Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Killers of the Flower Moon

Default Re: Killers of the Flower Moon

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    Might be on Paramount+ since it is also from their studio. Kind of a joint venture.
    Paramount was only the partner for the theater release ..

this will only be on Apple TV
    https://www.nytimes.com/2023/10/20/b...st%2045%20days.

I just rewatched the 18 minute segment of the 1959 Jimmy Stewart movie The FBI Story that was a condensed version. Kinda like Dragnet..."The story you are about to see is true. The names were changed to protect the innocent".

Watched yesterday- was fantastic in my opinion. I loved the slow pacing and would have sat through 5 hours had it been that long.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shortsyeararound View Post
    Watched yesterday- was fantastic in my opinion. I loved the slow pacing and would have sat through 5 hours had it been that long.
    Long, grim, sobering look at a segment of our history with First Americans, but a riveting must view. Like you, I would have sat through however long it took to expose that story.

It would be cathartic for more of these history revealing epics to be made to tell more of the stories in the raw, real way they happened and not the whitewashed narratives spoon fed to our citizens.

I read that Scorsese met with the ex-head of the Osage Nation to get the portrayal right on the correct narrative.
    It was something to see that tragedy along with the other that occurred in the 20’s being shown at the beginning of the movie. Bad times in Oklahoma back then for sure, add in the Murrah building and the countless tornados, Oklahomans have faced a ton of adversity.

Scorsese spent a lot of time and effort to understand the Osage. It seems to have affected him tremendously. His emotional reading of Mollie's obituary seems like a statement that it as a very personal and emotional movie for him. His introduction is another example.

I'm going to see it again, but I can't quite understand his intent behind that introduction. He doesn't really say much. It seems like was saying, "this is a different sort of movie from what I've made in the past."

He used Charles Red Corn's "A Pipe for February" for background and his son, Yancy, played one of the two chiefs. I know Yancy and according to him, the Osage are proud Scorsese took the efforts to represent the story from their perspective. Originally, the script was centered on the FBI.

Epics like this aren't made often. There's very little CGI and it's not only period accurate, it used many of the actual places. I've been to Fairfax recently. I noticed interior and exterior shots that use the bank building the production did extensive restoration work on it. The second floor windows and a few other buildings still have the production signs and painted windows. It's cool.

We are going next week. If I have to go to the WC midway, I'll just go. We want to see it on a big screen, but I'm sure it will be available on multiple formats soon enough if I have to miss two or three minutes out of three and a half hours.

The length of it is showing up in a lot of national reviews to the extent that people are suggesting an intermission. We are going to see The Eras tour movie this week and it's a little under three hours.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shortsyeararound View Post
    I read that Scorsese met with the ex-head of the Osage Nation to get the portrayal right on the correct narrative.
    It was something to see that tragedy along with the other that occurred in the 20’s being shown at the beginning of the movie. Bad times in Oklahoma back then for sure, add in the Murrah building and the countless tornados, Oklahomans have faced a ton of adversity.
    I agree, but would use the term atrocities instead of adversities. All these were man made.

Didn’t the trail of tears come through here too? Not to mention the lane run. Oklahoma has some very interesting history. I have a relative who works as a teacher. You can’t even talk about homosexuality or the Tulsa race massacre in classrooms anymore. It’s very weird.

Blog Entries

^The Trail of Tears was from various other states and ended in Oklahoma.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by okatty View Post
    ^The Trail of Tears was from various other states and ended in Oklahoma.
    Tulsa was founded at the end of the Trail of Tears. The Lvchapoka band of Muscogee stopped their deadly trek under a large oak tree on a hill overlooking the Arkansas River in 1836. They named the site Talasi after their tribal town in Georgia, eventually become "Tulsa". The site is at 17th and Cheyenne Ave and today is Council Oak Park. The tree still stands and the Muscogee Nation has an annual event there celebrating the end of the Trail of Tears. It's a very pretty and somber place. A little strange too with this old tree under which the Muscogee restarted their council fires that today is surrounded by condos, oil mansions and skyscrapers just south of downtown.

https://www.muscogeenation.com/2018/...ncil-oak-tree/
    https://www.travelok.com/listings/view.profile/id.1876
    https://www.visittulsa.com/listing/c...oak-park/1558/

Blog Entries

I was thinking Tahlequah was a key ending spot as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I agree, but would use the term atrocities instead of adversities. All these were man made.
    I was meaning "adversity" in dealing after the fact or in the Osage case (during/after). The tornados, to my knowledge, are made by mother nature, but I could be wrong.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by okatty View Post
    I was thinking Tahlequah was a key ending spot as well.
    For the Cherokee. Not Muscogee.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Didn’t the trail of tears come through here too? Not to mention the lane run. Oklahoma has some very interesting history. I have a relative who works as a teacher. You can’t even talk about homosexuality or the Tulsa race massacre in classrooms anymore. It’s very weird.
    Right, because if you prohibit talking about it, it didn’t happen and doesn’t exist. It wipes out all the bad things certain people did and do if you just ignore it. That’s what God does,,,,forgives sinners if others deny the sin.

