Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RFP for New Ambulance Service

Default RFP for New Ambulance Service

https://youtu.be/Drnq3P3vHZE

This is excellent news/progress. Hopefully a solid proposal is provided by an entity that can provide the level of service the citizen’s deserve.

Default Re: RFP for New Ambulance Service

who is likely to take over? also i thought EMSA was In charge were they or am i experiencing Deja vu

Quote Originally Posted by TornadoKegan View Post
    who is likely to take over? also i thought EMSA was In charge were they or am i experiencing Deja vu
    We shall see what companies respond to the RFP and how they propose their service to work given the Fire Chief laid out several options.

4. Default Re: RFP for New Ambulance Service

There are others out there, but they're quite small. Unless Saints or Mercy try to get this business, it's unlikely that anyone besides EMSA will get it. The cost to come in to the space is just too great. That's why EMSA isn't getting dislodged in the areas they have been in. But Saints took over the Midwest Regional area (Tinker/MWC/DC/Choctaw), and they did increase their fleet a couple times over with that. I wouldn't count them out.....IF they are interested. I'm not sure they would be, to be honest, since they dont have a good location to transport to in order to keep the dollars in their network.

So honestly, no i dont think you'll see it go to anyone other than EMSA. And EMSA is really going to be the winner until OKC does away with them, if ever. Once that happens, there will be a scramble for them to be financially stable and will probably dissolve. The trucks go to OKC, but OKC doesn't have the space in their fire stations to house the folks and the training to get them certified like they would be in any other big city, is high. It would be interesting times, for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    There are others out there, but they're quite small. Unless Saints or Mercy try to get this business, it's unlikely that anyone besides EMSA will get it. The cost to come in to the space is just too great. That's why EMSA isn't getting dislodged in the areas they have been in. But Saints took over the Midwest Regional area (Tinker/MWC/DC/Choctaw), and they did increase their fleet a couple times over with that. I wouldn't count them out.....IF they are interested. I'm not sure they would be, to be honest, since they dont have a good location to transport to in order to keep the dollars in their network.

So honestly, no i dont think you'll see it go to anyone other than EMSA. And EMSA is really going to be the winner until OKC does away with them, if ever. Once that happens, there will be a scramble for them to be financially stable and will probably dissolve. The trucks go to OKC, but OKC doesn't have the space in their fire stations to house the folks and the training to get them certified like they would be in any other big city, is high. It would be interesting times, for sure.
    You don't think Samaritan would put in a solid bid? They serve multiple communities in the region... https://samaritanemsok.com/services/

I really wish Edmond would consider integrating ambulance care/emergency response in with our Fire Department. They tend to show up first when you call 911 anyways.

Watching the video and seeing that we're raised the expected response time for priority 1 incidents to over 10 minutes, and EMSA hasn't been hitting that for 3 years is horrifying.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    I really wish Edmond would consider integrating ambulance care/emergency response in with our Fire Department. They tend to show up first when you call 911 anyways.

Watching the video and seeing that we're raised the expected response time for priority 1 incidents to over 10 minutes, and EMSA hasn't been hitting that for 3 years is horrifying.
    I agree. It was only after moving to Oklahoma that I learned there was even such a thing as a for-profit privatized ambulance service and was being used here. I've always thought that a city investing in it's own safety, including paramedics and ambulances, was the best way. Each firehouse should have it's own paramedic and ambulance, or if not each one have them at select stations strategically placed around the city.

I am still trying to figure out how the emergency services works here.
    So far, I have called 9-1-1 twice for fires and they just transfer you to the fire department? If you call for something medical, does 9-1-1 take the call or do they just transfer you to EMSA?

I've never been transferred to EMSA when calling 911. Typically they take the call and then police, fire, and EMSA (eventually) show up. With a son with heart conditions and other issues in the house, we've unfortunately had way too many opportunities to make that call.

