Widgets Magazine

Thread: ATT Fiber

1. Default ATT Fiber

Our addition, which is the half a square mile from Rockwell to Council and about halfway between Britton and Hefner to Hefner has ATT conduit and fiber pulled. So they must be pretty close to having it on. They installed junction boxes in every other yard. There is a junction box in the NE corner of our yard. But the house is built such that there is no attic access on the east side of our house. The closest junction box to the west is on the other side of the neighbors driveway. I'm going to be very interested in how they plan to get us connected.

Default Re: ATT Fiber

We now have the fiber in our neighborhood. I've had cox gigablast for quite some time. Has anyone used both Cox and ATT Fiber to be able to give a comparison of which you like(d) better?

I currently have ATT Fiber that I purchased through Costco for a discounted rate (I pay about $80 with no limits on data). I had Cox Gigablast prior and was averaging about $280 a month because of data caps, they would also regularly throttle my connection to speeds so I couldn't stream (I did not have cable through Cox). After moving a year ago to ATT Fiber, I haven't had a single outage of the internet connection unless our neighborhood had no power - I feel like I would drop connection with Cox at least twice a month requiring modem resets. Speed with ATT Fiber is great, even when testing during high use times in the evenings, I'm getting 800 down/up.

4. Default Re: ATT Fiber

We have had Gigablast for awhile. With the highest rated modem that COX recommends. When I run speed tests they aren't anywhere near what the advertised speed is. I'm hoping ATT is better. I'd like to use my Ring doorbell and cameras in real time and not seconds to minimize after the fact.

We had COX internet for 10 years, and this was in new construction with the green COX junction box located in our backyard, we had the 300 mb package at the time and had occasional drop outs and speed issues. ATT Fiber was always an option, but never really looked into it until rates went up with COX. We switched to ATT Fiber 3 or so years ago and have been very satisfied with the reliability and the speed. The monthly rate for the past three years for gigabit down and up has been between $35 on Promo to $65 normal. With ATT we consistently get between 700mb to 900mb. We may have only had a handful of outages, and they are usually caused by a construction company cutting the fiber line. ATT has always been quick to repair.

During COVID, ATT was great in providing both Upload and Download speeds. Our experience with COX was decent download speeds, but the upload speeds were very limited for us, I do not know if this has improved as COX has upgraded their networks. COX definitely has more availability due to being established in OKC Metro, but I think if you can lock in a great rate with ATT FIber, I would choose them.

Cox is supposedlt getting close to reallocating their TV bandwidth to allow both; multi-gigabit speeds and higher upload, possibly even symmetric. Does anyone have any info on ATT Fiber's OKC build out plan? I understand they plan to cover the entire city eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by scottk View Post
    We had COX internet for 10 years, and this was in new construction with the green COX junction box located in our backyard, we had the 300 mb package at the time and had occasional drop outs and speed issues. ATT Fiber was always an option, but never really looked into it until rates went up with COX. We switched to ATT Fiber 3 or so years ago and have been very satisfied with the reliability and the speed. The monthly rate for the past three years for gigabit down and up has been between $35 on Promo to $65 normal. With ATT we consistently get between 700mb to 900mb. We may have only had a handful of outages, and they are usually caused by a construction company cutting the fiber line. ATT has always been quick to repair.

During COVID, ATT was great in providing both Upload and Download speeds. Our experience with COX was decent download speeds, but the upload speeds were very limited for us, I do not know if this has improved as COX has upgraded their networks. COX definitely has more availability due to being established in OKC Metro, but I think if you can lock in a great rate with ATT FIber, I would choose them.
    I/we had Cox for 20+ years. The final straw for me was download speeds less than half what I was paying for and upload speeds of .36 most of the day. I pay $40 less for ATT and based on the speedtest I just performed at 7:00 pm, I have 614 down/614 up.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    Cox is supposedlt getting close to reallocating their TV bandwidth to allow both; multi-gigabit speeds and higher upload, possibly even symmetric. Does anyone have any info on ATT Fiber's OKC build out plan? I understand they plan to cover the entire city eventually.
    I don't know too much about it but the tech that installed my Fiber a few weeks ago pulled out his phone and was showing me the hubs and amount of the city each hub is currently covering. It looked like they were rolling it out in new areas pretty quickly.

I dont think cable modems are really compatible with symmetric speeds. Like DOCSIS 3.1 modems are 32x8 channels [32 download channels and 8 upload channels], so the physical transceiver isn't designed to provide symmetric speeds. They would have to mode to DOCSIS 4.0 to get into symmetric fiber speeds.

Quote Originally Posted by MagzOK View Post
    We now have the fiber in our neighborhood. I've had cox gigablast for quite some time. Has anyone used both Cox and ATT Fiber to be able to give a comparison of which you like(d) better?
    I had COX and now have ATT. I scheduled install maybe 2hrs after they opened my area to service. Ive had ATT for a couple months now.

What I like about ATT so far:
    - Faster
    - Cheaper (Same price as COX, but 4x faster downloads and 100x faster uploads)
    - Knowledgeable technicians
    - Easy, on-time installation
    - Fiber to the Modem

What I liked about COX:
    - I would read more since the internet was out more often / too slow to stream

10. Default Re: ATT Fiber

I prefer ATT fiber hands down. I was the first on my street to get it 4 years ago. I pay 65.00 a month for Gigabite and have never had any issues. Also, they don't force you to have their other products. My cable is dish network and landline is Wal-Mart Basic talk. The price has remained the same as well.

Its really hard to beat the speed and reliability of fiber even with Cox freeing up bandwidth on the copper lines. Plus, their techs have to worry about signal interference on the copper lines going throughout your house and neighborhood.

