Widgets Magazine

Thread: Broadway Extension: Our Autobahn.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Broadway Extension: Our Autobahn.

It is a big deal. I get going with the flow of traffic, and in some places, you do need to speed to be safer and not obstruct the flow of traffic. But Broadway Extension has a LOT of people going the speed limit or slower, and the typical traffic flows don't support folks going 85 safely (most of the time). You'll see the speeders swerving through traffic and pulling off dangerous multilane switches and last minute maneuvers. I love speed as much as anyone (even PP believe it or not!). In my younger days I had plenty of tickets and even got my license suspended a time or two. I current drive a fairly fast car (a brand-new challenger scat) and I won't lie... there are places and roads where I really get on it and push my speed a bit much (although I've been lucky ticket wise). All that being said, a few points about Broadway extension and speed in general:

Folks REALLY underestimate the difference between 65 and 85. While only about 20% faster, in terms of physics it's almost twice the energy/inertia that has to be displaced in an impact. Beyond that, while I may be driving a car with top end Brembo brakes, speed rated tires, and a suspension/handling system built for those speeds, the vast majority of cars are not, and that's assuming the cars on the highways are maintained with fresh tires, good breaks, good suspension, proper alignment, etc., (in a state without vehicle inspections of any kind).

The last study I saw was that speeding is the cause of about a 1/3 of all traffic fatalities. The numbers IIRC were over 12,000 people killed in 2021 due to speeding alone. For comparison, about 13,000 were killed by drunk drivers in the same year. We're so willing to condemn drunk driving, rightfully so, but folks want to act like speeding is no big deal, when those speeders are just as dangerous and are killing people at near the same pace as drunk drivers.

2. Default Re: Broadway Extension: Our Autobahn.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    It is a big deal. I get going with the flow of traffic, and in some places, you do need to speed to be safer and not obstruct the flow of traffic. But Broadway Extension has a LOT of people going the speed limit or slower, and the typical traffic flows don't support folks going 85 safely (most of the time). You'll see the speeders swerving through traffic and pulling off dangerous multilane switches and last minute maneuvers. I love speed as much as anyone (even PP believe it or not!). In my younger days I had plenty of tickets and even got my license suspended a time or two. I current drive a fairly fast car (a brand-new challenger scat) and I won't lie... there are places and roads where I really get on it and push my speed a bit much (although I've been lucky ticket wise). All that being said, a few points about Broadway extension and speed in general:

Folks REALLY underestimate the difference between 65 and 85. While only about 20% faster, in terms of physics it's almost twice the energy/inertia that has to be displaced in an impact. Beyond that, while I may be driving a car with top end Brembo brakes, speed rated tires, and a suspension/handling system built for those speeds, the vast majority of cars are not, and that's assuming the cars on the highways are maintained with fresh tires, good breaks, good suspension, proper alignment, etc., (in a state without vehicle inspections of any kind).

The last study I saw was that speeding is the cause of about a 1/3 of all traffic fatalities. The numbers IIRC were over 12,000 people killed in 2021 due to speeding alone. For comparison, about 13,000 were killed by drunk drivers in the same year. We're so willing to condemn drunk driving, rightfully so, but folks want to act like speeding is no big deal, when those speeders are just as dangerous and are killing people at near the same pace as drunk drivers.
    I definitely speed but you are correct, we should all be careful.

It’s not a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    It’s not a big deal.
    until you kill someone, and the estate is not satisfied with your state minimum policy limits.

Quote Originally Posted by April in the Plaza View Post
    until you kill someone, and the estate is not satisfied with your state minimum policy limits.
    No one is killing anyone and it’s actually dangerous to drive slower in many cases just stay the f@ck in the right lane if you’re so scared of big bad speeders.

I’m gonna continue to speed because speed limits are ridiculous. They aren’t reasonable. What we need is stricter requirements for driving to get your license. Autobahns in Germany are among the safest roads in the world. Speed in America is just used a revenue generating tool. The speed limit on the Broadway Ext. could easily be 70-75 at least 65. OKC freeways have the most absurd speed limits. Even in traffic packed LA most limits here are 65MPH with traffic moving around 75-80 when the flow allows for it. I commuted to work around 95 today with zero issues. I was following the flow and I would’ve gone faster if I could. I’m not flying through weaving in and around cars like a maniac.

It’s not a big deal.
    I've known habitual drunk drivers who say the same thing.

I've known habitual drunk drivers who say the same thing.
    Drunk driving equals speeding lol okay

In terms of annual fatalities yeah, they're pretty close.

