Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speed bumps on OKC city streets

Default Speed bumps on OKC city streets

I emailed OKC a few years ago asking how to stop people from blowing through a 4-way stop in Venice at 30-35 MPH, and was told they really can't do much except put up a radar trailer. I asked about speed bumps and was told they were illegal, against code, against policy, whatever to put them on OKC city streets due to emergency vehicles (makes sense, don't want to hit a speed bump in an ambulance while inserting an IV, etc.).

But now, there are 2 sets on NW 36th between Classen and Blackwelder, and they do have spaces in between them width-wise so they don't stretch across the whole roadway uninterrupted, but still seems strange that they're there. They just appeared this week, I believe, wife takes 36th every day for her commute.

Anybody know of any other speed bumps on OKC city streets? I've got an email in to James Cooper, no reply yet.

Default Re: Speed bumps on OKC city streets

There’s one on Elmhurst Ave east of the intersection with Dorchester. For reference, that’s in the neighborhood near the curve in N May Ave just north of Wilshire.

There are speed bumps but also speed humps. My sister lives in an HOA controlled subdivision within Mustang and the HOA decided to install a speed hump. The funny thing is that the speed hump was installed too close to the subdivision entrance which makes it completely useless and the speeders still speed once they get past it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    There are speed bumps but also speed humps. My sister lives in an HOA controlled subdivision within Mustang and the HOA decided to install a speed hump. The funny thing is that the speed hump was installed too close to the subdivision entrance which makes it completely useless and the speeders still speed once they get past it.
    Well, that's Mustang, and also might be a private road, I'm asking about OKC. Not sure what these are actually called, I just used the generic term of speed bump, these are small black asphalt/plastic with white arrows on them, looks like they're screwed/attached to the street, not poured concrete/asphalt.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Well, that's Mustang, and also might be a private road, I'm asking about OKC. Not sure what these are actually called, I just used the generic term of speed bump, these are small black asphalt/plastic with white arrows on them, looks like they're screwed/attached to the street, not poured concrete/asphalt.
    You can call the traffic department to ask them about it,

https://www.okc.gov/Home/Components/...ctory/106/3009

Damaged cars are my business and my life. have been for over 40 years. What I have figured out is that speed bumps damage cars. Every few years a group of citizens with political power (or just loud and persistent) wear down a city government and get them to put in some kind of road limiting device. such as speed bumps, fast curves with hard curbs, lane narrowing, those nailed down rubber humps that were on Carlton Way in The Village a few years ago, the 3 foot tall plastic "Stop for pedestrians" signs in between the lanes of Automobile Alley, etc.

The real world net effect is that these items damage cars when they might not be perfectly driven. They have effectively removed the good faith margin of error for people abiding by all laws at the time. A speed bump could (or would) damage a car being driven 25mph in a 25mph zone, and could possibly cause it to go out of control. A 3 foot tall plastic stick in the road could be knocked loose by one driver and hit a car following behind, who's driver is following all traffic laws.

What then happens is someone files a car damage claim against the city, and win. The city also gets complaints about what is seen as punitive, unsafe and heavy handed.

Public roads should always be designed and built so they can be safely driven on within the assigned speed (and other) limits, and within the legally defined margin of error. A speed bump being used to control traffic that could be controlled by stop signs and increased police monitoring is done for the purpose of saving money in the short term. A city should never risk damage and safety for convenience, or as a result of public complaint.

Put a stop sign every 200 feet. That is not unsafe. It is annoying, but it is not (usually) unsafe.

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    Put a stop sign every 200 feet. That is not unsafe. It is annoying, but it is not (usually) unsafe.
    That's exactly what they did in Heritage Hills.

If you are talking about Venice Boulevard between 27th and 35th, good luck ever getting people to slow down. That looks like an early experiment on how to put highways through residential areas. Having more people park cars on street should calm traffic, but otherwise the street concrete cross section and intersections looks like that came out of a design manual for a highway designed for 50-65 MPH, but signed slower and stop signs added. Plus not having to cross any of the mile grid streets, means relatively rarely is there going to be cars they have to wait due to priority.

