Widgets Magazine

Thread: Anton's Craft Kitchen

1. Far North Anton's Craft Kitchen

I have to recommend Anton's Craft Kitchen to everyone! They serve a Mediterranean influence, but with more American dishes, which results in flavor you cant get elsewhere in OKC! They actually spice everything! From the table salad to the desserts it was all great! I'm not a salad guy, but I had 2 servings of that table salad, it was weirdly good! We had the Eggplant dip and the garlic dip and wow, I also usually hate eggplant, but dang this was good! The flatbread is so fresh and good, i could have had a meal of just bread and dips. I had the chicken schnitzel which is a take on chicken parmesan (pictured). My table also had the boneless BBQ ribs and bacon, the big fish tacos, and the cherry chicken and everyone loved their meals. The owners are very sweet, like playing around, and even bounce future menu ideas off your table. The music was some Christmas instrumental music that I do hope they change out to something more lively, but even with it it just added to the charm. When we went on Sunday evening it was pretty empty, but this place really deserves to be full. Its just south of Quail Springs mall, makes for a great after movie meal! Judging by the other google reviews it seems like most people agree, and have shared similar experiences. Anyone here try it yet?! You should!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20230220_005004768.PORTRAIT_2.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	6.52 MB 
ID:	17892

Default Re: Anton's Craft Kitchen

Thank you for writing that. We drove over to the Nothing Bundt Cakes the other day and saw this place and wondered about it. Will certainly try it.

I’ve been to Anton’s several times, and it does not need to be OKC’s best kept secret. Everything I’ve had has been so good, especially the green olive chicken, and the chicken and lamb special. I would say they need to offer a couple more side options than the rice. It’s good, but gets a little old after you’ve been there five or six times.

This restaurant comes up quite often on a Facebook group I belong to. The comments have been 100% positive and closely mirror what the OP of this thread says. We really need to get over there to try it, since it's so close. For some reason, I had pictured it being far East of us, in Edmond, but QS is right down the road.

I had posted about them in another thread about new restaurants on Memorial:

The interior looks familiar. Was this location previously a Mexican restaurant?

7. Default Re: Anton's Craft Kitchen

Quote Originally Posted by Bowser214 View Post
    The interior looks familiar. Was this location previously a Mexican restaurant?
    Yes, it was a place called Mama Rita's. I ate there a couple times and the food was only average.

This place is very good, and there is hardly ever people in there. The owner greets everyone. Eggplant and Spinach Dip with the fresh pita was really good. Both of our entrees were good. Anton said starting this week, he is doing a 2 for $35 deal where you get two entrees and an appetizer or desert.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    Yes, it was a place called Mama Rita's. I ate there a couple times and the food was only average.
    Plus, the building spent most of its life as an Applebee's and they all have that same interior design.

Quote Originally Posted by corwin1968 View Post
    This restaurant comes up quite often on a Facebook group I belong to. The comments have been 100% positive and closely mirror what the OP of this thread says. We really need to get over there to try it, since it's so close. For some reason, I had pictured it being far East of us, in Edmond, but QS is right down the road.
    We ate at Anton's Kitchen a week or so and it totally lived up to the positive reviews.

I had the green olive and my wife had the Rose chicken and shrimp and both were amazing. The salad with homemade dressing was also delicious.

11. Default Re: Anton's Craft Kitchen

I ate here last night with a group of friends and we all really enjoyed our food.

We started with the Eggplant Dip, which was very tasty and served with 4 large pieces of flatbread. Our side salads were served family-style with a tangy house dressing similar to Olive Garden's. Two of us had the Rose's Chicken and Shrimp, which was cooked in a very tasty cream sauce. The others ordered the Garlic Lemon Chicken, which was really good and probably my favorite of the entrees, and Chicken Parmagiana, which was not the typical Italian-style dish but was still really tasty. We all had rice as the side and we all liked it.

The portions were adequate, as were the pours of wine and the cocktails. The service was prompt and Anton made sure to keep our table entertained. If you're looking for a solid, locally-owned restaurant with very good food and a pleasant atmosphere, I highly recommend this place. I hope he does enough business to stay around for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    I ate here last night with a group of friends and we all really enjoyed our food.

We started with the Eggplant Dip, which was very tasty and served with 4 large pieces of flatbread. Our side salads were served family-style with a tangy house dressing similar to Olive Garden's. Two of us had the Rose's Chicken and Shrimp, which was cooked in a very tasty cream sauce. The others ordered the Garlic Lemon Chicken, which was really good and probably my favorite of the entrees, and Chicken Parmagiana, which was not the typical Italian-style dish but was still really tasty. We all had rice as the side and we all liked it.

