Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Broadway Extension: Our Autobahn.

Default Re: Broadway Extension: Our Autobahn.

Quote Originally Posted by MagzOK View Post
    Absolutely, it's awful. I'll get a red light on one of these neighborhood lights when there's not even anyone pulling up the opposite way. Just jams up rush hour traffic. Edmond traffic lights are SO DUMB and just encourage red light running and road rage.
    I hear ya.

A few months ago I was on Broadway at about 5:45am and got a red light at 9th. I looked to see which direction had the green light. The light for cars coming out of the Autozone parking lot was green. For a long time. But Autozone isn't open at 5:45am and there were no cars going that direction. In fact, there was only one other car on the road at that time. And it was going the opposite direction of me so we should've had green lights.

Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    I hear ya.

A few months ago I was on Broadway at about 5:45am and got a red light at 9th. I looked to see which direction had the green light. The light for cars coming out of the Autozone parking lot was green. For a long time. But Autozone isn't open at 5:45am and there were no cars going that direction. In fact, there was only one other car on the road at that time. And it was going the opposite direction of me so we should've had green lights.
    I've had the exact same thing happen. Also the Home Depot light AND the Academy light! ARGH!

3. Default Re: Broadway Extension: Our Autobahn.

I live downtown but work up north between Mercy and Quail Springs, so Broadway Extension is part of my daily commute. I generally try to leave early to arrive at the office by 7 a.m.

Today, as usual, I pulled onto the BE and put my cruise control on 65. The speed limit is 60, mind you.

I passed 2 or 3 cars on my way north but was passed by 25 to 30 cars. I estimate their average speed was 75 mph. A couple were going faster than that, I would estimate at least 80-85 mph. And this is at 6:45 a.m.!

I was going to 100 in a 65 today and was passed by cars and I passed others. Big deal. OKC drivers as extremely slow. 85 is nothing. Come to LA or head south to Dallas and go 80. It’ll feel like you’re the a hole for holding everyone else up lol

It is a big deal. I get going with the flow of traffic, and in some places, you do need to speed to be safer and not obstruct the flow of traffic. But Broadway Extension has a LOT of people going the speed limit or slower, and the typical traffic flows don't support folks going 85 safely (most of the time). You'll see the speeders swerving through traffic and pulling off dangerous multilane switches and last minute maneuvers. I love speed as much as anyone (even PP believe it or not!). In my younger days I had plenty of tickets and even got my license suspended a time or two. I current drive a fairly fast car (a brand-new challenger scat) and I won't lie... there are places and roads where I really get on it and push my speed a bit much (although I've been lucky ticket wise). All that being said, a few points about Broadway extension and speed in general:

Folks REALLY underestimate the difference between 65 and 85. While only about 20% faster, in terms of physics it's almost twice the energy/inertia that has to be displaced in an impact. Beyond that, while I may be driving a car with top end Brembo brakes, speed rated tires, and a suspension/handling system built for those speeds, the vast majority of cars are not, and that's assuming the cars on the highways are maintained with fresh tires, good breaks, good suspension, proper alignment, etc., (in a state without vehicle inspections of any kind).

The last study I saw was that speeding is the cause of about a 1/3 of all traffic fatalities. The numbers IIRC were over 12,000 people killed in 2021 due to speeding alone. For comparison, about 13,000 were killed by drunk drivers in the same year. We're so willing to condemn drunk driving, rightfully so, but folks want to act like speeding is no big deal, when those speeders are just as dangerous and are killing people at near the same pace as drunk drivers.

6. Default Re: Broadway Extension: Our Autobahn.

I was heading south on Broadway Extension at 10:30 this morning where everyone was going the speed limit and slower even with light traffic. It felt so slow. Heading back north at 11:30, MOST cars were going 90-115 around me. People rushing to get to Edmond at lunchtime I suppose… it’s way too unpredictable haha.

7. Default Re: Broadway Extension: Our Autobahn.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    It is a big deal. I get going with the flow of traffic, and in some places, you do need to speed to be safer and not obstruct the flow of traffic. But Broadway Extension has a LOT of people going the speed limit or slower, and the typical traffic flows don't support folks going 85 safely (most of the time). You'll see the speeders swerving through traffic and pulling off dangerous multilane switches and last minute maneuvers. I love speed as much as anyone (even PP believe it or not!). In my younger days I had plenty of tickets and even got my license suspended a time or two. I current drive a fairly fast car (a brand-new challenger scat) and I won't lie... there are places and roads where I really get on it and push my speed a bit much (although I've been lucky ticket wise). All that being said, a few points about Broadway extension and speed in general:

Folks REALLY underestimate the difference between 65 and 85. While only about 20% faster, in terms of physics it's almost twice the energy/inertia that has to be displaced in an impact. Beyond that, while I may be driving a car with top end Brembo brakes, speed rated tires, and a suspension/handling system built for those speeds, the vast majority of cars are not, and that's assuming the cars on the highways are maintained with fresh tires, good breaks, good suspension, proper alignment, etc., (in a state without vehicle inspections of any kind).

The last study I saw was that speeding is the cause of about a 1/3 of all traffic fatalities. The numbers IIRC were over 12,000 people killed in 2021 due to speeding alone. For comparison, about 13,000 were killed by drunk drivers in the same year. We're so willing to condemn drunk driving, rightfully so, but folks want to act like speeding is no big deal, when those speeders are just as dangerous and are killing people at near the same pace as drunk drivers.
    I definitely speed but you are correct, we should all be careful.

It’s not a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    It’s not a big deal.
    until you kill someone, and the estate is not satisfied with your state minimum policy limits.

Folks REALLY underestimate the difference between 65 and 85. While only about 20% faster,
    quick math says that it is over 30% faster .. (30.8% )

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    quick math says that it is over 30% faster .. (30.8% )
    You're right but that doesn't really change my point.

It’s not a big deal.
    I've known habitual drunk drivers who say the same thing.

I've known habitual drunk drivers who say the same thing.
    Drunk driving equals speeding lol okay

Quote Originally Posted by April in the Plaza View Post
    until you kill someone, and the estate is not satisfied with your state minimum policy limits.
    No one is killing anyone and it’s actually dangerous to drive slower in many cases just stay the f@ck in the right lane if you’re so scared of big bad speeders.

I’m gonna continue to speed because speed limits are ridiculous. They aren’t reasonable. What we need is stricter requirements for driving to get your license. Autobahns in Germany are among the safest roads in the world. Speed in America is just used a revenue generating tool. The speed limit on the Broadway Ext. could easily be 70-75 at least 65. OKC freeways have the most absurd speed limits. Even in traffic packed LA most limits here are 65MPH with traffic moving around 75-80 when the flow allows for it. I commuted to work around 95 today with zero issues. I was following the flow and I would’ve gone faster if I could. I’m not flying through weaving in and around cars like a maniac.

Drunk driving equals speeding lol okay
    In terms of annual fatalities yeah, they're pretty close.

From the NHTSA - https://www.nhtsa.gov/risky-driving/speeding

Speeding endangers everyone on the road: In 2021, speeding killed 12,330 people. We all know the frustrations of modern life and juggling a busy schedule, but speed limits are put in place to protect all road users. Learn about the dangers of speeding and why faster doesn’t mean safer.
    and also the NHTSA - https://www.nhtsa.gov/risky-driving/drunk-driving

Every day, about 37 people in the United States die in drunk-driving crashes — that's one person every 39 minutes. In 2021, 13,384 people died in alcohol-impaired driving traffic deaths — a 14% increase from 2020. These deaths were all preventable.
    About 37 vs about 34 people a day. I guess you can decide that 3 is significantly worse, but IMO they're about the same. They're both deliberate acts that result in thousands of preventable deaths a year.

In terms of annual fatalities yeah, they're pretty close.

From the NHTSA - https://www.nhtsa.gov/risky-driving/speeding

and also the NHTSA - https://www.nhtsa.gov/risky-driving/drunk-driving

About 37 vs about 34 people a day. I guess you can decide that 3 is significantly worse, but IMO they're about the same. They're both deliberate acts that result in thousands of preventable deaths a year.
    They’re contributing factors not always the cause of the crash. Lots of people just don’t know how to drive defensively or at all. That’s the problem. Not speeding. I can understand enforcing speed limits on local roads but not freeways.

Quote Originally Posted by OkiePoke View Post
    Big proponent of round-abouts!
    I love two lane roundabouts since they work better by being more efficient than 4 way stop signs. You don't have to stop every time. I wouldn't mind moving up to 4-lane roundabout. But it might be too advanced and scary for others who hate two lane roundabouts.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    I love two lane roundabouts since they work better by being more efficient than 4 way stop signs. You don't have to stop every time. I wouldn't mind moving up to 4-lane roundabout. But it might be too advanced and scary for others who hate two lane roundabouts.
    I just picture Chevy Chase in European Vacation.......

19. Default Re: Broadway Extension: Our Autobahn.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountaingoat View Post
    I just picture Chevy Chase in European Vacation.......
    Big Ben, Parliment
    I say it every time I’m driving in one

People that speed aren't really the problem. The problem is people who speed + change lanes to maneuver through traffic. Slow cars staying out of the fast lane helps alleviate that issue.

Quote Originally Posted by jccouger View Post
    People that speed aren't really the problem. The problem is people who speed + change lanes to maneuver through traffic. Slow cars staying out of the fast lane helps alleviate that issue.
    This. Reckless driving is the main issue coupled with morons who aren’t paying attention. Giving out drivers licenses is like giving out candy in this country. I accidentally floated a stop sign in Edmond on my driving test and it was overlooked as was my changing lanes with no signal. He shouldn’t have passed me but he did. We need stricter requirements to get a drivers license.

This. Reckless driving is the main issue coupled with morons who aren’t paying attention. Giving out drivers licenses is like giving out candy in this country. I accidentally floated a stop sign in Edmond on my driving test and it was overlooked as was my changing lanes with no signal. He shouldn’t have passed me but he did. We need stricter requirements to get a drivers license.
    And re-exams every decade or so...

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    And re-exams every decade or so...
    Yep.

I think the United States Interstate Highway System was begun nearly 70 years ago, the speed limit for those modern roads was 70MPH in most areas, and the basic layout for all of them was to support a 70MPH limit. I'm not sure if all of Broadway Extension is part of I-235, but I'm sure it was all designed to Interstate standards. We have a road well designed for higher than 70MPH speeds and limits.

The biggest advancements in car performance over that same 70-ish years is not speed...it is safety! Wider and softer tires keep our cars stuck to the pavement. Massive disc brakes can make a car go from 70 to 0 in 1/3 (or less) the time and distance they did in 1960. Advances in steering, traction control and crash avoidance help a driver keep the car flat and connected at speed. Air bag and seat belt technology we take for granted today would be considered an unachievable Gift From God in 1965.

The Broadway Extension has never been better and safer that in is today, IMO.

25. Default Re: Broadway Extension: Our Autobahn.

People always assume others reality should align with their own. I drive 60 on BWE, and 235. I want a relaxing drive to work and home.

Thread Information