Widgets Magazine
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: May 2023 - General Weather Discussion

Default Re: May 2023 - General Weather Discussion

I couldn't take it anymore and set my mower on a high level just so I could knock it down a bit.

I'm sure I'll be mowing again in a few days but it does look much better.

What weather radar apps do you guys like? I have been using tuttle’s weather app but I’m sick of his stupid ads that pop up at horribly inconvenient times.

Quote Originally Posted by C_M_25 View Post
    What weather radar apps do you guys like? I have been using tuttle’s weather app but I’m sick of his stupid ads that pop up at horribly inconvenient times.
    radarscope. it doesn't have a bunch of the common "cool" features that a bunch of others have. but if you are just wanting to look at radar data. it's great. able to show different tilts, and different data sets from the radar very quickly.

Mesonet has a decent app. Good radar. If I want more info, I use weather.com

Besides Radarscope which I do pay an annual fee for the live lightning data, I also like the Windy app. It has all kinds of features that are pretty cool.

Try this one. I use it on a PC or Laptop. Takes a while to figure out all it's features. I use Relf At Lowest Altitude for pretty accurate coverage of what is actually reaching the ground.

https://mrms.nssl.noaa.gov/qvs/product_viewer/

Phone app I use My Radar.

Quote Originally Posted by C_M_25 View Post
    If you're looking for high-resolution weather radar and access to the same kind of radar products that the pros can see, it's hard to beat Radarscope. It's a little overpowered for a casual user that is just looking for basic radar, though. The Mesonet app is a great free option for basic radar (as well as immediate conditions and forecasts) and they don't have any ads.

Quote Originally Posted by baralheia View Post
    If you're looking for high-resolution weather radar and access to the same kind of radar products that the pros can see, it's hard to beat Radarscope. It's a little overpowered for a casual user that is just looking for basic radar, though. The Mesonet app is a great free option for basic radar (as well as immediate conditions and forecasts) and they don't have any ads.
    +1 for Radarscope it is great ..

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    Besides Radarscope which I do pay an annual fee for the live lightning data, I also like the Windy app. It has all kinds of features that are pretty cool.
    I second Windy.

Radarscope and Radar Omega are the two heavy hitters in this space if you willing to pay.

That is a wrap on this system. Many parts of KS, OK, and TX that are ravaged with drought got some needed help.

Next storm chances look like Thursday night into Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    That is a wrap on this system. Many parts of KS, OK, and TX that are ravaged with drought got some needed help.

Next storm chances look like Thursday night into Friday.
    The NWS Weather Prediction Center issued its updated Day 3-7 forecast and put Oklahoma in a "Heavy Rain" threat for 5/18-5/19. https://twitter.com/NWSWPC/status/1658208369973526528

Quote Originally Posted by LakeEffect View Post
    The NWS Weather Prediction Center issued its updated Day 3-7 forecast and put Oklahoma in a "Heavy Rain" threat for 5/18-5/19. https://twitter.com/NWSWPC/status/1658208369973526528
    GFS forecast through Saturday. Northern OK needs this badly

Heavy rain moving into OK Friday AM through the afternoon. Widespread 1-2" amounts likely

Models did a good job with this storm, and NW OK finally picked up some decent rainfall. The next drought monitor should look a lot better across OK

Back to the Chaser thing for a minute. I'll never understand well I do understand (rating and hype) but why were the chasers out at 4pm when storms were not even moving into the the state until after midnight and the risk was pretty much non existent yesterday.

I had another 1 3/4" in my rain gauge this morning. That puts me at about 13" total for the month at my location. I mowed my yard Wednesday evening and was still mowing through wet grass.

Quote Originally Posted by gjl View Post
    I had another 1 3/4" in my rain gauge this morning. That puts me at about 13" total for the month at my location. I mowed my yard Wednesday evening and was still mowing through wet grass.
    Interesting, are you in Logan County? That has been one of the wetter locations over the past 30 days

Overall much of the state is still below normal for the year but the gap is narrowing. Osage County still has a pretty significant deficit

No. 39th and Meridian area. About 1/4 mile away from that.

Storm Season picks up the first week of June however might be a Panhandle thing and more Kansas thing. Stay Tuned.

Wish I can edit my other post . Still far out but severe weather for the Southern High Plains picks up middle of next week first week of June.

GFS forecasted rain totals through the weekend. Hopefully this pans out for Western OK and the Panhandle

Western OK and the Panhandle will continue to pick up needed rainfall as MCS from Colorado move southeast. Central OK could see some activity but mainly west. Holiday weekend looks mostly dry and warm.

I just wanna go on record and say the 180 the weather has done in the last two months is amazing. This has turned out to be one of the best springs in OKC that I can remember in years.

This goes to show you how much of a difference the moisture and storm pattern can make on an area. Not having 30mph winds out of the south everytime it is 80 degrees is honestly my dream weather.

^

Also, by early June last year, it was not only incredibly dry but blazing hot and stayed that way all summer.

Thread Information