The portions were adequate, as were the pours of wine and the cocktails. The service was prompt and Anton made sure to keep our table entertained. If you're looking for a solid, locally-owned restaurant with very good food and a pleasant atmosphere, I highly recommend this place. I hope he does enough business to stay around for a long time.
    I recommend Anton's as often as possible and strongly encourage anyone who is a foodie and hasn't eaten there to give them a try. Postings on our Facebook neighborhood group pop up routinely, all saying the same thing that this place is amazing and everyone should try it and possibly some worry that he's not busy enough to keep going. I know when we went for lunch, there might have been two other tables. Anton recommended we let him bring us his choice of appetizer and said if we didn't like it, it was on the house. Of course, it was the eggplant dip and it was delicious. He mentioned that he had served 33 tables the night before and sold 42 orders of the dip. I've never tasted anything like it and would never have guessed it was eggplant.

13. Default Re: Anton's Craft Kitchen

I recommend Anton's as often as possible and strongly encourage anyone who is a foodie and hasn't eaten there to give them a try. Postings on our Facebook neighborhood group pop up routinely, all saying the same thing that this place is amazing and everyone should try it and possibly some worry that he's not busy enough to keep going. I know when we went for lunch, there might have been two other tables. Anton recommended we let him bring us his choice of appetizer and said if we didn't like it, it was on the house. Of course, it was the eggplant dip and it was delicious. He mentioned that he had served 33 tables the night before and sold 42 orders of the dip. I've never tasted anything like it and would never have guessed it was eggplant.
    He always seems to do the dip thing all the time, and I love it. I honestly would not have ordered eggplant dip on my own, but him opening with that line let me try it and I was blown away, now I get it every time. I will always buy it when I come here, it's just so good, the bread so fresh and perfect. I brought some friends here the other day for lunch and he said the same dip thing. He does a great job of recommending food, and to share it. The owner is a real character and a pure delight, definitely part of the whole vibe, its not the same without him. He's such a fun person, and I love all the food that I've tried, which is a lot since he often recommends to share entrees. the Craft Sausage is pretty dang great. I've had everything that ManAboutTown mentioned and can solidly recommend each of those items. I want to come here more often, I want to make my way through their menu. I'm not even a salad fan but this house salad is stupid good; the dressing is flavor sauce. I really hope this place is a success, but it always just 3-4 tables when I go. Please spread the word of this place!

After reading the reviews and posts on this site, we gave Anton’s a try tonight. It was fantastic! Not only was the food solid, the service was outstanding. Anton was incredibly polite and made sure we were happy with our dishes. We took all of his suggestions; we don’t like spicy foods, but he explained his spice wasn’t too bad. The restaurant wasn’t packed, but it wasn’t empty either and he ran it like you were in his personal dining room. He and his restaurant are gems to OKC.

Apparently he’s leaving for a few weeks tomorrow to see his family in Israel, but he’s made sure the restaurant will be in good hands.

Ate here last night. The food was really good! I think we'll be back but we're not close enough to make it a regular thing, probably.

I do think the vibe of the place is a little off? Maybe that's not the right phrase, but I get mixed signals from it. This isn't really a complaint, I enjoyed my experience, but I'm concerned at how long this place will stick around with the way it is now. The name does not convey a good sense of what the type of food they serve. "Craft Kitchen" to me sounds kind of generic American and the food they serve doesn't fit that label. The logo and the building also give me an "off brand Applebee's" kind of vibe which I think also does a disservice to the food. On the Memorial corridor with a lot of different generic American restaurants, they don't really stand out and this seems to result in a lack of business potentially.

I'm not now and have never been in the restaurant business, but I have eaten at a few restaurants in my time (big Holiday Inn Express vibes, I know). I think this place would be better served going in one of two directions: either find a smaller, more colorful "hole in the wall" type of spot where they can really emphasize their individuality and embrace the sort of "spot where everyone knows your name" vibe they seem to want to have going on. Their current spot is too big.

Or, I think the food and presentation could potentially hold up in a slightly more elevated environment if they were able and wanting to pull that off.

HangryHippo Guest

I wonder if they could move to Nichols Hills or Midtown? Maybe in one of the soon to be empty Louie’s or the Cafe do Brazil spaces?

"Entrepreneur and Yelp partnered to find the top 15 mom and pop restaurants in the U.S. from among hundreds."

Anton's Craft Kitchen was number six in the nation on this rating.

https://kfor.com/news/these-are-yelp...eVhYDmEDw-qY3g

18. Default Re: Anton's Craft Kitchen

"Entrepreneur and Yelp partnered to find the top 15 mom and pop restaurants in the U.S. from among hundreds."

