Widgets Magazine

Thread: Driving down I-35 in Edmond

Default Driving down I-35 in Edmond

Lots of potholes, cracks etc. Bad ones. Didn't that stretch get replaced only like five or so years ago? Why's it so bad already?

Default Re: Driving down I-35 in Edmond

Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    Lots of potholes, cracks etc. Bad ones. Didn't that stretch get replaced only like five or so years ago? Why's it so bad already?
    Sure it was Edmond?

I agree, it is bad from Kilpatrick to the 2nd street (north and south bound). Although it is worse from I-44 to Kilpatrick.

4. Default Re: Driving down I-35 in Edmond

I have written ODOT consistently about the condition of this stretch in the last several months. I have not heard back. Usually they are good about responding to issues via email, but it has been crickets on this one. There are some potholes that are really bad. From my experience, it is the center southbound lane from about 2nd to I-44W that is really bad. They did some resurfacing in certain areas a few years back, but nothing comprehensive. I just wish they would come and do some patch jobs for the time being.

5. Default Re: Driving down I-35 in Edmond

You have to get on the 8 year plan for anything other than the pothole patrol to come see you. And I guarantee there are plenty of other areas far worse off. So i wouldn't hold my breathe here.

They do evaluate the areas from requests, but it has to get in line. Otherwise, it's patch for now. They certainly aren't going to go resurface a 3 mile stretch of each side for millions of dollars, just on the basis on email complaints. I dont mean that to sound snippy, it's just that the expectation of what is going to happen based on the issue, doesn't seem to line up.

Some of the potholes could cause heavy front end damage. Same issue are occurring at I35-I44 interchange. Huge chunks of concrete missing.

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    You have to get on the 8 year plan for anything other than the pothole patrol to come see you. And I guarantee there are plenty of other areas far worse off. So i wouldn't hold my breathe here.

They do evaluate the areas from requests, but it has to get in line. Otherwise, it's patch for now. They certainly aren't going to go resurface a 3 mile stretch of each side for millions of dollars, just on the basis on email complaints. I dont mean that to sound snippy, it's just that the expectation of what is going to happen based on the issue, doesn't seem to line up.
    Oh I'm not holding my breath for anything to get done. And even if it does, I know that it'll be torn up for a dozen years, cause tons of traffic issues, cost $64 trillion and then open up only to be shut down to one lane 3 months later to continue work for another 5 years.

Seriously though, my real issue was that I thought I remembered that stretch being worked on just a few years ago. It shouldn't be this bad already. Unless I'm misremembering.

I don't know how many times in the last year I've complained to others in my car about that stretch from 2nd to the Kilpatrick. Its God awful especially the middle lane driving South.

It also depends on how close plans are to other projects in line that would alleviate the issue. For example only because I drive it everyday, Broadway through Edmond from about Memorial north all the way to 2nd street is as bad as the lunar surface. There's tiny patchwork pothole-fills here and there, some just holed still there, but they've got that large resurfacing project coming.

Now if there's a hole in the highway that's big enough to blow out tires or what not, it does need to be reported. I hit one going northbound on Broadway at 15th and I thought I was going to have a flat and I know I need alignment -- it was unexpectedly jarring. I emailed the Public Affairs office from their website and about two days later it was filled. Who knows if it was filled due to my email, but I know that office forwards issues like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Irishman23 View Post
    I don't know how many times in the last year I've complained to others in my car about that stretch from 2nd to the Kilpatrick. Its God awful especially the middle lane driving South.
    I get on at Memorial going south every day to I-44 and I can apply mascara with no smudges so the holes must not be that bad...

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Hausfrau View Post
    I get on at Memorial going south every day to I-44 and I can apply mascara with no smudges so the holes must not be that bad...
    The area we are talking about is mostly North of where you get on at.

12. Default Re: Driving down I-35 in Edmond

If its north of Memorial, you're really talking Edmond as much as you're talking state. That's a city/state partnership. That means you might get it done faster since Edmond would pay for part of it. So I would spend as much time talking to the city as the state. I bet you'll find Edmond public works patching potholes there rather than ODOT.

I guess I dont have the same sensitivity you all do either because when i've been on 35, my Pilot doesn't experience these things. And when im going that way, im going all the way up to Waterloo.

If its north of Memorial, you're really talking Edmond as much as you're talking state. That's a city/state partnership. That means you might get it done faster since Edmond would pay for part of it. So I would spend as much time talking to the city as the state. I bet you'll find Edmond public works patching potholes there rather than ODOT.

I guess I dont have the same sensitivity you all do either because when i've been on 35, my Pilot doesn't experience these things. And when im going that way, im going all the way up to Waterloo.
    Same here. I commute on this route just about daily and actually have thought it was quite smooth especially after they did that diamond grind project some time ago and especially since they did the mill & overlay from 2nd up to Waterloo. Though maybe I'm skewed since my suburban usually absorbs potholes LOL

The potholes are so bad--or have been so bad in recent years that I had a pothole cause a tire blowout not so long ago. Probably would have been bad had I not been on run-flats.

This reminds me I should really put run flats on my car, a 1976 Chevrolet Monza-Wankel

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Hausfrau View Post
    This reminds me I should really put run flats on my car, a 1976 Chevrolet Monza-Wankel
    I actually had a 1975 Monza with the optional V8.

Thread Information