12. Default Re: ATT Fiber

Cox will have to adapt soon. Rumor is ESPN is going to a standalone online ESPN live bundle. That would be one of the final nails in cable's dominance.

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    Cox will have to adapt soon. Rumor is ESPN is going to a standalone online ESPN live bundle. That would be one of the final nails in cable's dominance.
    WOW that would be huge, I know so many sports fans that keep their cable/dish packages around just for live sports. IF ESPN moves in this direction they will need to have great infrastructure for the demand that will occur on big games.

they are not making this change "soon" but they are putting the ability to do so in all new and future carriage contracts and starting to make sure it is allowed in the media deals they sign ..

and when it happens it will be pretty expensive .. (my guess is 20+ bucks a month)

15. Default Re: ATT Fiber

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    they are not making this change "soon" but they are putting the ability to do so in all new and future carriage contracts and starting to make sure it is allowed in the media deals they sign ..

and when it happens it will be pretty expensive .. (my guess is 20+ bucks a month)
    It could be 30 a month and still a good deal. Use it for College football season then unsubscribe. Harder to do than cable that locks you in for a year or two.

Soon is relative as well. They have the internal team working on it so it is ready to launch when they decide to turn it on. I am guessing that have some number in hand where cable reaches a low point and they turn on the streaming.

If you use AT&T Fiber for TV service can you watch TV while away from home on other devices like a laptop or phone like you can with Cox Contour App?

Quote Originally Posted by gjl View Post
    If you use AT&T Fiber for TV service can you watch TV while away from home on other devices like a laptop or phone like you can with Cox Contour App?
    Yes. Limited to 3 concurrent streams.

https://streamtv.directv.com/

I love their internet service, but I have issues with the TV service sometimes. The audio and video get out of synch. I even tried one of their proprietary streaming boxes and it still does it. There are posts on the internet going back years about this, but I have never seen a definitive fix, other than "change channel" or "reboot when this happens". It's very bizarre, but I mostly use it for sports, during which you don't notice until they cut to commentators, or on demand access, which doesn't have the same problem, even when using the same hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by BDP View Post
    Yes. Limited to 3 concurrent streams.

https://streamtv.directv.com/

I love their internet service, but I have issues with the TV service sometimes. The audio and video get out of synch. I even tried one of their proprietary streaming boxes and it still does it. There are posts on the internet going back years about this, but I have never seen a definitive fix, other than "change channel" or "reboot when this happens". It's very bizarre, but I mostly use it for sports, during which you don't notice until they cut to commentators, or on demand access, which doesn't have the same problem, even when using the same hardware.
    My Inlaws have Direct TV through AT&T but with a dish, not fiber to the house and they have that occasional audio/video sync problem.

19. Default Re: ATT Fiber

Quote Originally Posted by eeyore View Post
    I currently have ATT Fiber that I purchased through Costco for a discounted rate (I pay about $80 with no limits on data). I had Cox Gigablast prior and was averaging about $280 a month because of data caps, they would also regularly throttle my connection to speeds so I couldn't stream (I did not have cable through Cox). After moving a year ago to ATT Fiber, I haven't had a single outage of the internet connection unless our neighborhood had no power - I feel like I would drop connection with Cox at least twice a month requiring modem resets. Speed with ATT Fiber is great, even when testing during high use times in the evenings, I'm getting 800 down/up.
    Quote Originally Posted by corwin1968 View Post
    I/we had Cox for 20+ years. The final straw for me was download speeds less than half what I was paying for and upload speeds of .36 most of the day. I pay $40 less for ATT and based on the speedtest I just performed at 7:00 pm, I have 614 down/614 up.
    Our COX has been averaging around 27 download and 15 upload lately.

I'm on Cox 500 MB plan and I get consistent 550 mb down on the desktop that is plugged in directly to the modem. Up is always only between 10 and 11. I don't have the latest and greatest router/wifi so my laptops on wifi only get around 175 down and 10 up. Streaming to the TV is fine and I don't do any type of gaming ever so my Cox internet is more than adequate. Right now I pay Cox $237/mo for TV with 2 contour boxes (every channel they offer except latino), internet 500 mb, and landline telephone. I would drop the landline but it would only save me $10/mo according to cox with the bundle I have. The only streaming service I pay for is Peacock. I get Amazon TV because I have AZ Prime.

Does anyone have any recommendations for extending WiFi range? I currently have Cox and the Verizon home internet in my garage (for my office). Verizon's service is spotty and nothing special. I'd rather just have one network that extends from my home to the garage. I've read good things about the Orbi router, but they're very expensive. Curious if anyone here has any thoughts?

22. Default Re: ATT Fiber

Quote Originally Posted by jackirons View Post
    Does anyone have any recommendations for extending WiFi range? I currently have Cox and the Verizon home internet in my garage (for my office). Verizon's service is spotty and nothing special. I'd rather just have one network that extends from my home to the garage. I've read good things about the Orbi router, but they're very expensive. Curious if anyone here has any thoughts?
    I got these on sale for $100 and they are rock solid. I get great reception everywhere and fast speeds. Limited-time deal: TP-Link Deco AX3000 WiFi 6 Mesh system https://a.co/d/bf27Rct

I got these on sale for $100 and they are rock solid. I get great reception everywhere and fast speeds. Limited-time deal: TP-Link Deco AX3000 WiFi 6 Mesh system https://a.co/d/bf27Rct
    Thank you!

Pretty hard to believe that data caps are still a thing in 2023.

Quote Originally Posted by gjl View Post
    You would be well served to switch to YouTube TV in that case. We use it and we can use it on any device and we especially love that it's accessible whenever we travel with the camper, DVR and all.

Thread Information