I don't think this is an accurate statement for all grades. It may be for K - 5.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Right, because if you prohibit talking about it, it didn’t happen and doesn’t exist. It wipes out all the bad things certain people did and do if you just ignore it. That’s what God does,,,,forgives sinners if others deny the sin.
    What’s weird is that both of those topics are in the curriculum. And there are literature books that cover aspects of the Tulsa race massacre, homosexuality,the trail of tears and multiple other subjects. It’s almost like we have leadership that either doesn’t read the curriculum. Or they are campaigning when they spout out right wing talking points. It’s not about governing it’s about them preparing for their next position in government

Quote Originally Posted by Mountaingoat View Post
    I don't think this is an accurate statement for all grades. It may be for K - 5.
    That is the grade my relative teaches in, but I’ve heard it does expand across the entire public education network.

There is most definitely a movement among a substantial percentage of Oklahoma's elected officials to limit any classroom references to topics that make those adults uncomfortable acknowledging. HB 1775 made coddling their feelings law.

This film highlights an era that should be taught in greater detail but likely will not until this law is changed. There is a reason the Tulsa Massacre was referred to as a "race riot" for decades if it was mentioned at all.

Educators are most certainly concerned with the impact on their careers if they have the gall to teach accurate history that makes those same political leaders (and those that elected them) uncomfortable.

https://ncnewsline.com/2023/10/23/ok...75%20complaint.

It's good to hear the Lt Gov saying the law needs to be clarified to facilitate teaching these events.

Evidently even math makes some of them squirm.....maybe the Pythagorean Theorem is considered "woke" now??

https://www.normantranscript.com/new...474c45fc3.html

Hopefully HB 1775 will be overturned and any doubt or concern about teaching this history will be eliminated.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    That is the grade my relative teaches in, but I’ve heard it does expand across the entire public education network.
    This is off-topic so l'll simply say l believe your relative is either mistaken, being misguided by his/her school administration (which is very possible) or bending the literal wording of the state law passed in 2021 covering these subjects for grades 6 and up - which is already being done by some in this thread. The law is pretty easy to read, but like most everything, is subject to interpretation, both reasonable and ridiculously exaggerated. I'll bow out here to get back to the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountaingoat View Post
    This is off-topic so l'll simply say l believe your relative is either mistaken, being misguided by his/her school administration (which is very possible) or bending the literal wording of the state law passed in 2021 covering these subjects for grades 6 and up - which is already being done by some in this thread. The law is pretty easy to read, but like most everything, is subject to interpretation, both reasonable and ridiculously exaggerated. I'll bow out here to get back to the movie.
    I'm sure there are a lot of high school students this week who are having to write a 3 to 4 page research paper on the topic this week.

Do educators spend every minute talking about every horrible thing that has happen in history? Probably not, there are only so many hours in the day. That could be several college semesters.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    I'm sure there are a lot of high school students this week who are having to write a 3 to 4 page research paper on the topic this week.

Do educators spend every minute talking about every horrible thing that has happen in history? Probably not, there are only so many hours in the day. That could be several college semesters.
    I mean yea that's pretty much how history has always been taught. The vast majority of school history is just learning about the various wars, famines, plagues, terrorist's attack's, massacres, oppression, assassinations, major accidents, natural disasters, scandals, depressions, etc. of the past. It does seem strange to single out a select few of these instances to ban discussing. I cant imagine what it would be like to have all aspects of the revolutionary war or the great depression being banned from discussion until the 6th grade.

I read today that props from the movie are being sold at "Dead Peoples Stuff"

A shame that this movie didn't win any Oscars.

It was a pretty stacked year, IMO. Wish there was some more variety in the winners, as I think several deserved recognition, but I can't say any of the winners didn't deserve it (at least feature length; not familiar with shorts).

Thread Information