Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: April 2023 - General Weather Discussion

Weather April 2023 - General Weather Discussion

Active pattern continues to start the month. Cold front is pushing into the state at the moment which means that we will have a brisk start to the day tomorrow morning, but ultimately tomorrow afternoon should be very nice with highs in the 60's and winds dying down as the day goes on (which will hopefully help with ongoing firefighting efforts). Quick turnaround on Sunday as the moist sector reestablishes itself which will possibly lead to elevated thunderstorms around midday (likely non-severe, maybe a marginal hail threat). Monday and especially Tuesday look very problematic for additional wildfires as a dryline will likely shunt the moisture eastward, and highs in the mid 80's along with strong SW winds will once again encourage the rapid spread of any fires that develop. On the off chance that the dryline ends up further west than what is currently forecast, the environment will likely be very favorable for severe weather as opposed to wildfires. The more probable outcome is that it will end up as another regional tornado outbreak for areas to our east. Another strong cold front will move through on Tuesday Night which will knock high temperatures down into the 50s/60s for the rest of the week. The pattern potentially looks more favorable for rain across much of the state as we head into next weekend. We will keep our fingers crossed.

Default Re: April 2023 - General Weather Discussion

Fire Weather Watch has already been issued for Tuesday Afternoon.

Since there's no specific thread, can anyone tell me how close the wildfire got to Seward Rd? I can'tv tell from any vids online l've found.

I drove up there this afternoon out of curiosity and didn't see any damage north of Forrest Hills.

Pop-up storms rolling through the Metro currently.

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    I drove up there this afternoon out of curiosity and didn't see any damage north of Forrest Hills.
    Whew, thx. Family land up there.

So freaking windy and dry.

North of the I-44 corridor is a freaking tinderbox right now.

Big rains forecasted in Texas later this week but only slight chances in eastern OK Tues night. A cooler, drier air mass will be in place through Easter weekend. Unsettled weather doesn’t return until later next week

Long rang GFS doesn’t show much in the way of a pattern change until mid-April and even then, it doesn’t look all that significant. I really hope that is wrong. Getting concerned about this drought in NW Oklahoma

Extreme fire danger for the W half of the state again tomorrow as winds pick back up. Smoke and dust filling the air seems like it will be a theme this Spring. Meanwhile eastern OK into AR is basically a lush rainforest.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    Extreme fire danger for the W half of the state again tomorrow as winds pick back up. Smoke and dust filling the air seems like it will be a theme this Spring. Meanwhile eastern OK into AR is basically a lush rainforest.
    I was in western Arkansas this past weekend, wow it is a night and day difference. I seem to remember it was a similar situation last spring too and a few MCS rounds in late May and early June really saved Oklahoma from being in a severe drought before the summer drought really kicked in later in June

The GFS is giving me glimmers of hope. Looks like we could be entering into a more active pattern on the 14th going through the 20th. Fingers crossed that holds out.

Large wildfire ongoing near Weatherford. Fire warning has been issued. Meanwhile, a bit of good news for the Metro as the high clouds and a slightly delayed dryline passage relative to what was modeled will most likely keep the wildfire risk here slightly lower than it was on Friday.

I know it's just griping, but our weather is absurd.

Can we not have a sustained period of 60s and 70s without launching straight from the deep freeze into the upper 80s? Looks like more hot temps by the end of the week and we are only in April. We have to be the high utility bill capital of the world.

By early June last year, we started that horrific heatwave and drought that didn't let up until late September. Please not again.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

Can we not have a sustained period of 60s and 70s without launching straight from the deep freeze into the upper 80s? Looks like more hot temps by the end of the week and we are only in April. We have to be the high utility bill capital of the world.

By early June last year, we started that horrific heatwave and drought that didn't let up until late September. Please not again.
    I don't think so! I've always maintained that we have any where from two to four weeks worth of perfect weather here in OK. Usually a week, maybe two max in each the transition to spring and then again the transition to winter. Of course, give or take. . .

