Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: February 2023 - General Weather Discussion

Default Re: February 2023 - General Weather Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by floyd the barber View Post
    So who is responsible for activating tornado sirens? Is it the National Weather Service or is it up to county jurisdictions?
    It varies from state to state, but generally the NWS does not have direct control over outdoor warning sirens. Depending on the location it can be a mix of city and/or county government. Here in OKC, I'm almost positive they're controlled by the city's office of emergency management, located near the Zoo on north MLK Blvd.

I’m at Kilpatrick and Wilshire. I don’t know if it was the wind or what but the sirens didn’t seem as loud as they do on Saturday….or any other time. It seems like some weren’t sounding..

3. Default Re: February 2023 - General Weather Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by kukblue1 View Post
    We need to start a March Tread ASAP. Thursday is looking better and better. Might be a bit further south but say Pauls Valley down to Lawton, down to Wichita falls over to Dallas. I know the SPC highlighted Eastern Texas but system is slower and maybe a bit more north.
    "better and better" to whom? Define "better and better."

yes in oklahoma it is a mix of City and County Emergency Managers who control the sirens.

Quote Originally Posted by NikonNurse View Post
    I’m at Kilpatrick and Wilshire. I don’t know if it was the wind or what but the sirens didn’t seem as loud as they do on Saturday….or any other time. It seems like some weren’t sounding..
    My understanding is OKC only activates sirens if the sirens are within the boundary of the warned area - more or less. They don't control sirens individually for severe weather threats - instead they activate them in groups, so if you do hear the sirens going, you're either in or very near to the warned area. The city has a map on their site that shows the area that each group covers here: https://data.okc.gov/portal/page/vie...ctors&view=map

Thursday risk a tad more east. Pauls Valley, Duncan, Bowie Tx East. DFW under the gun. Watch for so snow or Ice in the metro 3am on Friday morning.

Quote Originally Posted by kukblue1 View Post
    Thursday risk a tad more east. Pauls Valley, Duncan, Bowie Tx East. DFW under the gun. Watch for so snow or Ice in the metro 3am on Friday morning.
    Yea, the setup for the Dallas / Carthage corridor is looking particularly nasty.

Thread Information