Widgets Magazine

Thread: 2018: Oklahoma: 40 year anniversary of Sirloin Stockade murders

Blog Entries

Default 2018: Oklahoma: 40 year anniversary of Sirloin Stockade murders

Sirloin Stockade murders

KFOR: The crime that changed Oklahoma: 40 year anniversary of Sirloin Stockade murders (2018)

https://kfor.com/news/the-crime-that...ckade-murders/

City Residents Glad Mass Murder Site Demolished: https://www.oklahoman.com/story/news...d/62604764007/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Dale_Stafford

Default Re: 2018: Oklahoma: 40 year anniversary of Sirloin Stockade murders

It makes me think when people chew about the good old days, and you can have your kids out nowadays! Laughable.

OKC was having the same number of murders with one third of the actual population, during these good ol' days.

^

It's a completely false narrative driven by over-romanticizing the past and politicians and big business trying to scare people into thinking things are way worse now than when they grew up in the 60s, 70s, and 80s. In truth, violent crime has been steadily trending downward since the early 90s. And the huge percentage of what remains is among people who know each other (gangs, fights, fits of passion); there is precious little threat of random crime although you'd never know it from watching the news or reading social media.

And it's a million times easier to catch a badguy these days with DNA evidence, national databases and security cameras every few feet. Cars are infinitely safer as well. When is the last time a serial killer continued on their rampage for year upon year, let alone decades like many of the most prolific of the recent past? It's things like that that hardly get mentioned because it's not click-worthy news and there is no one profiting from promoting such things.

The same people that all walked to school or rode the bus every single day of their school lives when things were way worse have been scared into driving their children both ways every day. So much so, school buses are almost relegated to history.

Quote Originally Posted by amocore View Post
    It makes me think when people chew about the good old days, and you can have your kids out nowadays! Laughable.

OKC was having the same number of murders with one third of the actual population, during these good ol' days.
    As someone born in 1955 and grew up in the 60's early 70's, I never think of the number of murders committed as defining what were the good old days. As someone who lived through those days and today it was a much simpler life back then. And I wouldn't trade growing up in those years for any of the later years I've lived through.

Thread Information