It should also be noted, despite my EMSA complaints, that they are not a for profit entity. EMSA is a trust largely run by OKC and Tulsa appointees. What's really confusing is that until recently EMSA didn't actually provide the ambulance services if I recall correctly - they ran them but another company (AMR I think?) actually provided the services. I've never quite understood how all that works.

Quote Originally Posted by fortpatches View Post
    I am still trying to figure out how the emergency services works here.
    So far, I have called 9-1-1 twice for fires and they just transfer you to the fire department? If you call for something medical, does 9-1-1 take the call or do they just transfer you to EMSA?
    Within Edmond proper if you call 911 it is answered by Edmond Emergency Communications which is a separate agency from police, fire, and EMSA. The call taker takes the call and whomever is assigned to the two police channels or the one fire channel will dispatch it. EMS callas are forwarded to EMSA but the call taker listens in to update the call for EFD and EPD call notes.

11. Default Re: RFP for New Ambulance Service

Quote Originally Posted by LakeEffect View Post
    You don't think Samaritan would put in a solid bid? They serve multiple communities in the region... https://samaritanemsok.com/services/
    Could they bid, sure? Will they win? No, i dont think so. They dont have the size to take on a city the size of Edmond. Either they would have to poach a lot of employees from EMSA or do a massive hiring spree from a pool of non-existent candidates.

I dont know if Edmond, like OKC, actually owns trucks that cover their area. If not, it means whomever gets the bid, would also have to purchase a fleet and everything that goes with it. Samaritan doesn't have the fleet maintenance ability for Edmond right now. So while Edmond would be a nice contract, their upstart expenses would be massive. I'm just not sure it makes business sense for them.

If Edmond owns the trucks, i think it's a good way for Edmond to bring it in-house to the Fire Department. There's more capacity in places like Edmond/Moore/Suburbs to do this. Start widdling away at EMSA and its corruption, and getting things back in the hands of the municipalities. If they don't own them, well they were short-sighted and they're perpetually stuck.

After reading the RFP I could see Pafford bidding along with EMSA and AMR. Given the relationship between the city and Integris, it would be interesting to see if Integris Health tries to expand their EMS operations into the metro via Edmond.

While obviously on a smaller scale and admittedly I have not read the contract, it appears Pafford at least provided some of the same style of services (think branding, community representation) for Mustang much like Edmond is seeking.

If Edmond owns the trucks, i think it's a good way for Edmond to bring it in-house to the Fire Department. There's more capacity in places like Edmond/Moore/Suburbs to do this. Start widdling away at EMSA and its corruption, and getting things back in the hands of the municipalities. If they don't own them, well they were short-sighted and they're perpetually stuck.
    EFD is wanting to buy three ambulances at the company's discounted pricing through the manufacturer to run as Squads which will look odd having two actual ambulances at a call. But, to your point there may just be a method to the madness and this is ultimately a transition period.

Hearing there are five separate proposals received thus far.

Could they bid, sure? Will they win? No, i dont think so. They dont have the size to take on a city the size of Edmond. Either they would have to poach a lot of employees from EMSA or do a massive hiring spree from a pool of non-existent candidates.

I dont know if Edmond, like OKC, actually owns trucks that cover their area. If not, it means whomever gets the bid, would also have to purchase a fleet and everything that goes with it. Samaritan doesn't have the fleet maintenance ability for Edmond right now. So while Edmond would be a nice contract, their upstart expenses would be massive. I'm just not sure it makes business sense for them.

Yes I Agree EMSA isn't the best Moore/Norman Has Norman Regional Now the Norman Transcript is in Edmond. now i know Norman Regional is strictly on the south side of the Metro. However Immediate Care of Oklahoma witch is owned by Norman Regional (There is one on Covell in Edmond) therefore Norman Regional EMSSTAT could be a possibility for Edmond.