I do agree that OK has some of the worst weather in the country in terms of extremes. I don't know if there has been weather studies done in major metropolitans that factor in a combination of extreme temperatures, wind, and precipitation (type & frequency)... But if one did exist - I would bet on Oklahoma City being high on the list as being overall "bad".

Oklahoma weather in summary is whatever regular weather occurrence (hot, cold, rain, snow) then make it the extreme version of each.

It would be interesting to see a map of America like those "Soda, Pop, or Coke" maps, but make it weather terms.

In all honesty, allergy indices are weighed in some QOL ratings, and always harm OKC and the rest of the state, rather unfairly, and don't provide apples to apples comparisons. I wish there was something Oklajoma could do about the weather and allergies here, but there just isn't. And it hurts Oklahoma City in QOL rankings quite often.

18. Default Re: April 2023 - General Weather Discussion

It's probably selective memory but I remember having a month to 6 weeks of 60s & 70s in spring and fall before it got really cold or really hot.

I’m on the subway about to hop out to 62 degrees Pete.

Come back to Cali

I know this is the smug Californian coming out in me...

But you know that one or two days in the fall and spring when it's warm and sunny during the day and pleasantly cool in the mornings and evenings with very little wind? Where absolutely everybody is outside and anyone that has a convertible drives around all day with the top down?

Well, it's like that 90-95% of the time in Southern California. And while I knew that from several trips, until I moved there I never fully comprehended the full greatness. It suddenly made sense why people are happy to pay a million dollars for a house most of us wouldn't live in. Turns out, you're never in it because the weather is nearly always absolutely gorgeous.

I knew that the weather would be the hardest part of my moving back and 6 years later, I'm still grouchy about it. It's like flying first class and then having to go back to coach.

21. Default Re: April 2023 - General Weather Discussion

But you know that one or two days in the fall and spring when it's warm and sunny during the day and pleasantly cool in the mornings and evenings with very little wind? Where absolutely everybody is outside and anyone that has a convertible drives around all day with the top down?

Well, it's like that 90-95% of the time in Southern California. And while I knew that from several trips, until I moved there I never fully comprehended the full greatness. It suddenly made sense why people are happy to pay a million dollars for a house most of us wouldn't live in. Turns out, you're never in it because the weather is nearly always absolutely gorgeous.

I knew that the weather would be the hardest part of my moving back and 6 years later, I'm still grouchy about it. It's like flying first class and then having to go back to coach.
    Yes. Anyone who says "why would anyone live in CA?!" haven't been there for a long time. It's wonderful weather. I do prefer Oklahoma's climate to deep cold winters of the north though.

The wind... That's the worst part. Always blowing unless you need it to blow.

I also moved to OK from CA and every time I go back for a visit, I seriously consider moving back there for the weather alone. I just get very grumpy when the weather makes it difficult to spend any extended amount of time outdoors--and that's a lot in OK. The problem for me is that the type of houses I'd like to live in cost $11 million out there (though, despite the common view of the price of housing in CA, you can get some VERY nice places for substantially less than that). Maybe I'll win the lottery.

Quote Originally Posted by OkiePoke View Post
    The wind... That's the worst part. Always blowing unless you need it to blow.
    Haha.... So true. Where is the wind on those impossibly hot days?

It's like our weather was specifically designed where one very uncomfortable element is always active without anything to counterbalance it.

25. Default Re: April 2023 - General Weather Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    Yes. Anyone who says "why would anyone live in CA?!" haven't been there for a long time. It's wonderful weather. I do prefer Oklahoma's climate to deep cold winters of the north though.
    An ex of mine grew up in Burbank and later her parents sold everything in the LA area and bought an ocean view house near Carlsbad. We went for a couple weeks in different times of the year every year. The attraction of California weather I completely understand. The traffic on the other hand.................

Thread Information