wilshire county line…I just drive thru quarter/golfball about half
    hour ago….FML.

Default Re: April 2023 - General Weather Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    Tornado Warning for this cell now. ~6:45pm
    Quote Originally Posted by gjl View Post
    Location?

Deer Creek

Edit: nevermind. Replied to the wrong thing.

Brief heavy rain east side of Stillwater as of 6:45 pm with only .12" of rain. No hail. Another storm appears to be coming.

New MD out discussing increased LLJ flow to enhance the tornado threat heading into sunset.

Norman needs to pay attention to this next storm coming in.

The storms today are just wild. From no watches all day, then a sudden watch, then BOOM! Storms everywhere. Holy cow.

Jeez that is a monster storm west of Norman.

Chickasha eastward into Norman and Purcell will have a major tornado threat over the next hour. Storm is clearly getting organized on radar, and parameters should continue to improve between now and sunset.

Tornado Warning for the Tinker cell. ~7:04pm

This Blanchard to Norman cell is getting ‘that look’.

Wall cloud is absolutely massive on chaser streams.

Storm is producing tornado on the southern rotation. Heading south of Norman proper and into Noble-Slaughterville area.

Norman will get the hailcore.

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    Anyone taking bets on the cap holding tomorrow?
    This aged well.

Quote Originally Posted by chssooner View Post
    This aged well.
    Good thing I’m not a gambler! But seriously the odds of the cap breaking were slim but there was just enough heating and upper level convergence. This time of year if anything develops it will likely be severe

This 'slight risk' day has produce more than the past two or three moderate risk days.

Storm coming back up from Moore to DT OKC is getting stronger. Flash flooding likely with this.

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    Good thing I’m not a gambler! But seriously the odds of the cap breaking were slim but there was just enough heating and upper level convergence. This time of year if anything develops it will likely be severe
    Just giving you a hard time! It sucks! I was in Warner, OK for work. Driving back to OKC this evening, it was insane to see!

Apparently SkyNews 9 got hit by debris and it looks like Jim Gardner had to put the bird down in a field. He is off radar. I hope he was able to make a controlled landing.

Big storm still putting out tornados heading toward Tecumseh area.

Large wedge tornado currently ~8:54pm.

NWS using language in recent MD that speculated 150+ mph winds when it was south of Norman. Which would put it EF-3 range.

If this storm continues, would not be surprised to see a Tornado Emergency for Shawnee.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    If this storm continues, would not be surprised to see a Tornado Emergency for Shawnee.
    Storm is weakening now with the other cell bumping into it. ~9:17pm

It is possible this original monster storm may be absorbed into the western one and a new single supercell will continue east.

Tornado damage in Shawnee unfortunately looking quite bad.

https://www.tiktok.com/@nurt_28/vide...49978354486574

Video of Jim Garner (sp?) talking with somebody at news 9 about his helicopter issues yesterday. Don’t know if he got hit with debris or hail. I would assume hail. Anyway, sounded like a stressful situation. Hopefully he made it to paul’s valley ok.

Today will be breezy N winds. Cooler Spring weather now through end of next week. We should also be catching weak systems along the flow while they move from NW to SE. This should aid in bringing rain to a lot of the drought-stricken areas of KS and OK.

The best part about this pattern shift... No more obnoxious south wind!

I will freely admit I didn't think the cap would break yesterday. I was running several errands around OKC and noting the air temps were around 78...so I thought, "no way..." Later, after I'd kinda stopped watching temps, I was downtown and it seemed "stickier," then I noticed air temp had shot up to about 86. I got out of one building, looked to the SW and saw the organized cumulus starting to tower up and thought "uh oh..."

Drive through about six miles of tiny hail in SW OKC last night and amazingly sustained no damage. I think I drove under the storm as it was ramping up, moving one way while I was driving another, and that gave me *just* enough time to escape the hail before it made anywhere near ping pong or golf ball size. I'm *very* fortunate.

[QUOTE=SoonerDave;1229672]I will freely admit I didn't think the cap would break yesterday. I was running several errands around OKC and noting the air temps were around 78...so I thought, "no way..." Later, after I'd kinda stopped watching temps, I was downtown and it seemed "stickier," then I noticed air temp had shot up to about 86. I got out of one building, looked to the SW and saw the organized cumulus starting to tower up and thought "uh oh..."

Drive through about six miles of tiny hail in SW OKC last night and amazingly sustained no damage. I think I drove under the storm as it was ramping up, moving one way while I was driving another, and that gave me *just* enough time to escape the hail before it made anywhere near ping pong or golf ball size. I'm *very* fortunate.

Same here. The NWS sent up a special weather balloon at 2pm and it showed a very weak cap with convection temperature of 86. I saw that we were already at 86 at 3pm with dewpoints in the lowers 60 and was like oh no this is not good I only had .17 over by outlet mall airport had .93 So much hail though at work near the airport though. Crazy how long it lasted.

Venice neighborhood only had pea-sized hail for about 5 minutes during the whole thing, so glad...

Thread Information