If money was not an object then it might be better to convert what is currently southbound lanes to a normal two way street (it is technically wide enough for two way travel, maybe not city spec for that, the probably costlier issue is many of the houses only connect to the northbound side), and the northbound lanes to pedestrian/bike infrastructure. Which depending on how hard it would be to go under I-44, might be able to extend up to 50 Penn Place with ROW from canal and I-44 relatively easily. Even dipping below Penn Ave might be an option, avoiding at grade crossing with all major streets that whole way.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    If you are talking about Venice Boulevard between 27th and 35th, good luck ever getting people to slow down. That looks like an early experiment on how to put highways through residential areas. Having more people park cars on street should calm traffic, but otherwise the street concrete cross section and intersections looks like that came out of a design manual for a highway designed for 50-65 MPH, but signed slower and stop signs added. Plus not having to cross any of the mile grid streets, means relatively rarely is there going to be cars they have to wait due to priority.

If money was not an object then it might be better to convert what is currently southbound lanes to a normal two way street (it is technically wide enough for two way travel, maybe not city spec for that, the probably costlier issue is many of the houses only connect to the northbound side), and the northbound lanes to pedestrian/bike infrastructure. Which depending on how hard it would be to go under I-44, might be able to extend up to 50 Penn Place with ROW from canal and I-44 relatively easily. Even dipping below Penn Ave might be an option, avoiding at grade crossing with all major streets that whole way.
    Actually, Venice Blvd is fine speed-wise - there are enough stop signs and on-street parking from 30th to 36th to slow everybody down almost all the time (we rarely drive the 23rd - 30th section, but I assume it's the same). I'm talking about the people that use 35th to/from May instead of 36th and blow right through the stop sign at Venice Blvd literally without even slowing down (no brake lights at all). And Venice Blvd will never be converted to anything, there is massive drainage underneath it that drains that whole area into Deep Fork Drainage Ditch/Creek (we couldn't even get sidewalks put in the median because of increased weight on the pipe(s)). Also, no way could each side handle two-way traffic if, for example, a northbound F150 and a southbound garbage truck happen to meet...

Dob - I agree with you, even though I actually wanted to get speed bumps/humps placed, but they were at a stop sign, so people should be going over them at a pretty slow rate of speed after they stop. They already ignore the existing stop signs and I've tried increased police enforcement, but it only works for a few day after they're there (and they won't send anybody out any longer, too low of a priority). And what's weird about these new bumps/humps on 36th is that they're on either side of the traffic-calming median (or whatever it's called, similar to those on Western that were eventually removed) smack in the middle of the 36th/McKinley intersection, so why do they need bumps/humps *and* that median? I can't see any way people are speeding along that stretch enough to justify new measures...

tvkokc - no way do I ever call a government office, I've learned my lesson. Cooper's office is forwarding my email to OKC Traffic Mgmt, so if they don't respond, then I'll email them myself or (shudder) call them.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Actually, Venice Blvd is fine speed-wise - there are enough stop signs and on-street parking from 30th to 36th to slow everybody down almost all the time (we rarely drive the 23rd - 30th section, but I assume it's the same). I'm talking about the people that use 35th to/from May instead of 36th and blow right through the stop sign at Venice Blvd literally without even slowing down (no brake lights at all). And Venice Blvd will never be converted to anything, there is massive drainage underneath it that drains that whole area into Deep Fork Drainage Ditch/Creek (we couldn't even get sidewalks put in the median because of increased weight on the pipe(s)). Also, no way could each side handle two-way traffic if, for example, a northbound F150 and a southbound garbage truck happen to meet...

Dob - I agree with you, even though I actually wanted to get speed bumps/humps placed, but they were at a stop sign, so people should be going over them at a pretty slow rate of speed after they stop. They already ignore the existing stop signs and I've tried increased police enforcement, but it only works for a few day after they're there (and they won't send anybody out any longer, too low of a priority). And what's weird about these new bumps/humps on 36th is that they're on either side of the traffic-calming median (or whatever it's called, similar to those on Western that were eventually removed) smack in the middle of the 36th/McKinley intersection, so why do they need bumps/humps *and* that median? I can't see any way people are speeding along that stretch enough to justify new measures...

tvkokc - no way do I ever call a government office, I've learned my lesson. Cooper's office is forwarding my email to OKC Traffic Mgmt, so if they don't respond, then I'll email them myself or (shudder) call them.
    I wonder who it is with the super power in that area of 36th? Is it Putnam Heights? Whoever it is, they have gotten that squiggle put in within the last 2-3 years IIRC, and now have the speed humps/bumps you mention. Like those squiggles on Western that were by the Will Rogers Theater and VZDs, these are punitive devices. They are designed to harm cars and drivers who do not comply with the rules. It's almost like they don't want to be bothered with more stop signs themselves, but they want to put a beatin' on them outsider's cars who dare drive too fast on their road.

