Widgets Magazine

Thread: Pickleball

Default Pickleball

I am honestly not sure where to put this, but I have a gripe. OKC has very few free or even remotely cheap places to play pickleball. It is crazy to me, given how fast it is growing in Oklahoma (heck, we got a pro team: https://www.fox23.com/news/local/pro...17f5c2a4e.html)

CnP is like, $40/hr, Scissortail is $25/hr.

Are there any plans at all for any large pickleball parks? They are everywhere around the country, but for some reason, avoiding OKC.

Default Re: Pickleball

I realize it's not centrally located (unless you live in Edmond) but last time I played at Kickingbird it was free, and they have pickup games all morning Tuesday - Friday. Also Santa Fe Club at 63rd and Broadway was relatively inexpensive and had lots of play. I know this doesn't answer your direct question, just offering ideas to get more play.

Quote Originally Posted by chssooner View Post
    I am honestly not sure where to put this, but I have a gripe. OKC has very few free or even remotely cheap places to play pickleball. It is crazy to me, given how fast it is growing in Oklahoma (heck, we got a pro team: https://www.fox23.com/news/local/pro...17f5c2a4e.html)

CnP is like, $40/hr, Scissortail is $25/hr.

Are there any plans at all for any large pickleball parks? They are everywhere around the country, but for some reason, avoiding OKC.
    do you have to pay to use the scissortail park courts?? i thought that was just to reserve a court ... but if they are open anyone can play ..

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    do you have to pay to use the scissortail park courts?? i thought that was just to reserve a court ... but if they are open anyone can play ..
    https://scissortailpark.org/rentasportscourt/

Hard to tell. Maybe I misread the website. If that is the case, it makes sense.

OKC pickleball is growing just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by RangersYear View Post
    OKC pickleball is growing just fine.
    I know, that is my point. There needs to be more courts built all over the city!

I've used the scissortail courts several times without having to pay or make a reservation. If you're supposed to pay that is news to me. My only issue is there have been several times where we have gone to play and there's kids playing with a soccer ball on one or several of the courts.

Yeah, the Scissortail courts are free to use during the day, but if you want to reserve them they are $25/hour.

So far the cheapest option I have found for Pickleball is joining GOPB club. It is $40 for the whole year - which gives you free access to the Kickingbird Indoor Dome anytime.

Additionally, they host weekly Pickleball nights on Wednesdays at CnP for $5.

*Not affiliated with them, just enjoyed the value I have received from paying for my membership. $40 for a whole year is a decent amount

Quote Originally Posted by burksooner View Post
    Yeah, the Scissortail courts are free to use during the day, but if you want to reserve them they are $25/hour.

So far the cheapest option I have found for Pickleball is joining GOPB club. It is $40 for the whole year - which gives you free access to the Kickingbird Indoor Dome anytime.

*Not affiliated with them, just enjoyed the value I have received from paying for my membership. $40 for a whole year is a decent amount
    outdoor at kickingbird is free correct??

Quote Originally Posted by burksooner View Post

Yep, echoed. Definitely the best value because it gets you an app that lets you open the doors to the indoor courts, and you get to see scheduling for the outdoor just so you have some idea when to go (or not go if don't want to join a scheduled session).

Hoping we get some more courts near Quail. Lifetime Fitness and CnP are great but just costly. I see a lot of neighborhoods starting to repurpose their tennis courts to pickleball courts so maybe someday there will be a big string of available locations.

There are 3 completely free pickeball courts with lights in Cherokee Hills Park in Warr Acres.

I've never seen anyone using them.

More and more tennis courts are being converted.

https://journalrecord.com/2023/05/24...-other-metros/

Any ideas where this is referring to in OKC?

Quote Originally Posted by chssooner View Post
    https://journalrecord.com/2023/05/24...-other-metros/

Any ideas where this is referring to in OKC?
    Plans are in play for pickleball lovers to be able to book games soon in indoor mall and strip mall locations converted into highly designed Picklemalls in cities across the country. The concept, led by Picklemall CEO West Shaw and backed by billionaire financier and Major League Pickleball founder Steve Kuhn, will debut in July in Tempe, Arizona. Locations in Oklahoma City, Tulsa and about 50 other cities will follow in months to come.
    The article says the OKC and Tulsa locations were not identified.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    The article says the OKC and Tulsa locations were not identified.
    I know, just wasn't sure if there was any smoke at all. Found it interesting, and seems like an awesome concept that will do very well!

That does sound like an awesome concept. Looking forward to seeing what might come of it.

Blog Entries

I live on a large cul-de-sac. The neighbors used gray tape (almost invisible unless you are right on the site) to mark a pb court and it's used quite a bit on weekends. Cheap, fun, close. Good neighbor magnet.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I live on a large cul-de-sac. The neighbors used gray tape (almost invisible unless you are right on the site) to mark a pb court and it's used quite a bit on weekends. Cheap, fun, close. Good neighbor magnet.
    That's a great idea!

I also live on a cul-de-sac and maybe I could do something similar.

We also are in a cul-de-sac and our neighbor just bought a portable net that is on wheels so we can just roll it out of the way when someone comes down in a car. We used yellow tape and just leave it down. I think this is the one he got and it's really well put together.

https://pickleballcentral.com/frankl...net-on-wheels/

20. Default Re: Pickleball

We started a Tuesday night Pickleball event in our church gym (the Pastor plays so he actually encouraged more to join in). I think we have 4 courts set up each week? Don't quote me on that. If you're interested, i can pass on details.

Thread Information