Widgets Magazine

Thread: Pruett's Food - NW Ex and Hefner Parkway

Default Pruett's Food - NW Ex and Hefner Parkway

I remember this being a Mega Mart and a Buy For Less. How many things has this store been and when was it built?

2. Default Re: Pruett's Food on NW Expwy and I-235

NW Expressway and I-44 / Hefner Parkway?

Default Re: Pruett's Food on NW Expwy and I-235

It used to be a price chopper I believe for a bit then something called Baker's.

That's actually Lake Hefner Parkway/Hwy 74, and of course NW HWY/EXPWY. Runs up to Crescent and beyond.

235 is the Broadway Extension/Hwy 77, runs from basically downtown OKC into Edmond and beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuy View Post
    It used to be a price chopper I believe for a bit then something called Baker's.
    Bakers was on NW Highway and Rockwell where Petco and Aldi's are now.

6. Default Re: Pruett's Food on NW Expwy and I-235

Quote Originally Posted by gjl View Post
    Bakers was on NW Highway and Rockwell where Petco and Aldi's are now.
    I know my memory isn't what it used to be. But I've lived off of Hefner & Rockwell for around 23 years and I don't remember that ever being a Bakers. But I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    I know my memory isn't what it used to be. But I've lived off of Hefner & Rockwell for around 23 years and I don't remember that ever being a Bakers. But I could be wrong.
    Baker's was at both NW Expressway and Portland and NW Expressway and Rockwell.

Baker's was a division of Fleming and after the latter acquired 3 local Megamarket stores (NW Ex & Portland, 23rd & Penn and 4721 SE 15th in Del City) and the IGA at NW Ex and Rockwell in 1992, the four were operated as Baker's until all four were sold to local operators in 2000.

8. Default Re: Pruett's Food on NW Expwy and I-235

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

Baker's was a division of Fleming and after the latter acquired 3 local Megamarket stores (NW Ex & Portland, 23rd & Penn and 4721 SE 15th in Del City) and the IGA at NW Ex and Rockwell, the four were operated as Baker's.
    Ok. As I said my memory isn't what it used to be. I remember the Bakers/Fleming connection. They were a client of my BIL's. Any idea how long it was Bakers?

^

I believe from 1992 to 2000.

Yeah sorry, I meant to put Hefner Pkwy instead. I noticed too late and couldn't edit the title.

11. Default Re: Pruett's Food on NW Expwy and I-235

^

I believe from 1992 to 2000.
    Ok. So they were out about the time we moved there so I wouldn't have paid attention before then. I feel better now.

So now that we have it straight which building I'm talking about, any answers on the OP?

It was originally McCartney's.

Is Pruett’s still running its ban on alcohol?

They are and they also have seem to greatly reduce their bakery and deli sections

16. Default Re: Pruett's Food on NW Expwy and I-235

Quote Originally Posted by April in the Plaza View Post
    Is Pruett’s still running its ban on alcohol?
    Another reason I will never shop there. Winco, Sprouts, and Crest are much better than Pruett's, IMHO.

17. Default Re: Pruett's Food on NW Expwy and I-235

Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    So now that we have it straight which building I'm talking about, any answers on the OP?
    I don't remember it being anything before Mega Mart. I'm pretty sure it was Buy For Less starting in the mid 2000s.

I don't remember it being anything before Mega Mart. I'm pretty sure it was Buy For Less starting in the mid 2000s.
    Thanks for the info. I remember Mega being the first occupant as well but I didn't know if that was correct.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuy View Post
    They are and they also have seem to greatly reduce their bakery and deli sections
    I was in there the other day and they have begun a total store remodel. They've started with th sout side of the building so the deli is completely gone right now.

Also, I don't think they ever banned alcohol. They just don't carry it. I read an interview in the Oklahoman (I think?) when Pruett's took over the BFL and Uptown stores. He said he and his wife often have wine with dinner so they're not against it. He said because they started in small towns in Oklahoma that they would take business away from the small quick stops and liquor stores and since the people who ran those stores were also their friends and neighbors, they decided not to compete with them. It's just something that they've carried over through the years. It's not a moral judgment on you if you drink alcohol. It's just how they choose to do business.

Oh, and he also said that because a lot of the cashiers are under age that they would have to wait for a manager if alcohol came through their line which slowed things down for the other customers.

Pete had details on the remodel in this thread.

https://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=46347

Baker's was a division of Fleming and after the latter acquired 3 local Megamarket stores (NW Ex & Portland, 23rd & Penn and 4721 SE 15th in Del City) and the IGA at NW Ex and Rockwell in 1992, the four were operated as Baker's until all four were sold to local operators in 2000.
    I don't remember the name of the one at NW HWY & Rockwell, but my wedding cake came from there in 1986. It was a very nice store, with nice bakery, etc. A friend of mine worked there and made the wedding cake. Geez that was a long time ago.

22. Default Re: Pruett's Food on NW Expwy and I-235

Quote Originally Posted by Ward View Post
    I don't remember the name of the one at NW HWY & Rockwell, but my wedding cake came from there in 1986. It was a very nice store, with nice bakery, etc. A friend of mine worked there and made the wedding cake. Geez that was a long time ago.
    Was it Consumer's IGA?

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    Was it Consumer's IGA?
    Wasn't it originally called McCartney's supermarket in early 1980's?

Quote Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
    Wasn't it originally called McCartney's supermarket in early 1980's?
    No, the McCartney's was where the Aldi, liquor store, and Petco are on the NE corner strip center. The MegaMarket was on the SE corner strip center

Quote Originally Posted by rte66man View Post
    No, the McCartney's was where the Aldi, liquor store, and Petco are on the NE corner strip center. The MegaMarket was on the SE corner strip center
    The MegaMarket was at 3501 NW Expressway at Portland not at Rockwell and NW Expressway.

https://www.oklahoman.com/story/news...e/62439833007/

Thread Information