Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Broadway Extension: Our Autobahn.

Default Broadway Extension: Our Autobahn.

In the past few weeks it seems speed on Broadway Extension is out of control. I was cruising along at 70mph but many drivers were exceeding 80 mph. Wild, wild west.

Default Re: Broadway Extension: Our Autobahn.

The posted 60MPH is incredibly too slow for that highway, but more times than not there are police there enforcing.

They must have thought they were on Lake Hefner Raceway

Quote Originally Posted by MagzOK View Post
    The posted 60MPH is incredibly too slow for that highway, but more times than not there are police there enforcing.
    Exactly this. 60mph is a joke for this interstate, but the highway patrol makes tons of money off speeders.

You can almost count on an unmarked cop or motorcycle cop to be sitting in the inside shoulder near Britton.
    That is one stretch of highway I never exceed limit on. Not heavy traffic except rush hour so they get people really easily

Quote Originally Posted by bucktalk View Post
    In the past few weeks it seems speed on Broadway Extension is out of control. I was cruising along at 70mph but many drivers were exceeding 80 mph. Wild, wild west.
    I have noticed the same thing! I even mentioned it to my husband. I make that drive five days a week from 1-44 and in the past week people have decided that 80+ is the speed limit. I was doing 70ish in the middle lane and people were tailgating and passing me like crazy. What has changed?

Quote Originally Posted by ksearls View Post
    I have noticed the same thing! I even mentioned it to my husband. I make that drive five days a week from 1-44 and in the past week people have decided that 80+ is the speed limit. I was doing 70ish in the middle lane and people were tailgating and passing me like crazy. What has changed?
    I think with newer cars the faster speeds just don't seem that fast. And people always in a hurry. Why you see so many people blowing through yellow switching to red lights.

Quote Originally Posted by gjl View Post
    Why you see so many people blowing through yellow switching to red lights.
    People run yellow/red lights in this city all the time because the number of lights along any given route from point A to point B is of the upmost ridiculousness. I've thought for many years the traffic planning, or lack thereof, in this entire metro is extremely conducive to road rage with an insane amount of traffic signals, slow speed limits, lack of right turn lanes, people not passing and just riding in the lanes in tandem holding up traffic behind them, etc.

9. Default Re: Broadway Extension: Our Autobahn.

Try I-35 south to Dallas.... I'm usually doing about 80 in the right lane and have people blow by me like I'm standing still.

10. Default Re: Broadway Extension: Our Autobahn.

Quote Originally Posted by ksearls View Post
    What has changed?
    Attitude mostly.

People run yellow/red lights in this city all the time because the number of lights along any given route from point A to point B is of the upmost ridiculousness. I've thought for many years the traffic planning, or lack thereof, in this entire metro is extremely conducive to road rage with an insane amount of traffic signals, slow speed limits, lack of right turn lanes, people not passing and just riding in the lanes in tandem holding up traffic behind them, etc.
    I would be all for converting a large amount of intersections in the metro to roundabouts. Other than that I'm not sure how you could reduce the amount of traffic signals. 4 way stops maybe?

12. Default Re: Broadway Extension: Our Autobahn.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    Attitude mostly.
    There is a lot of study going on about what changed post Covid. One thing is speeding. I read a few studies on the average speed on the highway has gone up 10 MPH with about a 7 percent increase in car crashes. Everyone has noticed changes on the road. It is scary driving out there!

Quote Originally Posted by GoGators View Post
    I would be all for converting a large amount of intersections in the metro to roundabouts. Other than that I'm not sure how you could reduce the amount of traffic signals. 4 way stops maybe?
    With proper planning, you wouldn't necessarily have to reduce the number of traffic signals, but you could still make it seem like there are fewer.

When planned out well, traffic signals improve the flow of traffic. By communicating between signals, each major intersection should be able to predict the traffic level and adjust timings accordingly. It too often seems, however, that many of the signals here are set on pure timers once triggered (i.e., if a car (or cars) approaches intersection in Lane A, give Lane A a green light for 10 seconds starting in 5 seconds) instead of looking at the flow of traffic at nearby signals and finding a timeslot in which to switch signals while minimizing impact on traffic.

There was a time back in the 70s if you grove the speed limit (35) on Classen from the Classen Circle south to past 10th street you would make every green light except 1. I forget which one it was but I drove that and did it many times. We used to do it on purpose just to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by bucktalk View Post
    As long as you stay out of the left lane, we won't have a problem.

I’m typically left in the dust when doing 75 or 80 on the Kilpatrick at peak times.

