Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I-240 Extension Canceled

Blog Entries

Default Re: I-240 Extension Canceled

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    I am not a fan of branding a loop the same name around cities with mile grids, as we then would have the freeway name and major N/S road name intersections unique as we do now, since they will typically have intersections on both sides of the city.

If interstate branding really helps, I would rather see something like:
    I-240 for the section south of I-40
    I-444 for Kilpatrick extending I-44 to the juncture with I-40
    I-435 for the Kickapoo turnpike allowing i-35/I-44 and i-35/I-40 eastside traffic to bypass OKC

might as well extend I-235 designation further north on 77 to the juncture with I-44
    There's already a I-444 in Tulsa

Quote Originally Posted by Swake View Post
    Triple digits get reused in different cities/regions, some have been like a dozen times, as the last 2 digits are taken from a route it branches off from. The leading digits are just to be unique among the local connections and indicate if it is either spur route or connects to another freeway at the other end (which may still be the one it originally diverged from or not).

3. Default Re: I-240 Extension Canceled

It is against the Interstate numbering rules to use a three-digit route number twice in the same state. (Personal preference would be to not reuse any numbers if we can help it—numbers starting with 8 are hardly ever used, so why not use those?)

I've also seen it pointed out that, at present, Tulsa only has I-44 to work with, so any x44 numbers in Oklahoma should probably be reserved for use there. It would probably be better to use only x35 or x40 numbers in the Oklahoma City area to avoid using one of Tulsa's limited pool of numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Swake View Post
    yep as an unsigned road .. 2.5 miles

5. Default Re: I-240 Extension Canceled

I forget which state senator it was, but someone in the early 2000's here was wanting to relabel 240 in OKC because there's another 240 somewhere else in the country and he felt there should only be one.
    Meh.

You could keep all kinds of different numbers and just put up some signs that call it the "OKC Loop" or whatever semi-creative thing a committee comes up with. It's just signage and means nothing. It's not actually a loop anyway. A true loop is continuous. This is a collection of road changes/exits/onramps. So again....meh.

Yep, I-240 in Memphis

Yeah, we usually use I-240 in Memphis when going to visit family in the Delta region. I keep up with the news in Memphis so I have to check twice to be sure I have my cities straight when something involving I-240 is mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Mesta Parker View Post
    Yep, I-240 in Memphis
    there is also one in Ashville NC

9. Default Re: I-240 Extension Canceled

Now instead of a continuous I-240 loop, we are getting I-344 and I-335.

https://kfor.com/news/local/multiple...VHp6WNPximUu9U

10. Default Re: I-240 Extension Canceled

i like but have a few proposals and questions

* Prop 1: Extend I-235 designation for Broadway Extension, from the current I-44 interchange up to just past I-344 Kilpatrick Turnpike (up until the freeway ends). 77 would continue into Edmond. Not sure why this wasn't already implemented.

* Prop 2: Add new Interstate 544 designation for Lake Hefner Parkway for the entire freeway section, it's extended if/as the freeway is extended north.

* Qu 1: Not sure why I-344 ends at Airport Road instead of continuing on to I-44 unless:
    1) there's a plan to extend I-344 further S from current 'end' towards/connecting to I-44 south of the airport
    2) they had it end at airport road since it's a toll road

* Qu 2: How will they badge the toll extensions into Cleveland County? I could see the extension going from I-335 Kickapoo Turnpike down to Purcell/I-35 being I-335 extension. But what about the E-W toll road along/near Indian Hills Rd, will it be Interstate badged and if so, what?

* Qu 3: Will OK-9 get upgraded and extended, and badged?

This is exciting and dire needed imo. Will Tulsa be adding interstate designations as well?
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post

* Prop 1: Extend I-235 designation for Broadway Extension, from the current I-44 interchange up to just past I-344 Kilpatrick Turnpike (up until the freeway ends). 77 would continue into Edmond. Not sure why this wasn't already implemented.

There are a couple reasons I could see for the delay. First is they just had not pushed much for it when the extended after upgrading the section north of I-44 to interstate standards. The other thing is on three digit interstate numbers, an even leading number implies that it connects to an interstate on both sides, so may be dependent on getting Kilpatrick an interstate designation to keep using the same number on that segment. (granted with the 3XX numbers, they do not seem to being strictly to odd leading numbers are a spur route, which does not connect to intestate network on other end)

12. Default Re: I-240 Extension Canceled

great points, thanks.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Thread Information