Widgets Magazine
Page 11 of 29 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: 2023 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

Default Re: 2023 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

I can’t post the exact numbers but United should be around 21,000 in and out (42K total)

It’s interesting that the numbers reported by OKC are exactly doubled of the United Express total, but not inclusive of mainline operations (which did occur according to the report I am looking at).

According to this report, the number of United passengers is a whooping 64,500 for February. The double from last year !

I wonder if we see AA catch up to Southwest again this year. They keep adding routes and increased frequencies. Wasn't a 2nd daily to LGA the latest one?

4. Default Re: 2023 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    I wonder if we see AA catch up to Southwest again this year. They keep adding routes and increased frequencies. Wasn't a 2nd daily to LGA the latest one?
    They are running 3x daily to PHX right now too. For the longest time it seems like it had only been 2x

5. Default Re: 2023 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

I find the United numbers very hard to believe considering the complete dearth of mainline to its hubs and no return of service to IAD, EWR, or, SFO.

As stated they are not correct. 21k (16k UAX 5k mainline) for around 42K for the month.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard at Remax View Post
    They are running 3x daily to PHX right now too. For the longest time it seems like it had only been 2x
    The longer term potential growth of AA at OKC is exciting. They're the only one consistently growing in OKC.

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    The longer term potential growth of AA at OKC is exciting. They're the only one consistently growing in OKC.
    Realistically though outside of increasing frequencies and resuming service to PHL, what else would AA add out of OKC? Highly doubtful they would pursue any point-to-point flying.

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    Realistically though outside of increasing frequencies and resuming service to PHL, what else would AA add out of OKC? Highly doubtful they would pursue any point-to-point flying.
    Boston. Louisville and Memphis have directs there on American.

10. Default Re: 2023 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

Recently had a trip and as always, i come back appreciating our small airport.

Went through the dreaded pile of crap that is O'Hare like usual. God i hate that airport and the world seems to go through it. It is such a complete pile of crap.

I did go through Pittsburgh too and I have to say that I was surprised there. The terminal itself is a bit odd in that once you get through security, you have to take a tram to get to the actual gate section and walking is not an option. They come every minute or so, so it's super fast. I'm wondering in OKC, if we ever decided to physically move the gate structure (or add a second terminal) if that would be better than moving sidewalks. It was WAAAAY faster. Sort of like Orlando, but underground. The terminal was laid out in a bit of an unusual X pattern, but it made it very easy to walk the entire 100 gates or so super easily. Not very many food options for that many gates (and far more gates than that airport really needs given its low traffic, but that's what happens when you lose your hub status for an airline that gets bought out).

And if you have not done PreCheck, man it makes like easier not having to strip down, remove laptops/etc. Those CLEAR people are trying to sell you the entire time you're in line, but i'm not paying that crap.

Now what i will say is that I really wish Will Rogers could up its game to less commuter jets and more real airplanes. I am so tired of Embrair and Candair planes with crappy overhead space where half the plane has to gate check. I'd give up flight times to get an honest to goodness Boeing plane for once.

11. Default Re: 2023 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

Had a business trip to and from Tucson for a quick 2 hour lunch meeting last Thursday on United:

OKC-IAH on a CR9........completely full
    IAH-TUS on a 739......maybe half full and I actually received an upgrade on this leg (never happens out of IAH)
    TUS-DEN on an A320.....also maybe half full, all 4 exit rows were completely empty, save for me in 21C with a whole row to myself
    DEN-OKC on a CR2......United had to offer $1000 vouchers to 4 volunteers in order to get this plane out of Denver.

Absolutely blows my mind UA would be running empty mainline to a place like TUS and absolute junk (but overbooked) aircraft like CR2s to OKC. Something just doesn't add up to me.

United mainline load factor is in the upper 60% in OKC for the months I averaged (this is from official data inside United’s system not estimating). They just aren’t filling the seats. 76 seats seem to be the magic airplane for OKC. There just aren’t enough of them to hit all the markets they need them in. With the freight house being closed around 2014 mainline is a money loser for United in OKC unfortunately. When we had mainline to Houston with the freight house open we did quite a bit of oil business freight. Drill bits, etc. not sure what half of it was but very heavy small objects on pallets. Likely pretty impactful revenue wise. Oil companies will pay whatever cost it is to send a drill bit on overnight service to the field.

If United’s product was a match for the market they would be the dominant carrier with 3-4 mainline trips each to DEN, ORD, and IAH. You cover all 3 directions with massive volume. Then hit the corners with 2x daily to EWR, IAD, SFO for premium nonstop to those markets and good international coverage.

I think AA and WN are just too suited to the target OKC traveler for UA to make any traction around these parts, similar story for Delta which just may be too premium heavy. United is trying to be the global airline of choice for US based travelers. Delta is trying to be the premium airline of choice for domestic travelers, and AA is trying to be the value-legacy carrier of choice for domestic passengers with a healthy selection of premium options for those who may desire it. All 3 are doing well in that but that product won’t win every market.