This is the most vocal I have ever been publicly about this issue. Never could work up the nerve.

I might have to talk to the city of The Village about the street redesign around the new civic space east of the library.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    That's exactly what they did in Heritage Hills.
    And people still blow right through them, often without even slowing down. I experience this almost daily on my morning bike ride. It doesn't seem to matter whether it's daylight yet, or what day of the week it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    I wonder who it is with the super power in that area of 36th? Is it Putnam Heights? Whoever it is, they have gotten that squiggle put in within the last 2-3 years IIRC, and now have the speed humps/bumps you mention. Like those squiggles on Western that were by the Will Rogers Theater and VZDs, these are punitive devices. They are designed to harm cars and drivers who do not comply with the rules. It's almost like they don't want to be bothered with more stop signs themselves, but they want to put a beatin' on them outsider's cars who dare drive too fast on their road.

This is the most vocal I have ever been publicly about this issue. Never could work up the nerve.

I might have to talk to the city of The Village about the street redesign around the new civic space east of the library.
    Yes, Putnam Heights. The mini-roundabout has actually been there longer than that, I believe it was in place when we moved to Venice in 2016.

Got a reply back from Stuart Chai and still have some questions outstanding that he didn't answer, so I'll post about those if he deigns to answer, but he basically sent this link and said "Yes, we do that now".

https://www.okc.gov/departments/publ...tement-program

Apparently all you have to do now is write a check for half the cost of speed humps/cushions, signs, etc. and get neighborhood support and the city will say "OK, we'll do it". Doesn't look like there are any studies of traffic done or anything else besides just getting neighbors to sign something - pretty sh!tty procedure if you ask me since it doesn't appear to take into account the actual traffic on that street, just a bunch of people that don't want you driving through their neighborhood. And yes, HH didn't want people driving through their neighborhood, but stop signs are a lot less intrusive/damaging than speed-whatevers in a street.

13. Default Re: Speed bumps on OKC city streets

Unnecessary stop signs just waste gas for those who abide by them and are ignored by those who see something to stop for 1 out of 1000 times they approach the sign. I will add to the car damage issue of speed bumps the fact that people with head issues, back issues, nerve issue and other issues experience physical pain from bumps. Mini roundabouts work much better in most cases.

So everybody's favorite traffic engineer Stuart Chai verified that no studies or public notice need be done aside from getting signatures on a petition from those on that block. So if you've got some money and you're an elitist NIMBY, hit the city up for some speed bumps in your neighborhood, they'll gladly oblige and stick them on a street whenever, wherever as long as your check clears...

Wondering if it's legal to have two traffic-calming measures so close to each other?

Going to have to get some massive bass-heavy tunes (with really offensive lyrics for icing on the cake) to pump out at huge volume while going 3 MPH through that neighborhood with all my windows open now. Might just drive around those two blocks a couple of times each time I go past it also, should only add a few minutes to my trips.

I heard on the radio yesterday (wife Xmas music) that there was an accident at 30th and Venice. I just thought it was a sign since this thread was recent.

Quote Originally Posted by Shortsyeararound View Post
    I heard on the radio yesterday (wife Xmas music) that there was an accident at 30th and Venice. I just thought it was a sign since this thread was recent.
    Ha! Never seen or heard of an accident there in the 7 years we've lived in Venice, but not surprising - lots of left-turners in all directions there and with the standard Okie-non-turn-signaling...

This is getting better and better....

Only 8 locations in OKC have speed cushions, and except for the 36th St location, they are *all* on small neighborhood streets (Elmhurst Avenue, SE 80 St, SW 38 St, NE 55 St, NW 26 St, SW 166 St, NW 58 Pl). 36th has a speed limit of at least 35 MPH from the west boundary of OKC all the way to the east boundary, the *only* place it falls below that (to 25 MPH) is between Classen and Blackwelder, which I'm sure is the doing of Putnam Heights residents getting it lowered at some point in the past. Also pretty sure Putnam Heights residents got the city to install the chicane/mini-roundabout, I doubt the city would do it by themselves like they did on Western.