Anton's Craft Kitchen was number six in the nation on this rating.

https://kfor.com/news/these-are-yelp...eVhYDmEDw-qY3g
    I'm so happy for this! I hope they get a great boost of business from it!

I finally stopped by tonight, and asked about that. He did say there is a boost, but that he got a lot of business beforehand. I'm glad it's seemingly working out for him so far. I'll premise this with saying that I will be back to try other things.

I was surprised to find him waiting tables instead of cooking, and he did mention he was training somebody. The fact that the person who's name was on the front was actually there I really like and tend to only find it in small towns/here. I ordered the smoked eggplant dip at his recommendation. Even offered half portion and if I didn't like it he wouldn't charge me. The bread was perfect and the dip was the highlight of my meal. I think to date it's at least the 2nd best thing I've had in Oklahoma City all year? I asked him for the other half.
    It comes with a salad, and the dressing is really good. I probably won't get it again cause I believe the lettuce is iceberg and I tend to think it's a waste of calories/stomach real estate.
    My main dish was Rose's chicken and shrimp. The chicken and shrimp were cooked perfectly and the flavor was great. The rice it comes with was under everything and I asked what kind of rice comes with it. Anton did mention long grain but it wasn't long by the time it got to me. I think it'd be better on the side.
    My dessert was tiramisu and it's the first tiramisu I've had since coming back from Italy. Anecdotally what I enjoy about tiramisu in Italy is that you don't get a lot of lady finger. I got mostly cream, coffee, and liqueur. While there isn't any lady finger at Anton's, it's replaced with cake and I thought too much of it at that. He suggested next time I try the piano cake.
    I got the unsweet peach tea for my drink and it was my second favorite thing from the dip. Everything is made in house.
    Anton is a great front of house guy, and made me feel incredibly welcome. Even in jest (I think?) mentioned if I wanted any of the items that I originally was planning to try that I'd have to come to his house.

Something I think is interesting is that I ended up coming here because of the great feedback here. My process for picking restaurants isn't too complicated. I look at the rating, the menu, and pictures taken. While everything is advertised to be made in house, and I'd believe it based on taste, the pictures didn't quite convey that to me. The menu also doesn't contain anything that spoke to me, which is why it's been so long before I ate here. I picked a few items I was interested in, and Anton picked Rose's chicken and shrimp based on my selections.
    I've told Anton everything I've mentioned here, and he based on my feedback he did mention he doesn't do social media which wouldn't affect my thoughts on the place cause of my aforementioned process.
    I look forward to trying other things, but unsure when I'll be back.

Great review with a lot of detail. I had not been here yet for the same menu reason but based on all the great reviews we have been seeing, we are going to give it a try. I am glad they are getting a boost of business and seem to be doing well. Always like to see locally owned places do well and thrive.

21. Default Re: Anton's Craft Kitchen

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Vu View Post
    I finally stopped by tonight, and asked about that. He did say there is a boost, but that he got a lot of business beforehand. I'm glad it's seemingly working out for him so far. I'll premise this with saying that I will be back to try other things.

I was surprised to find him waiting tables instead of cooking, and he did mention he was training somebody. The fact that the person who's name was on the front was actually there I really like and tend to only find it in small towns/here. I ordered the smoked eggplant dip at his recommendation. Even offered half portion and if I didn't like it he wouldn't charge me. The bread was perfect and the dip was the highlight of my meal. I think to date it's at least the 2nd best thing I've had in Oklahoma City all year? I asked him for the other half.
    It comes with a salad, and the dressing is really good. I probably won't get it again cause I believe the lettuce is iceberg and I tend to think it's a waste of calories/stomach real estate.
    My main dish was Rose's chicken and shrimp. The chicken and shrimp were cooked perfectly and the flavor was great. The rice it comes with was under everything and I asked what kind of rice comes with it. Anton did mention long grain but it wasn't long by the time it got to me. I think it'd be better on the side.
    My dessert was tiramisu and it's the first tiramisu I've had since coming back from Italy. Anecdotally what I enjoy about tiramisu in Italy is that you don't get a lot of lady finger. I got mostly cream, coffee, and liqueur. While there isn't any lady finger at Anton's, it's replaced with cake and I thought too much of it at that. He suggested next time I try the piano cake.
    I got the unsweet peach tea for my drink and it was my second favorite thing from the dip. Everything is made in house.
    Anton is a great front of house guy, and made me feel incredibly welcome. Even in jest (I think?) mentioned if I wanted any of the items that I originally was planning to try that I'd have to come to his house.