14. Default Re: 2023 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

Quote Originally Posted by s00nr1 View Post
    Had a business trip to and from Tucson for a quick 2 hour lunch meeting last Thursday on United:

OKC-IAH on a CR9........completely full
    IAH-TUS on a 739......maybe half full and I actually received an upgrade on this leg (never happens out of IAH)
    TUS-DEN on an A320.....also maybe half full, all 4 exit rows were completely empty, save for me in 21C with a whole row to myself
    DEN-OKC on a CR2......United had to offer $1000 vouchers to 4 volunteers in order to get this plane out of Denver.

Absolutely blows my mind UA would be running empty mainline to a place like TUS and absolute junk (but overbooked) aircraft like CR2s to OKC. Something just doesn't add up to me.
    I've had this experience too. Not with TUS. It's maddening. Not because I want to always fly United, but because I want a decent option to their hubs that I fly to as the destination, and there's rarely any decent option. I've given up on any changing planes itineraries on United-- those are exclusively AA trips for me, or the occasional Delta flight through ATL. I refuse to get on a CRJ-200 unless for IRROPS.

Just curious why similar sized markets like Memphis, Des Moines, Omaha, Tucson, Louisville etc have so much more mainline service than OKC. Hard to believe all those markets have that much stronger demand than Okc, particularly to United hubs like Houston/Denver. 6 daily flights to Houston on regional jets just seems absurd.

Does anyone remember how many nonstop Delta flights OKC - MSP they used to operate pre pandemic? I'm thinking at least 3x daily.

Anyway, I've been looking at flights, and am only seeing 1 nonstop per day now, what a bummer.

Almost as if these airlines just don't respect the OKC airport.

Quote Originally Posted by chssooner View Post
    Nah, respect for OKC has nothing to do with this. It is respect for the bottom line, profit. The airlines do not operate in a command economy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    Nah, respect for OKC has nothing to do with this. It is respect for the bottom line, profit. The airlines do not operate in a command economy.
    I know. Just seems OKC is the first to go. And every plane out of OKC is packed or oversold. So they either don't care about OKC, or aren't being properly informed about the market. I fly 5 or 6 times a year. Every single flight I am on is packed. Most oversold with people on standby. I know, anecdotal evidence. But OKC should be getting more mainline service, not less, or having flights to hubs cut.

Maybe I just want too much for our "big-league city".

Quote Originally Posted by Bits_Of_Real_Panther View Post
    Does anyone remember how many nonstop Delta flights OKC - MSP they used to operate pre pandemic? I'm thinking at least 3x daily.

Anyway, I've been looking at flights, and am only seeing 1 nonstop per day now, what a bummer.
    3x daily, all on 200s usually. I do remember one summer it went to 4x daily but it was very short-lived and never happened again.

MSP is only 70% as large as it was pre-pandemic. It's a shame Delta doesn't respect MSP either.

Minneapolis is Delta's second-largest hub. In the week starting June 21st, it has 4,236 take-offs and landings, according to the latest OAG data. There are between 551 and 629 movements each day. Still, the SkyTeam carrier's Minneapolis flights are at just 72% of what they were in the same period in 2019.
    https://simpleflying.com/minneapolis...d-busiest-hub/

21. Default Re: 2023 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

I noticed the fall some days SWA are running 3x daily to Las Vegas. Nice addition.

That's what I have been seeing lately out of OKC. More frequencies/bigger aircrafts vs more routes. I think we'll see some big markets reinstated soon.

Where are you connecting to from MSP? Unless it's in the upper midwest there are usually better connecting flights from Chicago if going northeast. Denver and SLC are best for anything northwest. St Louis is actually great for mid-Atlantic routes. There are some decent international routes but not as many as Chicago or Dallas.

I know there is some O&D in Minneapolis but it's not a major destination

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    Where are you connecting to from MSP? Unless it's in the upper midwest there are usually better connecting flights from Chicago if going northeast. Denver and SLC are best for anything northwest. St Louis is actually great for mid-Atlantic routes. There are some decent international routes but not as many as Chicago or Dallas.

I know there is some O&D in Minneapolis but it's not a major destination
    Some people fly Delta for rewards or other purposes. Not having Detroit or Minneapolis as viable options is bad for those people.

Honestly, they should give up on Delta caring about OKC amd switch to American Airlines for their rewards.

24. Default Re: 2023 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Bits_Of_Real_Panther View Post

I have flown this route religiously for years. The current situation has NEGATIVELY induced demand it is so bad, for me and those I know who use it. For several years it fluctuated between 3-4 daily, depending on the day of the week. This was after the Delta merger. It wasn't until 2018 or so that Delta started to reduce it to about 2 per day much of the year. It has not returned to more than 1 flight per day since the pandemic started. It's very annoying.

I know. Just seems OKC is the first to go. And every plane out of OKC is packed or oversold. So they either don't care about OKC, or aren't being properly informed about the market. I fly 5 or 6 times a year. Every single flight I am on is packed. Most oversold with people on standby. I know, anecdotal evidence. But OKC should be getting more mainline service, not less, or having flights to hubs cut.

Maybe I just want too much for our "big-league city".
    LMAO. It's not an emotional decision dude. It's just business

Thread Information