put all your eggs in the GFS basket. And also to start forecasting “significant” and “critical” tornado risks this far out. This pattern change/energy isn’t even off the coast yet. Make note yes, but start declaring that this rivals other past sever weather events is dumb. Imo

Quote Originally Posted by Ohwiseone View Post
    While it worth noting, I think it’s incredibly shortsighted to put all your eggs in the GFS basket. And also to start forecasting “significant” and “critical” tornado risks this far out. This pattern change/energy isn’t even off the coast yet. Make note yes, but start declaring that this rivals other past sever weather events is dumb. Imo
    I agree but what I'm wanting to know is has there every been big severe weather events in June in Oklahoma. I don't think there has been one since I have lived here since 2012. Does anyone that has lived here a while remember a June date that was a big day. Like even not living here I know about May 3 1999, May 20 2013 May 31 2013 Woodward April 2013 I think there was a big day back in 2011.

Oh and edit to say the Euro is on board too with the pattern change.

OK found it https://www.weather.gov/oun/tornadod...-junetornadoes Look like 2019 had a few active days. Only 2 EF2 tornadoes in June since 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by kukblue1 View Post
    OK found it https://www.weather.gov/oun/tornadod...-junetornadoes Look like 2019 had a few active days. Only 2 EF2 tornadoes in June since 1999.
    June 1998 was pretty active, most notably June 13th when the northside of OKC was hit.

On June 15, 1990, Stillwater had a F3 tornado. There was one death. Don't think it was associated with a big outbreak.

The story here: https://stillwaterweather.com/1990tornado

On June 8, 1974, Drumright had a much worse tornado, F4, with 12 deaths. It was part of a large outbreak.

Bad June tornadoes are fairly rare, but not so rare that you can take your guard down.

June is typically known for MCS type storms that move through Oklahoma from the northwest. Usually in the late/overnight hours. These can be severe with high winds the biggest threat. Models are hinting at seeing some of that next week as high pressure slides to the east which would be great to see since many areas missed out on rain over the weekend.

In a typical year the end of June then shifts toward a summer-like pattern of pop up storms depending on where high pressure sets up and/or any tropical influence from the Gulf. Any tornadoes that form in June are usually imbedded in a line of storms and on the weak end but like Bunty mentioned there are a few exceptions.

23. Default Re: June 2023 - General Weather Discussion

For those comments upthread about the lack of Mesonet coverage for rainfall totals. You might consider checking in to this.

https://www.cocorahs.org/

Quote Originally Posted by OKrunner405 View Post
    June 1998 was pretty active, most notably June 13th when the northside of OKC was hit.
    Yeah and 1999 looked active too. Looking at that chart 1998 was the last time Oklahoma county had a June tornado that was 25 years ago and NO I'M NOT SAYING OKLHAOMA COUNTY IS GOING TO GET A TORNADO. Just pointing out it's been a while and next week looks very active somewhere in the southern plains which is a big area. NOT SAYING OKLAHOMA IS GOING TO GET A TORNADO.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    For those comments upthread about the lack of Mesonet coverage for rainfall totals. You might consider checking in to this.

https://www.cocorahs.org/
    However, the interactive wunderground map does most everything bigger and better.

https://www.wunderground.com/wunderm...0&cams=0&pix=0

Thread Information