Widgets Magazine

Thread: Tokyo

Western Ave. Tokyo

Since 1987, Tokyo at 7516 N Western has served some of the best Japanese cuisine in the city.

Now, their success has led to plans that will involve moving to a renovated and larger building just to the east and ultimately demolishing their current location.

The new setup up will be larger and better able to accommodate a modern commercial kitchen as well as an expanded dining and bar area.

Recently, Jinya Ramen opened just a few blocks south as did Pachinko, as this small section of Western has several different and popular takes on Japanese food.

Default Re: Tokyo

Glad to see this, they were definitely batting over what their appearance is.

I just did not understand why they did not expand years ago? At least it is finally getting it done

The grand reopening of Tokyo is today 11/10 at 7516 N. Western.

Same great food and people, brand new digs as they built all new across the parking lot from their original building where they had operated since 1987.

Long, wrap-around sushi bar, intimate booths, and an outdoor patio for nice days.

Hours are Tuesday through Saturday 11 AM to 2 PM then 5 PM to 9 PM; 10 PM on Friday and Saturday; Sunday 5 PM to 9 PM and closed Mondays.

5. Default Re: Tokyo

Do we know what's to become of the original charming (if a bit ramshackle) building? Seems likely to be a teardown, which bums me out just a bit. Good memories there, and would hate to see a typical parking lot setback in its place, but seems a bit inevitable.

Separately, does anyone know the original purpose of the old building? I've always wondered. My best guess has always been that it was an old motor court hotel, and that originally there was a separate L-shaped building ringing it, with rooms for let. Only a guess though.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Do we know what's to become of the original charming (if a bit ramshackle) building? Seems likely to be a teardown, which bums me out just a bit. Good memories there, and would hate to see a typical parking lot setback in its place, but seems a bit inevitable.

Separately, does anyone know the original purpose of the old building? I've always wondered. My best guess has always been that it was an old motor court hotel, and that originally there was a separate L-shaped building ringing it, with rooms for let. Only a guess though.
    Pretty sure they've already torn it down for parking.

Yes, old building has given way to parking. This is from about a week ago:

8. Default Re: Tokyo

Welp

That looks incredible! I wish they were able to remove that billboard. I'm not sure how that works though. I'm sure the billboard company either bought it or has a long lease. It just looks so out of place.

Welp
    Not everything old needs to be saved. It was a rickety, old eyesore, IMO.

County assessor website says the structure was built in 1940. I happen to have a 1961 city directory so I looked it up. If it had originally been a motel (which is what it made me think of also), by 1961 it wasn't any more. That year the property consisted of several businesses: 7512 - Suburban Builders Supply; 7514 - McCourry TC; 7516 - Ye Ole Towne Cryer; 7520 -Fitzpatrick Appliance Service.

12. Default Re: Tokyo

Quote Originally Posted by chssooner View Post
    Where did I suggest that it should be saved?

Where did I suggest that it should be saved?
    Welp...seemed to give it away.

I wasn't bashing you, just giving my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by chssooner View Post
    big stretch to say it was an “eyesore” but certainly wasn’t any real need to save it

15. Default Re: Tokyo

Glad to see the place has a new home on its same site. That's the best of both worlds. They get a new building and they dont have to move.

There was a little charm in the place being an old house like that, but it was also pretty dang old and in not just great shape. The new place is a million times better and they'll be better able to serve customers in this new space.

If you've never eaten here, it's wonderful. Personally, i prefer it over Sushi Neko any day.

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    Glad to see the place has a new home on its same site. That's the best of both worlds. They get a new building and they dont have to move.

There was a little charm in the place being an old house like that, but it was also pretty dang old and in not just great shape. The new place is a million times better and they'll be better able to serve customers in this new space.

If you've never eaten here, it's wonderful. Personally, i prefer it over Sushi Neko any day.
    Same

Looking forward to trying the new digs...I liked the food but didn't find the previous restaurant charming (I thought it was pretty ratty).

Tried to go at lunch and it was an absolute mob scene. Every spot was filled and the side street was slammed on both sides with cars. Never seen Tokyo even 1/3 this full.

We went for dinner last Sunday and there was ~45 minute wait for 4. Night and day difference between the two locations obviously, but the food stayed fairly consistent. You can tell they're overwhelmed with the response, and that showed with the wait time on food, etc. The service was as good as always, and they apologized for the slow waits. Going to let the newness wear off before we go again, but think they've hit a home run.

Thread Information