Speed cushions are limited in what streets they can go on (connector, neighborhood, or industrial with a speed limit of 30 MPH or lower), so because of the aforementioned lowered speed limit, they can whip out their checkbook and punish the thousands (7000+ in 2019) of vehicles per *day* that go down that street. 36th may be labeled a connector street, but because of their money, PH residents got their 3 blocks' speed limit lowered, and because of *that*, they can game the system to get speed humps installed.

What an incredible display of arrogant, elitist NIMBYism, completely disgusting. I'm going to try to see if there is any way possible to fight this, it might be within the letter of the law, but it is completely wrong WRT to the spirit of the law.

Jeepnokc - sent you a PM, thought I'd mention it here just in case you don't check them often...

I agree that the speed bumps should not have been installed. The west “bump” in the westbound lane is especially worthless as it is just before a stop sign. The 25 mph speed limit is totally appropriate between Classen and Blackwelder. It is a two lane street in a residential neighborhood, no different than any other neighborhood in OKC.

Travelers, you need to take a chill pill. Your comments about the neighborhood are over the top. What is your dog in this fight? There are certainly larger issues in the city to get worked up about.

Quote Originally Posted by Mesta Parker View Post
    I agree that the speed bumps should not have been installed. The west “bump” in the westbound lane is especially worthless as it is just before a stop sign. The 25 mph speed limit is totally appropriate between Classen and Blackwelder. It is a two lane street in a residential neighborhood, no different than any other neighborhood in OKC.

Travelers, you need to take a chill pill. Your comments about the neighborhood are over the top. What is your dog in this fight? There are certainly larger issues in the city to get worked up about.
    I think the argument is that 36th Street is a section line road that is over 100 years old and crosses beyond OKC limits on the east and west. It has “always” been a main traffic corridor and every owner within a quarter mile got a price adjustment based on 36th Streets function and traffic when they bought. No owner was there before 36th became a section line road. Any owner complaining about traffic on 36th is attempting to change city traffic patterns for their personal gain and enrichment. When they employ curves and humps, they are engaging punitive measures that are designed to damage cars for speed limit non-compliance. That could be considered too high a bar for any section line road in OKC.

My wife's commute is straight down 36th from May-ish to Lincoln every day, and we both use it often as the main street to get to places east (Broadway Extension, Classen, Western, etc.). We live right off 36th near May. And trust me, I get worked up over lots of other issues, both larger and smaller, in OKC all the time, I just don't post about it here.

While overall 36th St is a section line and main traffic corridor, based on my experience, between Classen and May, 36th is not a major corridor. Going west on 36th most cars turn north or south at Classen. Very few continue west. Going east at May on 36th, again most cars turn north or south, not many continue east on 36th. From a traffic standpoint, 36th between Classen and May is similar to N Walker between NW 13th and NW 50th and NW 30th between Walker and May. These are residential streets that carry mostly neighborhood traffic plus some others passing through.

While overall 36th St is a section line and main traffic corridor, based on my experience, between Classen and May, 36th is not a major corridor. Going west on 36th most cars turn north or south at Classen. Very few continue west. Going east at May on 36th, again most cars turn north or south, not many continue east on 36th. From a traffic standpoint, 36th between Classen and May is similar to N Walker between NW 13th and NW 50th and NW 30th between Walker and May. These are residential streets that carry mostly neighborhood traffic plus some others passing through.
    ADT count in 2019 for McKinley/36th was over 7000. That's not a residential street.

So, if it is not residential, what would you call a two lane street with a 25 mph speed limit whose only structures on either side are single family homes, a church and a school?

So, if it is not residential, what would you call a two lane street with a 25 mph speed limit whose only structures on either side are single family homes, a church and a school?
    Collector. That's what it's actually labeled in planokc's map (and the other street types are arterial, neighborhood, industrial). I'm guessing that when you say "residential", you probably are thinking of the "neighborhood" classification of a street. And the 25 MPH speed limit is BS, NW 36th has a 25 MPH speed limit for only 3 blocks it's entire length between east and west city limits and most likely only because the elitist NIMIBYs did whatever they had to do to get it lowered (I don't know what it was originally or when it was changed, though).

The NW 59th Pl speed cushions definitely send traffic down to NW 57th to speed across between Villa and May now.

Thread Information