Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Big Biang Theory

1. Default Re: Big Biang Theory

Quote Originally Posted by CS_Mike View Post
    Serious question... Are you saying you were mocking my visceral reaction to seeing a slur on a menu? Or am I misunderstanding the intent of your sarcasm?
    I'm mocking you for making a slur out of a term that wasn't a slur.... As I said above.... The pronunciation of Jap in that context would not even be in the context you are pronouncing it in... It would be pronounced Hap. The J in Jalapeno is pronounced as an H.

Default Re: Big Biang Theory

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    I'm mocking you for making a slur out of a term that wasn't a slur.... As I said above.... The pronunciation of Jap in that context would not even be in the context you are pronouncing it in... It would be pronounced Hap. The J in Jalapeno is pronounced as an H.
    Wow, I was really trying to give you the benefit of the doubt, hoping I misunderstood your message, but I guess you actually were trying to be a d*ck.

First off, jap isn't an actual abbreviation for jalapeno, so I would venture that the average person might READ the word and automatically pronounce it in their head as "jap" and not "hap", regardless of the context or intent. And that is what happened in my case, which immediately triggered a subconscious reaction due to my own personal trauma with the word. The gut reaction happened before I even had an opportunity to investigate the context. And apparently that's worthy of being mocked? Am I a snowflake because I happened to be subjected to racist derision in junior high while you may have been fortunate enough to not have to deal with that kind of crap? Do you think I'm the only person of Japanese descent in this city who might have a similar reaction?

I always enjoyed your takes on the food scene in this city, so I'm honestly disappointed to see this side of you.

No one pronounces jap as "hap" - that's not a thing.

No reason to think it's meant to be hurtful but let's be serious here.

alright... let's get back to topic.

Who runs/owns this place btw?

Quote Originally Posted by fortpatches View Post
    Who runs/owns this place btw?
    The same guy (believe he's Laotian) that launched the popular food truck.

Also believe he did most the interior buildout.

Place is great, I have been going to their food truck/booth at arts festival for years.
    For some reason when I was there they did not have the option to add chicken/goku steak to the traditional advertised on the menu at all but it at least got me to finally try something new there lol.
    Just checked their social media and it looks like they updated the menu a couple days ago to reflect the original options from the food truck, good deal.

We went there Saturday. They did have the option to add Chicken (+$4 I think).

The food was pretty good. But seems like they are having some growing pains. They did not have any to-go containers at all, which was kind of disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by fortpatches View Post
    We went there Saturday. They did have the option to add Chicken (+$4 I think).

The food was pretty good. But seems like they are having some growing pains. They did not have any to-go containers at all, which was kind of disappointing.
    No to-go containers is crazy for somewhere that only existed as a food truck like a month ago lol

Blog Entries

I went Saturday late afternoon and we did get to-go containers, so we must have taken the last two!. Sorry about that! Ha

Quote Originally Posted by okatty View Post
    I went Saturday late afternoon and we did get to-go containers, so we must have taken the last two!. Sorry about that! Ha
    Hmmm, maybe they got more after we left then....
    She went back to check for two different types of togo containers.

We were there at 11:15-12:00ish.

Blog Entries

Yes we were there 4-5 range. Ordered one take out and also a to-go box for what we had there. So must usually have them and just ran out (hopefully).

Glad to hear they added to the menu. When I last went they said they had their menu and it was different from the food truck. What I had was good, but wasn't going to go back cause I didn't get what I wanted.

Thread Information