Quote Originally Posted by poe View Post
    I’m typically left in the dust when doing 75 or 80 on the Kilpatrick at peak times.
    That’s how I feel on hefner parkway. You can be going 10-15 over and there will be some guy in a big raised pickup flashing lights at you behind you to get out of their way

Quote Originally Posted by DowntownMan View Post
    That’s how I feel on hefner parkway. You can be going 10-15 over and there will be some guy in a big raised pickup flashing lights at you behind you to get out of their way
    If you're in the passing lane and not actively passing someone, you're not in the right in this situation.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    If you're in the passing lane and not actively passing someone, you're not in the right in this situation.
    Does not give rights to the speeders who try to intimidate others and insist they drive dangerously and against the law. It does not legalize tailgating at high speeds. The law isn’t designed to create a free runway for those that ignore traffic laws and common sense safety.

20. Default Re: Broadway Extension: Our Autobahn.

Quote Originally Posted by Oklahoma Statutes §47-11-309
    5. Upon a roadway which is divided into four or more lanes, a vehicle shall not impede the normal flow of traffic by driving in the left lane; provided, however, this paragraph shall not prohibit driving in a lane other than the right-hand lane when traffic conditions or flow, or both, or road configuration, such as the potential of merging traffic, require the use of lanes other than the right-hand lane to maintain safe traffic conditions.
    Note that the law says nothing about the speeds of the vehicles involved. If someone comes up behind you doing 10,000 mph, you are legally obliged to move out of the way under this statute or you can get a ticket for impeding the speeder!
    Last edited by Scott5114; 01-18-2023 at 02:38 AM. Reason: clarify

I mean... I am up for turning all inside lanes on interstates/highways with 3+ lanes into autobahn style lanes. For me, I commute between Yukon and Del City, having a no speed limit lane on the inside would be great and I wouldn't get caught up in all of the local traffic along I-40.

But if you want to make roads safer than build out fast and efficient mass transit and I will take the train. I say this as tongue in cheek as I know I will never see anything similar to the old Interurban lines we once had, which after reading up on some the history, I believe that system would be greatly appreciated if it were still operational today.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Scott5114 View Post
    Note that the law says nothing about the speeds of the vehicles involved. If someone comes up behind you doing 10,000 mph, you are legally obliged to move out of the way under this statute or you can get a ticket for impeding the speeder!
    Read - impede NORMAL flow of traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Read - impede NORMAL flow of traffic.
    It's not about right or wrong. Just get out of the way and you won't have any problems. It's really not that difficult, and unless you're in a police vehicle you are not a legal traffic enforcer. You're only bringing on possible road rage upon yourself and your family in your vehicle. There are some super crazy people out there that will screw with you especially on the roads. The left lane is for passing, it's law. Personally I find myself riding that left lane but as I see someone coming up I'll gladly move over, especially on rural interstates because generally that left lane can be smoother. And I do so well in advance before someone needs to start flashing their lights and what not. If someone wants to blow by me at 95 then so be it. I really don't care, heck they may be trying to get to the hospital or some other emergency. But nonetheless, I'm not an enforcer and I'm not going to risk trouble to me and my family. It's just the thing to do anyway.

It's not about right or wrong. Just get out of the way and you won't have any problems. It's really not that difficult, and unless you're in a police vehicle you are not a legal traffic enforcer. You're only bringing on possible road rage upon yourself and your family in your vehicle. There are some super crazy people out there that will screw with you especially on the roads. The left lane is for passing, it's law. Personally I find myself riding that left lane but as I see someone coming up I'll gladly move over, especially on rural interstates because generally that left lane can be smoother. And I do so well in advance before someone needs to start flashing their lights and what not. If someone wants to blow by me at 95 then so be it. I really don't care, heck they may be trying to get to the hospital or some other emergency. But nonetheless, I'm not an enforcer and I'm not going to risk trouble to me and my family. It's just the thing to do anyway.
    Yep it’s not worth it. A friend of mine was killed last summer in a road rage accident. He was shot dead while driving his car home from work. I drive fast, but if someone wants to go faster I get over, too many whackos out there.

25. Default Re: Broadway Extension: Our Autobahn.

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    Correct, and while i do not disagree with the intent of what everyone is saying about what's legal, it's also not your job to sit in the left land to dictate what others should be doing. That causes an issue as well, that you have control over. If someone wants by, get out of the way. Let the officers handle if they get a ticket for their behavior or not. Drives me bonkers when, like many of you, i'm going 70-75 and someone rides my butt because they want to go 85. But it's not my job to get them all riled up and road ragey by not moving either.

And the signs say, do not impede left lane. There's no "normal" on them. Flow of traffic is considered by officers should they so choose. But if you're sitting there holding up a line of 5 cars, well your "being right" may earn YOU the ticket for creating the issue. So there's no high-horse there.

Thread Information