Something I think is interesting is that I ended up coming here because of the great feedback here. My process for picking restaurants isn't too complicated. I look at the rating, the menu, and pictures taken. While everything is advertised to be made in house, and I'd believe it based on taste, the pictures didn't quite convey that to me. The menu also doesn't contain anything that spoke to me, which is why it's been so long before I ate here. I picked a few items I was interested in, and Anton picked Rose's chicken and shrimp based on my selections.
    I've told Anton everything I've mentioned here, and he based on my feedback he did mention he doesn't do social media which wouldn't affect my thoughts on the place cause of my aforementioned process.
    I look forward to trying other things, but unsure when I'll be back.
    I love the detailed review!
    The three times I've gone Anton is always the one serving. I never would have tried eggplant dip, but with his offer, you can't say no and its just so FREAKING GOOD. I find it hard to want to show up solo because I want the dip, and the salad and entree, but I'd fill up on the dip alone if i can eat the whole plate.

It's odd cause it was my second pick after the grape leaves I saw on pete's menu upload. If he doesn't suggest another main I'd go sausage and dip.

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkasa View Post
    Ate here last night. The food was really good! I think we'll be back but we're not close enough to make it a regular thing, probably.

I do think the vibe of the place is a little off? Maybe that's not the right phrase, but I get mixed signals from it. This isn't really a complaint, I enjoyed my experience, but I'm concerned at how long this place will stick around with the way it is now. The name does not convey a good sense of what the type of food they serve. "Craft Kitchen" to me sounds kind of generic American and the food they serve doesn't fit that label. The logo and the building also give me an "off brand Applebee's" kind of vibe which I think also does a disservice to the food. On the Memorial corridor with a lot of different generic American restaurants, they don't really stand out and this seems to result in a lack of business potentially.

I'm not now and have never been in the restaurant business, but I have eaten at a few restaurants in my time (big Holiday Inn Express vibes, I know). I think this place would be better served going in one of two directions: either find a smaller, more colorful "hole in the wall" type of spot where they can really emphasize their individuality and embrace the sort of "spot where everyone knows your name" vibe they seem to want to have going on. Their current spot is too big.

Or, I think the food and presentation could potentially hold up in a slightly more elevated environment if they were able and wanting to pull that off.
    I went to Anton's for the first time today and especially agree with what I bolded above. I would think he needs something smaller. To be honest, I was a little thrown off when I told him what I wanted and he said he would make me something. The person I was with let him make whatever and bring it over, along with the eggplant and spinach dip and the salad. I feel like, if he is going to just bring things out for people that he thinks they would like, why have a menu at all? Several times he tried to push me to let him make me something. If that was the thought coming in the door, I would be fine with it, but when I get a menu and have options, I would think ordering off the menu would make sense. I think he wants to be a nonesuch kind of place, but it's an old Applebees. To multiple people's points, if they were in Paseo, Plaza, Midtown, Uptown or even west village in about 3,000 sf, I think it would be a great fit.

Also, I did a dive into Oklahoma County Assessor and it looks like the property is owned by Anton's Investments LLC and was purchased in July of 2022. I would guess he had some money tucked away and bought the building. Looking at the Oklahoma County Clerk site, there is no mortgage on the property or at least not one that is being reported. So I would guess he paid cash for the building and started up a restaurant to pay the bills. So that explains the location.

Blog Entries

Finally got around to trying Anton’s this weekend and had a very good experience. All the food items we had were top notch - as noted above the eggplant dip and bread are just about a meal. He brought it out without ordering and said if we didn’t enjoy it, no charge. We enjoyed. Entrees were fried catfish, the “Green Olive”, and another chicken dish (unsure of the name but one he suggested). I would gladly order any of them again.

As someone mentioned, Anton is all over the place - he is very nice, seems totally invested in everyone enjoying his food. I’d say the only downside is the really large size of the restaurant. There were maybe 4-5 groups there and I it felt sorta cavernous. So if there is one negative it would be the atmosphere. But that will not keep us from going back.

One side note - the cocktails are a little unusual. First off the prices are low. One of us had a Club Special and it was tasty but came out green in color (not sure what that was). Another had the Mule and it was very good. Of course, Anton is the mixologist!

I had the catfish when I was last there. It's breaded very well, and tasted great. I don't think it pairs well with mashed potatoes though. I'd like to see it paired with fried shrimp, or don't fry the fish and put it on a bed of rice or cream based pasta with lemon. I've had a lot of the menu by now and would have everything again.

Thread Information