Widgets Magazine

Thread: 2023 City Council elections

Default 2023 City Council elections

Press release:

Incumbents for Wards 2, 6 and 8 win re-election to Oklahoma City Council; runoff set for Ward 5
    02/15/2023

Ward 2 Councilperson James Cooper, Ward 6 Councilwoman JoBeth Hamon and Ward 8 Councilman Mark Stonecipher were re-elected in the Feb. 14 Oklahoma City Council general election.

A runoff election for an open seat in Ward 5 between Thuan Hieu Nguyen and Matt Hinkle is scheduled for April 4.

All election results are unofficial until certified by the Oklahoma County Election Board.

The Councilpeople will begin four-year terms when they take their oath of office before the May 2 Council meeting.

The nonpartisan Oklahoma City Council has nine members: the Mayor, who is elected citywide, and one member from each of Oklahoma City’s eight Wards. They serve part-time at the head of the City’s Council-Manager form of government. The Mayor’s annual salary is $24,000, and each Council member’s annual salary is $12,000.

The next Council election is in Wards 1, 3, 4, and 7 in 2025. The next mayoral election is in 2026. See a Ward map at okc.gov/WardMap.

Default Re: 2023 City Council elections

Glad Cooper and Hamon won, but absolutely pathetic turnout. Ward 2 has ~83,000 - 86,000 people (not sure how many are registered voters), but only ~4000 turned out, pretty sure it's the same for the other wards.

^

It was because nothing else was on the ballot other than a primary for County Commissioner.

As is my custom, I walked to my polling place and absolutely nobody was there except the two volunteers.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ^

It was because nothing else was on the ballot other than a primary for County Commissioner.

As is my custom, I walked to my polling place and absolutely nobody was there except the two volunteers.
    County Clerk, wasn't it? I was surprised that our polling place was as busy as it was (Open Arms church on 28th/Penn) - had a steady stream of people basically one in, one out, one in, one out, etc.

I always vote in every election, everywhere that I've lived, for decades, and I don't understand the apathy, especially at the local level.

This was my first opportunity to vote for OKC City Council as I'd lived in Moore previously. You can count me in as one of the 4000 who voted in Ward 2. Happy to participate!

I was voter number 4 at my polling place, but that was at around 7:30 in the morning. My councilperson is Cooper and I was pleased to see his win was quite a blow out.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    I was voter number 4 at my polling place, but that was at around 7:30 in the morning. My councilperson is Cooper and I was pleased to see his win was quite a blow out.
    How do you guys tell which voter you are in a primary election like this, unless you’re a super early voter as David was here? The number on the machine is the number of ballots put in the machine, so, in this election, one voter could put in two or just one. When I voted in Ward 6 in late afternoon, the machine read 119, which means I could have been voter 119 or 59 (given the results from my precinct, I’m betting I was a lot closer to 59).

EDIT: I must have been hallucinating because I thought several people were citing their voter number. Or maybe I was looking at another thread elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by king183 View Post
    How do you guys tell which voter you are in a primary election like this, unless you’re a super early voter as David was here? The number on the machine is the number of ballots put in the machine, so, in this election, one voter could put in two or just one. When I voted in Ward 6 in late afternoon, the machine read 119, which means I could have been voter 119 or 59 (given the results from my precinct, I’m betting I was a lot closer to 59).

EDIT: I must have been hallucinating because I thought several people were citing their voter number. Or maybe I was looking at another thread elsewhere.
    I think every voter in Ward 6, where I also vote, got 1 City and 1 County ballot. And I think it is fair to assume the vast majority of those who take the effort to vote in such a small election would fill out both ballots. I'm guessing you were voter number 60.

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    I think every voter in Ward 6, where I also vote, got 1 City and 1 County ballot. And I think it is fair to assume the vast majority of those who take the effort to vote in such a small election would fill out both ballots. I'm guessing you were voter number 60.
    Yeah, it’s possible every voter got two ballots, but I only got one because I declined to vote in the Democratic primary as a registered Independent, and so I only cast one ballot (the city election)

Quote Originally Posted by king183 View Post
    ... I declined to vote in the Democratic primary as a registered Independent, ...)
    Interesting, I've been I for 40 years but I vote in every D primary I can (in a few different states I've lived in).

Im kind of surprised about Hamon's win. Marek had some name recognition and lots of money, and it wasnt like she was that much different than Hamon. Shes just a little left of center, not all the way to the left. Now Hamon will remain on the council and continue to excuse and dismiss people who break the law. Thats my biggest issue with her. As mentioned above, such a pathetic voter turnout.

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    Im kind of surprised about Hamon's win. Marek had some name recognition and lots of money, and it wasnt like she was that much different than Hamon. Shes just a little left of center, not all the way to the left. Now Hamon will remain on the council and continue to excuse and dismiss people who break the law. Thats my biggest issue with her. As mentioned above, such a pathetic voter turnout.
    I don’t think her win should be surprising at all. The idiots at OKC United or whatever C4 it was literally stole their dark money donors’ money. The ads they ran against JoBeth were terrible and totally backfired. Whatever advantage Marek Cornett may have had was totally undermined by a half-witted mail campaign written by people who thought they were targeting voters in Mustang or Edmond.

The 'not affiliated with Marek Cornett's campaign' ads that were being run against JoBeth made Marek look terrible.

Thread Information