15. Default Re: RFP for New Ambulance Service

Fleet Maintenance is a big thing to watch too. I'm wondering if the fleet of some of these smaller groups, would be allowed to use the Edmond city garage. Tires, Oil, damages, etc. And where do they go to restock between calls. Do they get to partner with the FD for a base are are they in a 7-11 parking lot?

If you're a new presence to the community, then you have to create that infrastructure. If you're Norman EMSTAT, then it means a lot of wear for travel to Norman for those items.

The EMSA depot recently moved to 59th and Sooner just north of 240 in an old Baker Hughes location. Or maybe it was Wood Group/GE Oil and Gas...can't remember as I don't live near there any longer. But when I have gone up Sooner, regardless of the the time of day, there has always been a steady stream of Ambulance traffic headed back and forth between the garage there and 240. Granted, its a MUCH bigger fleet to work with, but my point is that there is a lot more "touch" to the garage than people often think.

Fleet Maintenance is a big thing to watch too. I'm wondering if the fleet of some of these smaller groups, would be allowed to use the Edmond city garage. Tires, Oil, damages, etc. And where do they go to restock between calls. Do they get to partner with the FD for a base are are they in a 7-11 parking lot?

If you're a new presence to the community, then you have to create that infrastructure. If you're Norman EMSTAT, then it means a lot of wear for travel to Norman for those items.
    They would be better off avoiding the city garage. I guess we will see in a couple of months what the ideas are. So far there are five entities that had submitted proposals with a desire to operate in Edmond. Personally, if the city is going to buy three ambulances to act as "Squads" anyway, they should just go the whole way and just run EMS like so many other towns and cities do.

No more EMSA, although I am not sure when the changeover will take place. Won't say who but my "from the outside" opinion is a better option was overlooked. Unless this is merely a bridge to ultimately establish a city run service and maybe this vendor provides something whether intentionally or unintentionally that fulfills that.

I'm not familiar with either of the companies they chose as finalists over EMSA's bid to know much. Are you saying the other finalist would have been a better option than AMR or that there would have been a better solution (such as taking it in house)?

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    I'm not familiar with either of the companies they chose as finalists over EMSA's bid to know much. Are you saying the other finalist would have been a better option than AMR or that there would have been a better solution (such as taking it in house)?
    Personally I'd prefer in-house as I trust the fire guys but that is not my lane. I've never heard anything bad about Pafford and honestly thought that is who would pull it off. AMR is national so while that may mean more benefits in some way, it also means you're a small fish in a large pond. I also know there was the previous drama between EMSA and AMR although I know nothing as to who was the party creating it. Nonetheless, I have heard that the desire is to have five (5) ambulances in Edmond so I can't expect that the service would be worse, but maybe not as great, as it could be bid amounts aside.

From Monday's city council its going to AMR and yes they run ambulance as well as fire contract services in other states. I dont have any inside knowledge as I am retired. My 3 cents is I would like it third service, run by the city with emt/paramedics as city employees. Its not a job that most will want to spend more then 20 yrs doing. As a third service they could transfer to other city jobs when age and bad knees/backs make the job more difficult. I spent 10 yrs "part time" in the back of units plus my 27 yrs on the fire dept.

So when EMSA gets put out to pasture here, what happens to all their ambulances? Can they send them all up to Tulsa or will they have to sell their OKC units?

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    So when EMSA gets put out to pasture here, what happens to all their ambulances? Can they send them all up to Tulsa or will they have to sell their OKC units?
    EMSA doesn't really own their equipment .

Did anyone see a timeline for the EMSA to AMR change over?

Quote Originally Posted by LakeEffect View Post
    Did anyone see a timeline for the EMSA to AMR change over?
    Yet to be determined. Once the contract is negotiated and approved it should be outlined. Chief speculated around the end of the year was possible.

Looks like the lease for the old Fire Station 2 has been finalized as several of the Ambulances have been relocated there from the Fire Training Center. With that, seems EFD's target of a Dec. 1st launch date is holding.

Thread Information