Widgets Magazine

Thread: Concrete patio work?

Default Concrete patio work?

My back patio needs work.

Anybody have experience with having concrete poured on top of an existing slab? I hope to avoid completely tearing out the existing patio out.

Also, I would appreciate recommendations for outdoor concrete work. Somebody who is reasonable and reliable.

Thanks.

Default Re: Concrete patio work?

What is wrong with the existing slab? Is it sinking? If it is very stable and has shown no tilting or sinking in the past 5 years it is probably okay to pour on top of. But if it is showing signs of recent settling then adding a bunch of weight on top of it will only make it worse and will probably crack your new poured surface pretty fast. If your slab isn’t level they would be smart to try and stabilize it with some piers as the new surface will try to “slide” down the slab overtime, which will crack it.

If you are okay with cracking in a few years then it’s not a bad idea, but if saving $1,500 on slab removal means redoing the entire job in 7 years because of cracks then you are probably better off pulling up the old slab and getting a nice proper base in for your new pour.

Concrete cracks and ice cream melts. Two life truths, but cracks can be controlled and delayed with a proper base.

^

The main issue is the patio is out of level as it was poured over 60 years ago. I patched some cracks and haven't noticed any subsequent cracking in the 5-6 years since I've been here.

All concrete needs a base and it seems the current patio might be a better one than going down to the dirt and starting all over.

4. Default Re: Concrete patio work?

Try SEALWIZE of Oklahoma (405) 751-1442
    I have no idea what the cost is but I've seen their concrete overlay work a few times.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ^

The main issue is the patio is out of level as it was poured over 60 years ago. I patched some cracks and haven't noticed any subsequent cracking in the 5-6 years since I've been here.

All concrete needs a base and it seems the current patio might be a better one than going down to the dirt and starting all over.
    True but a level base is the most important thing. So if you have a significant slope there will still be issues. If it’s mostly level it should be okay. But I would definitely think about it before signing a check.

There are lots of factors included in determining a solution for your existing concrete patio.
    Patios are not supposed to be completely level.
    There should be a means for any exterior rain water to drain off.
    Typically, a patio should have a minimum drainage of 1" per 10' away from the house.
    But if the concrete patio is cracked up, if one were to cover or place new concrete over the existing patio, the existing cracks can and will translate up and through the newly placed concrete.

Pete did you ever find anybody? I need similar work done.

Quote Originally Posted by jccouger View Post
    Pete did you ever find anybody? I need similar work done.
    No, still searching.

I know you don't like Nextdoor but I used this person for some concrete work at my house in January and he did an excellent job exactly how I asked for it to be done. His name is Anthony and contacted him through his wife Maria. He also did some other work at the same time like replacing some rotted landscape timbers, fixed a broken fence post and hauled off all the old items. He showed up when he said he would and did the work for a very fair price I thought.
    https://nextdoor.com/p/M6sLWMR86L3q?...query=concrete

^

Thank you!

11. Default Re: Concrete patio work?

^
    Sometimes guys who do a little bit of everything get a bad rap. But being in construction/maintenance for all the years I have I can attest that often they are very good at a range of things. Knowing construction sometimes is knowing construction.

Anthony's regular job is concrete work for a contractor. He just does it on the side too. He actually started work on my project on New years Day and kept at it for 3 days because he said things were a little slow at his regular job. . I've always been a do it your selfer. I'm picky about how I want things done which is why I always try and do things myself because too many times I've hired someone to do something and it rarely turns out how I would have done it. After hiring Anthony for the projects i needed done I will definitely be calling him again for a few more things I need fixed. My age is getting to where I just cant do some things any more.

^

Anthony is going to come out this week and give me an estimate.

Thanks again.

Thread Information