Widgets Magazine

Thread: Peter Zeihan's Geopolitical Analysis of Oklahoma

Default Peter Zeihan's Geopolitical Analysis of Oklahoma

Pretty interesting comments on Oklahoma's Geopolitical analysis.

(Peter has recently become more famous by being on Joe Rogan a few weeks back to discuss world affairs. Also a fascinating interview).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5cq3HZYwNQ

"That pan-shaped state above Texas offers much more than just tornados and sports. The Sooner State has done most of the heavy lifting in establishing itself as an agricultural, precision manufacturing, and energy state. All that to say, Oklahoma is not only a leader in the US but globally as well.

Oklahoma is like Texas' little brother...they do a lot of the same things, but trying to compete with the big dog is pointless. However, that doesn't mean Oklahoma cannot progress along the value-added chain in preparation for the collapse of globalization.

Oklahoma already has a robust refining industry. It wouldn't take much to start producing the plastics, housewares, and synthetic rubbers that could face supply chain issues in the coming years. They have all the raw goods; they just need to build out the last step...and some better rail lines wouldn't hurt either."

Default Re: Peter Zeihan's Geopolitical Analysis of Oklahoma

I was surprised to see that he was in the city, I would have liked to go to what ever event he spoke at. He has a very interesting perspective, I don't always agree with him, but I enjoy his contribution to the conversation.

3. Default Re: Peter Zeihan's Geopolitical Analysis of Oklahoma

Hard to take anyone seriously who talks about the collapse of globalization.

Are we really established as a precision manufacturing state? I hadn't heard about that sector being that big in OK, as it almost has to be if what he says is true. Also, do we really have that robust of a refining sector? I thought we pretty much just pumped oil and sent it to other states for refining (if that's the kind of refining he's talking about).

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Also, do we really have that robust of a refining sector? I thought we pretty much just pumped oil and sent it to other states for refining
    there are multiple refineries throughout the state... several in the tulsa area, then ponca city, wynnewood, and ardmore.

Quote Originally Posted by catcherinthewry View Post
    Hard to take anyone seriously who talks about the collapse of globalization.
    He says China is going to collapse in 10 years so time will tell how brilliant he is. I think I’ve read somewhere he’s gotten a few of his predictions correct so we’ll see. I’m not 100% confident in his beliefs either. I also don’t think his “Oklahoma has gotten the hard part out of the way” made much sense or is true. It’s like he didn’t put much thought into that statement.

Blog Entries

Are we really established as a precision manufacturing state?
    There are lots of precision manufacturing companies in Oklahoma in the oilfield and pipeline equipment sectors.

I know the Society of Petroleum Engineers symposium is going on this week.. but I checked the website and and we wasn't listed as a speaker. I wonder why he was here?

Quote Originally Posted by Swake View Post
    There are lots of precision manufacturing companies in Oklahoma in the oilfield and pipeline equipment sectors.
    Thanks, and to Martin also. So OK's great strengths, in his opinion, are totally oil-related, makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Swake View Post
    KimRay is one of the gold standards in the industry

Thanks, and to Martin also. So OK's great strengths, in his opinion, are totally oil-related, makes sense.
    I'd think the military bases have a little weight also.

12. Default Re: Peter Zeihan's Geopolitical Analysis of Oklahoma

Are we really established as a precision manufacturing state? I hadn't heard about that sector being that big in OK, as it almost has to be if what he says is true. Also, do we really have that robust of a refining sector? I thought we pretty much just pumped oil and sent it to other states for refining (if that's the kind of refining he's talking about).
    I believe Tinker does a lot of precision part manufacturing for their maintenance work. They are always looking for machinists coming through the vo-tech system.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    I believe Tinker does a lot of precision part manufacturing for their maintenance work. They are always looking for machinists coming through the vo-tech system.
    Yes. An our vo-tech system is one of the stronger ones in the nation; we churn out a lot of technical people. There's a lot of precision defense-related manufacturing in Oklahoma that people don't really hear about. Don't forget the McAlester Army Ammunition Plant either.

Thread Information