Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bed Bath And Beyond

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Large Chain Bed Bath And Beyond

It doesn't look like Bed Bath and Beyond is going to survive another year. Maybe Bed Bath and Gone?

It would be another case of a retailer failing to adapt to an online world.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/26/busin...bts/index.html

Default Re: Bed Bath And Beyond

I'm a kitchen supply geek but their stores are atrocious. Way too small and crowded for the amount of merchandise they carry.

Quote Originally Posted by corwin1968 View Post
    I'm a kitchen supply geek but their stores are atrocious. Way too small and crowded for the amount of merchandise they carry.
    Their latest remodel of the 63rd/May store seemed to take their inventory down a few notches, so there's not nearly as much in the store. But the selection of things they kept wasn't great (only one or two brands of sheets (their own, of course), etc.), and they were actually out of a lot of things when we last went in. So yeah, still not great management of inventory in the physical store.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Their latest remodel of the 63rd/May store seemed to take their inventory down a few notches, so there's not nearly as much in the store. But the selection of things they kept wasn't great (only one or two brands of sheets (their own, of course), etc.), and they were actually out of a lot of things when we last went in. So yeah, still not great management of inventory in the physical store.
    I was there right before xmas and was shocked at how little diversity of inventory they carried. They like to use coupons heavily but the list of exclusions on the coupons make them difficult to use. They carry a lot of Ugg products though which my family likes which is why I was there. All Ugg products were excluded on coupons.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    I was there right before xmas and was shocked at how little diversity of inventory they carried. They like to use coupons heavily but the list of exclusions on the coupons make them difficult to use. They carry a lot of Ugg products though which my family likes which is why I was there. All Ugg products were excluded on coupons.
    This is the biggest issue I have with them. Anything you'd actually want to buy there is excluded from the coupons. I will say they gave me a heck of a deal on a mispriced Miele vacuum a few months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by corwin1968 View Post
    Exactly. Would much rather get our knives and pots at sur la tablé or culinary kitchen.

Closing 87 more stores but none in Oklahoma

https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/01/busin...ist/index.html

Its also ridiculously overpriced imo. I can go to target and get the same items for about the same quality and at a better price.

Quote Originally Posted by dheinz44 View Post
    Its also ridiculously overpriced imo. I can go to target and get the same items for about the same quality and at a better price.
    My wife and I got very little from wedding registry there in 2015. Got a lot of things from our Target registry though.

Bed bath and Beyond is closing their Moore and Norman stores as well as two Tulsa locations . https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/rcna69570

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuy View Post
    Bed bath and Beyond is closing their Moore and Norman stores as well as two Tulsa locations . https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/rcna69570
    I saw yesterday they added 150 stores to be closed in addition to the 87 previously announced a week ago but couldn't find the list of stores added.

Man, will any stores survive?

Quote Originally Posted by chssooner View Post
    L.L. Bean, Tiffany, and your corner nail salon will outlive the next 2-3 generations.
    If you mean, will BBB stores survive? Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by chssooner View Post
    It's their own fault for changing what the stores were pre pandemic. I went to one post pandemic and decided there was no reason to ever go back to one.

^^^ Probably not.

I was a fairly loyal Linens'n'Things customer (over by the Belle Isle wallymart area) when they closed up and went gone bye.

I then became a quite loyal Bed Bath & Beyond customer for 10 or 12 years. BB&B had good stock, good choices, decent service, the 20% off coupons were great, I spent a ton of money with them.

They're probably wondering why they're in a hand basket and where they're going, but things change, and they don't have the inventory to sell, Amazong is picking up more customers, etc, many other factors, but I am not optimistic that BB&B will survive.

That's a shame.

Moore, Norman, and two stores in Tulsa on the list.

17. Default Re: Bed Bath And Beyond

Does anyone actually go to BBB anymore? I mean, they were overpriced and had you so crammed in there. They never really made a push to make online a practical thing either.

I'm not going to miss the one in Moore, but i'll go see if they have some things on sale as they close.

When people shop TJMaxx/Homegoods/Marshals and get much better prices on a lot ot times better quality then why go there?? Add in Amazon and other large on line shopping with much better selection, then again, why go there? I went a few times lately and they did not have what I needed.

