Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 49

Thread: New I-35 bridges and multimodal path

  1. #1

    Default New I-35 bridges and multimodal path

    This was discussed in the OKANA thread.

    ODOT plans to completely replace the two bridges and add a multi-modal (pedestrian and bike path) to the west side of the new southbound bridge.

    As you can see in the highlighted section, the design of the bridges allows for a large clear-span section in the middle to better accommodate rowing competitions.

    You can also see the plan for the bridges includes a large suspension element with LED lighting, which would provide a dramatic element just southeast of downtown. Would be similar but much larger than the Skydance Bridge.























  2. #2

    Default Re: New I-35 bridges and multimodal path

    It appears like the bridge would look something like this:





  3. #3

    Default Re: New I-35 bridges and multi-model path

    Thinking about this, do we have any suspension bridges in the OKC area?

    That was the original plan for Skydance but it changed to just a design element.

  4. #4

    Default Re: New I-35 bridges and multi-model path

    This would be a huge step in the right direction. As the wife and I travel one of things we take notice of is an areas bridges. Many cities take great pride in their bridges and overpasses and use them as a branding opportunity.

  5. #5

    Default Re: New I-35 bridges and multi-model path

    This would be the 3rd new pedestrian bridge over the river adding new connections to the river trail system:

    1. Existing railroad bridge near Wheeler
    2. I-35
    3. Okana

  6. #6

    Default Re: New I-35 bridges and multi-model path

    I presume this is not in the eight year plan yet ?

  7. #7

    Default Re: New I-35 bridges and multi-model path

    Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    I presume this is not in the eight year plan yet ?
    the op release from odot says it is and is in 2028

    the budget for that in the 8 year plan is 9 mil which would not be enough ..

  8. #8

    Default Re: New I-35 bridges and multi-model path

    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Thinking about this, do we have any suspension bridges in the OKC area?

    That was the original plan for Skydance but it changed to just a design element.
    are plate girder steel bean bridges suspension bridges??

    i thought they were not ..

  9. #9

    Default Re: New I-35 bridges and multi-model path

    Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    the op release from odot says it is and is in 2028

    the budget for that in the 8 year plan is 9 mil which would not be enough ..
    Great, thank you.

  10. #10

    Default Re: New I-35 bridges and multi-model path

    I hope they make it beautiful. I can envision something iconic like Dallas' Margaret Hunt bridge over the Trinity River -- I just think something grand like that would be beautiful and usher someone into the city after driving north through the ugly concrete jungle of I35 though south OKC. But something big and beautiful to add to the skyline like that would be incredible.

  11. #11

    Default Re: New I-35 bridges and multi-model path

    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    This would be the 3rd new pedestrian bridge over the river adding new connections to the river trail system:

    1. Existing railroad bridge near Wheeler
    2. I-35
    3. Okana
    Do you have a rendering of the Wheeler bridge?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    10,080
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: New I-35 bridges and multi-model path

    Thanks for the pics Pete and PluPlan for your persistent outlook on this project. Anxious to see more updates on the bridges and how this will improve travel infrastructure in our city.

  13. #13

    Default Re: New I-35 bridges and multi-model path

    Quote Originally Posted by jccouger View Post
    Do you have a rendering of the Wheeler bridge?
    See: OK River Pedestrian Bridge

  14. #14

    Default Re: New I-35 bridges and multi-model path

    Am I reading and interpreting the document incorrectly? It says the multi-modal path would be 10 feet and then it references the picture, which shows a path that is definitely wider than 10 feet if you include the area with the lights, seating, and lookout. It seems the 10 feet would only encompass that sidewalk portion.

  15. #15

    Default Re: New I-35 bridges and multi-model path

    Quote Originally Posted by king183 View Post
    Am I reading and interpreting the document incorrectly? It says the multi-modal path would be 10 feet and then it references the picture, which shows a path that is definitely wider than 10 feet if you include the area with the lights, seating, and lookout. It seems the 10 feet would only encompass that sidewalk portion.
    That's correct -- the path will be 10 feet but there will be a large viewing area as well.

  16. #16

    Default Re: New I-35 bridges and multi-model path

    "Marquis"???? Does anyone at ODOT proof this stuff before they put it out? It's "MARQUEE"

  17. #17
    HangryHippo Guest

    Default Re: New I-35 bridges and multi-model path

    Quote Originally Posted by rte66man View Post
    "Marquis"???? Does anyone at ODOT proof this stuff before they put it out? It's "MARQUEE"
    Right on brand for them.

  18. Default Re: New I-35 bridges and multi-model path

    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Thinking about this, do we have any suspension bridges in the OKC area?
    I don't believe there are any suspension or cable-stayed road bridges anywhere in the state.

    Based on the renderings, this looks to me like it would be what's called a tied arch bridge, somewhat similar to the Fort Pitt Bridge in Pittsburgh or the Hoan Bridge in Milwaukee.

  19. #19

    Default Re: New I-35 bridges and multi-model path

    Quote Originally Posted by Scott5114 View Post
    I don't believe there are any suspension or cable-stayed road bridges anywhere in the state.

    Based on the renderings, this looks to me like it would be what's called a tied arch bridge, somewhat similar to the Fort Pitt Bridge in Pittsburgh or the Hoan Bridge in Milwaukee.
    Yeah it won’t be cable stayed which was I was hoping for but for design purposes. I was hoping for a Margaret Hunt Hill Bridge type but perhaps the length isn’t long enough here. The costs may be closer to BS’s estimates if this is the design they’re going with but it’ll still be a very nice bridge for OKC. I just think they’re planning something big for the I-35/I-40 concurrent segment to separate the two roads and modify the interchanges.

  20. #20

    Default Re: New I-35 bridges and multi-model path

    Quote Originally Posted by Scott5114 View Post
    I don't believe there are any suspension or cable-stayed road bridges anywhere in the state.

    Based on the renderings, this looks to me like it would be what's called a tied arch bridge, somewhat similar to the Fort Pitt Bridge in Pittsburgh or the Hoan Bridge in Milwaukee.
    are those plate girder steel bean bridges?

  21. Default Re: New I-35 bridges and multi-model path

    Very nice and would definintely help with the rowing. If we can build a new arena for horses, we can build a bridge for rowing.

    What i'm not looking forward to? The mess it will cause while under construction. I-35 already needs more lanes all the way to Norman. This will become an "avoid at all costs" area for a few years.

  22. #22

    Default Re: New I-35 bridges and multi-model path

    Quote Originally Posted by rte66man View Post
    "Marquis"???? Does anyone at ODOT proof this stuff before they put it out? It's "MARQUEE"
    Jokes on you when a bunch of French nobility come and complete this project.

  23. #23

    Default Re: New I-35 bridges and multi-model path

    That would in fact make dallas jealous given their bridge is to nowhere.

  24. #24

    Default Re: New I-35 bridges and multi-model path

    Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    That would in fact make dallas jealous given their bridge is to nowhere.
    but what about Kansas City???

  25. #25

    Default Re: New I-35 bridges and multi-model path

    Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    but what about Kansas City???
    KC already has an iconic bridge over the Missouri

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Will Rogers Bike Path
    By Pete in forum Transportation
    Replies: 107
    Last Post: 01-29-2019, 08:17 AM
  2. New Bike Path?
    By Boomer3791 in forum General Civic Issues
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-02-2017, 09:22 AM
  3. The WRONG path....
    By Intrepid in forum Current Events & Open Topic
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-08-2005, 10:30 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO