Widgets Magazine

Thread: Port of Peri Peri

Far North Port of Peri Peri

Opening today (Monday 1/16), The Port of Peri Peri offers flame-broiled chicken flavored with Portuguese peppers and herbs.

Never frozen, the chicken is marinaded for a minimum of 24 hours. You can choose your own level of spice from Mild to Ultra-hot with several levels in between.

The result is a unique flavor you won't find anywhere else in OKC.

In addition to bone-in options, you can also order wings and tenders; the tenders are skinless, juicy breast meat.

Sides include falafel, paneer (Indian cheese) strips, hummus, skin-on fries, mixed olives, couscous, perimayo corn, unique yellow rice and toasted pita.

Also, wraps, pitas, beyond burger and a couple of different chicken sandwiches.

Located at 13925 N. May (just north of Memorial), hours are 11 AM to 9 PM; open until 10 PM on Friday and Saturday.

2. Default Re: Port of Peri Peri

Saw them popup on my FB feed yesterday.... Definitely has my interest as a lover of spicy food.

Default Re: Port of Peri Peri

Wait... I don't have to travel to Nando's anymore?!?!? Haha, I don't like the location for me personally, but this a chicken place that I am actually excited to see open here.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    Saw them popup on my FB feed yesterday.... Definitely has my interest as a lover of spicy food.
    I ordered 'extra hot' and it had plenty of heat.

But not so much it overwhelmed the chicken. It's unlike anything I've had in OKC.

5. Default Re: Port of Peri Peri

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyShack View Post
    Wait... I don't have to travel to Nando's anymore?!?!? Haha, I don't like the location for me personally, but this a chicken place that I am actually excited to see open here.
    Yes, Nando's! Couldn't remember the name. I was telling a friend today that I would eat at this place when I worked in Qatar that has awesome chicken with peri peri sauce, and that if this place is any where near as good it's going to rock.

Is this supposed to be Portuguese food?

7. Default Re: Port of Peri Peri

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    Is this supposed to be Portuguese food?
    Well Portuguese is a Mediterranean based cuisine and you find peri peri in Portuguese recipes..... Which I see on the menu.

Would you find this food on a menu in Portugal? I've not ever been there but just doing a quick search of Portuguese recipes makes me think calling it authentic Portuguese might be stretching it a bit..... Maybe inspired by Portuguese cuisine.

It’s an African pepper grown in Mozambique, a former Portuguese territory.

As far as peri peri chicken, it is all about the sauce. The chicken was tender and juicy, but there wasn’t a lot of meat on the quarter dark. I’ll probably get the breast and wing next time. Even though thighs generally taste better than a breast, you’re really just looking for something to put the sauce on. I went with the medium, and you get tons of tangy, lemony garlic goodness with a touch of heat. I loved it. The perimayo corn is similar to elotes and was OK. Definitely won’t get the signature rice again. It had a little heat, but not much flavor otherwise, and I just felt like it was competing with the chicken. I thought prices for the chicken itself were reasonable, but the sides seem pretty pricey

^

Thanks for the review.

I really liked the chicken tenders I had (similar to 1/2 or 1/3 a chicken breast) and at 'Extra Hot' it was plenty spicy but not overpowering. There was one higher level of heat but that would have been too much.

I hope they do well. It's owned by two brothers who are among the nicest people I've met in the restaurant industry.

We tried it tonight. Absolutely loved it. The flavors were so good on the chicken. My only advice for people who have never been is to dial DOWN your level of "Heat". I ordered the Medium and it was very spicy. i can't even imagine how hot the "Hot" is?!?

11. Default Re: Port of Peri Peri

We went the other day, and holy crap we loved it. that chicken literally fell off the bone as i picked up the leg. It was messy, delicious meal. The rice was the most flavored rice most of us at the table have ever had. I also highly recommend the garlic sauce on your peri fries, and the turtle brownie dessert thing (i didn't see the name, so not sure on name, but it had caramel and chocolate on a brownie thing with an amazing layer of something as a crust, i couldn't say what it was, but it was good! The medium spice was the perfect medium for me. I will definitely go back again and recommend this place!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20230215_231735263.PORTRAIT_3.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	5.68 MB 
ID:	17882

I visited last night. TLDR: Give it a shot it is good.

Got the Chicken Rice bowl / tenders with medium heat sauce side of slaw. Medium is plenty hot for me! My wife said the mild was too much. The garlic sauce they bring out is a great addition to mix in the rice. Talked to the owner as he come over to see that everything was ok and how we liked it. He said people from many countries visiting Okc have came in who know what peri chicken is to get some. There was a couple from Bangladesh that came in after us to get some. I had to take about 1/4 of my bowl home I didn't want to be miserably stuffed. My taking food home is not the norm for me. I highly recommend going and trying it out.

Quote Originally Posted by fromdust View Post
    Yes, Nando's! Couldn't remember the name. I was telling a friend today that I would eat at this place when I worked in Qatar that has awesome chicken with peri peri sauce, and that if this place is any where near as good it's going to rock.
    Nando's Peri-Peri is opening in Addison,TX

I went by today for lunch, and this will definitely be added to my lunch rotation. I got the 1/4 dark chicken with the "hot" level and rice as a side. I'm a huge spice fan, and the hot had some good heat, but I could have gone one or two steps up if I wanted to sweat a little. That being said, he did warn me that if you're more sensitive to heat, you should probably start with the medium level.

They bring out 2 sauces (a white yogurt/garlic sauce and a red hot sauce). The white sauce was a great addition to the rice, and helped cut the heat if needed. There were only 2 other tables when I went in, so hope that the word gets out. The owner was very nice and seemed really excited to educate people on what Peri Peri is (which I think will be his biggest hurdle). Looking forward to going back and trying something different.

Quote Originally Posted by sooner88 View Post
    I went by today for lunch, and this will definitely be added to my lunch rotation. I got the 1/4 dark chicken with the "hot" level and rice as a side. I'm a huge spice fan, and the hot had some good heat, but I could have gone one or two steps up if I wanted to sweat a little. That being said, he did warn me that if you're more sensitive to heat, you should probably start with the medium level.

They bring out 2 sauces (a white yogurt/garlic sauce and a red hot sauce). The white sauce was a great addition to the rice, and helped cut the heat if needed. There were only 2 other tables when I went in, so hope that the word gets out. The owner was very nice and seemed really excited to educate people on what Peri Peri is (which I think will be his biggest hurdle). Looking forward to going back and trying something different.
    We love this place! I learned the first time, at least for myself, that their Medium, is really a Hot anywhere else. We've been 3x's already

I enjoyed my time there. I wanted to go for the spiciest, and 2nd spiciest to which he handed me a spoonful of the spicest. I could handle it, but went for the peri cajun to just get the food. The sauces are incredibly tasty. I need to learn how to eat chicken more efficiently though cause it can get messy. Employee/owner? was super nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Vu View Post
    I enjoyed my time there. I wanted to go for the spiciest, and 2nd spiciest to which he handed me a spoonful of the spicest. I could handle it, but went for the peri cajun to just get the food. The sauces are incredibly tasty. I need to learn how to eat chicken more efficiently though cause it can get messy. Employee/owner? was super nice.
    I bet you did speak with the owner based on your comment he was super nice. I spoke to him for about 5 mins my first time in. Got take out this past weekend had family in town and they wanted to try it also.

Trader Joe's has a really good Peri Peri sauce that you can use at home to get some of the same flavor.

Stopped in this evening on my way home grabbed a tender bowl and side of slaw. Good as the last time. I see it was in back in March from my previous post. Talked to the owner again, good conversation with this guy as always. Healthy portions. I should have saved some for lunch tomorrow. I skipped lunch today, so I powered through it. If you have not stopped by in a while or never drop by for some good food.

Thread Information