19. Default Re: Bed Bath And Beyond

So i went to the one in Moore on Sunday. It's at 20-40% of rates right now. I suspect that they never really restocked the store before it was officially announced that it was closing. There was already about 1/2 the stock in the store that I would normally have expected in a BBB, if not less. And what was there, was less quality. As said above, it seems they migrated to mostly their in-store brand of things and it's cheap. Honestly, i can get nicer stuff for the same price at Target or Walmart these days.

I put a few things in my basket in the search of a good deal, but put most of them back. If they can't be returned, i dont want to be stuck with them at on only 20% off. $300 nonstick nice cooksets are just an OK deal, but it's not Calphalon so I passed. Heck, Marshalls has Calphalon pans for $20 regularly. Had a comforter, but when we went to go try to get some curtains and rods to match, all they had were the 1/4" cheap ones. So back the comforter went on the shelf too.

So I did end up walking out with a 16 place setting of Oneida flatware. And that was a pretty good deal for a quality product, but it was basically all gone after i got my two sets.

I may go back in a few weeks to see if that cookware is on 50%+ off and still there, but otherwise, meh. It was a pretty disappointing first couple of weeks of closing sales. Honestly, i saw more activity as KMarts were closing around town. At least those stores had stock in them when they were closing. BBB (at least the Moore one) had of have been already thin. So it's a "meh" deal.

On a side note, this is how Operation Rolling Ghetto (the natural course of urban sprawl) gets started. When these big box stores close it leaves the shopping centers without an anchor tennant and very seldom do they get back filled because any potential new tennants just go to the new shopping center a few miles away. Then it becomes Halloween stores, close out stores, and eventually Goodwills. In 15 years repeat the process down the street.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    On a side note, this is how Operation Rolling Ghetto (the natural course of urban sprawl) gets started. When these big box stores close it leaves the shopping centers without an anchor tennant and very seldom do they get back filled because any potential new tennants just go to the new shopping center a few miles away. Then it becomes Halloween stores, close out stores, and eventually Goodwills. In 15 years repeat the process down the street.
    This is encouraging for the planned Big Box Center at NW178th and Portland, but you're not wrong.

22. Default Re: Bed Bath And Beyond

BBB isn't a big box store though. Kmart was a big box store. They're the same size as a Borders/Barnes and Noble/etc. Typical strip mall slot. They are in absolutely no danger of not being able to refill these spots with something that is probably going to be more successful.

Honestly, i think OKC and the burbs have done pretty well in being able to demo or re-fill even those big stores like the old Walmarts and Kmarts. They have either been converted, split up, or razed for something new all over town.

And honestly, if you look at the Goodwill page, most of those stores these days are in just a typical strip mall location. But i would hardly consider BBB an "anchor" tenant anywhere they are.

I haven't kept up with bbb so I don't know if ownership has changed or leadership/ceo has changed but I went into one a few years back and it was not the same store I remembered.

In the 90s and early 2000s it had decent stuff, the design and layout seemed to be well thought out and items arranged in an appealing manner. After having not been in several years I was surprised to find it looking overstuffed with a lot of what appeared to be junk items. It's as if someone took the the crap you see at the checkout area of stores and made a whole business out of it. There looked to be no rhyme or reason to how the layout was done. Things just jammed in here and there just because.

Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    I haven't kept up with bbb so I don't know if ownership has changed or leadership/ceo has changed but I went into one a few years back and it was not the same store I remembered.

In the 90s and early 2000s it had decent stuff, the design and layout seemed to be well thought out and items arranged in an appealing manner. After having not been in several years I was surprised to find it looking overstuffed with a lot of what appeared to be junk items. It's as if someone took the the crap you see at the checkout area of stores and made a whole business out of it. There looked to be no rhyme or reason to how the layout was done. Things just jammed in here and there just because.
    Always struck me as the place you go to find the "As seen on TV" merchandise

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    Always struck me as the place you go to find the "As seen on TV" merchandise
    True. But they did have some nicer stuff in there as well, between all of the Shark Tank gimmicks. I remember that was my first step up while climbing the economic ladder after stabilizing from moving out. Moving from Walmart and Target household items (bedding, dish sets, silverware etc.) to stuff we could afford from Bed Bath and Beyond.

Thread Information