From the NHTSA - https://www.nhtsa.gov/risky-driving/speeding

Speeding endangers everyone on the road: In 2021, speeding killed 12,330 people. We all know the frustrations of modern life and juggling a busy schedule, but speed limits are put in place to protect all road users. Learn about the dangers of speeding and why faster doesn’t mean safer.
    and also the NHTSA - https://www.nhtsa.gov/risky-driving/drunk-driving

Every day, about 37 people in the United States die in drunk-driving crashes — that's one person every 39 minutes. In 2021, 13,384 people died in alcohol-impaired driving traffic deaths — a 14% increase from 2020. These deaths were all preventable.
    About 37 vs about 34 people a day. I guess you can decide that 3 is significantly worse, but IMO they're about the same. They're both deliberate acts that result in thousands of preventable deaths a year.

In terms of annual fatalities yeah, they're pretty close.

From the NHTSA - https://www.nhtsa.gov/risky-driving/speeding

and also the NHTSA - https://www.nhtsa.gov/risky-driving/drunk-driving

About 37 vs about 34 people a day. I guess you can decide that 3 is significantly worse, but IMO they're about the same. They're both deliberate acts that result in thousands of preventable deaths a year.
    They’re contributing factors not always the cause of the crash. Lots of people just don’t know how to drive defensively or at all. That’s the problem. Not speeding. I can understand enforcing speed limits on local roads but not freeways.

OT question.. you drive electric vehicles mostly, right? Do all the connectivity gadgets talk to your insurance providers about your driving habits? If they do and you're still going 100MPH, no problem, and haven't seen massive hikes on your insurance bill, I would guess that'd be as good an answer as any as to how actually dangerous to yourself and others this behavior is.

I do know triple digits in Oklahoma = pretty much an automatic reckless driving charge, which has to be equivalent or not quite as bad as a DUI for insurance purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    OT question.. you drive electric vehicles mostly, right? Do all the connectivity gadgets talk to your insurance providers about your driving habits? If they do and you're still going 100MPH, no problem, and haven't seen massive hikes on your insurance bill, I would guess that'd be as good an answer as any as to how actually dangerous to yourself and others this behavior is.

I do know triple digits in Oklahoma = pretty much an automatic reckless driving charge, which has to be equivalent or not quite as bad as a DUI for insurance purposes.
    Well I’ve been pulled over for triple digits before in Oklahoma and though I have been cited with a reckless once all the other times I’ve been let go with less than that. Still got a tickets though. Now granted those times were at little to no traffic and that was probably factored in. Had I been racing(which I used to do when I young) it’d be worse. Probably an arrest. I have family in law enforcement.

I don’t let insurance companies monitor my driving habits. I also have only been involved in a single at fault wreck when I was going below the speed limit on a turn in inclement conditions when I was 20 and hit someone. I’m now 30 and haven’t been involved in anything else knock on wood.

I’m not going to sit here and argue about advocating for driving over 100. I do it when I feel it’s safe. Like it or don’t I couldn’t care less. Bitch about how dangerous I am I don’t care. Cars are inherently dangerous and there’s a lot of other drivers out there who abide by the speed limit you should worry about than me.

Yes I have a lot of tickets on my record. I have no animosity towards police officers. They are doing their job. I also don’t fault insurance even though I think they’re scams on some level I can see why they charge me higher rates and premiums than others who have better driving records than I do. FWIW I drove without a license for years.

Well I’ve been pulled over for triple digits before in Oklahoma and though I have been cited with a reckless once all the other times I’ve been let go with less than that. Still got a tickets though. Now granted those times were at little to no traffic and that was probably factored in. Had I been racing(which I used to do when I young) it’d be worse. Probably an arrest. I have family in law enforcement.

I don’t let insurance companies monitor my driving habits. I also have only been involved in a single at fault wreck when I was going below the speed limit on a turn in inclement conditions when I was 20 and hit someone. I’m now 30 and haven’t been involved in anything else knock on wood.

I’m not going to sit here and argue about advocating for driving over 100. I do it when I feel it’s safe. Like it or don’t I couldn’t care less. Bitch about how dangerous I am I don’t care. Cars are inherently dangerous and there’s a lot of other drivers out there who abide by the speed limit you should worry about than me.

Yes I have a lot of tickets on my record. I have no animosity towards police officers. They are doing their job. I also don’t fault insurance even though I think they’re scams on some level I can see why they charge me higher rates and premiums than others who have better driving records than I do. FWIW I drove without a license for years.
    Genuine curiosity/no judgment. I'm being good serving a deferred sentence on a 97 in a 65 ticket I got between Lawton and Chickasha. I was told triple digits = a reckless in most Oklahoma jurisdictions and the Troopers who pulled me over had a good long discussion as to whether to ring me up for reckless.. But in the middle of nowhere, say, driving from Beaver to Guymon, 100MPH + is the flow of traffic.

Folks REALLY underestimate the difference between 65 and 85. While only about 20% faster,
    quick math says that it is over 30% faster .. (30.8% )

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    quick math says that it is over 30% faster .. (30.8% )
    You're right but that doesn't really change my point.

Thread Information