Widgets Magazine
Page 14 of 29 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: 2023 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

Default Re: 2023 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Bits_Of_Real_Panther View Post
    I feel like booking a flight is a test to avoid falling into a predatory trap,all the trip protection, paying fees to "hold the fare" for a few days, clicking on the wrong colored seat map, fees, penalties, nonrefundable stuff.

These airlines are preying on travelers,it's disgusting they keep getting bailouts and can treat the public in the ways they do.
    That's why it's a good idea to pay a professional to help you with this instead of trying to do everything yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    I'm flying Allegiant for the first time to VPS in September. The only non-stop to the Destin area and the times are decent. Never flown Allegiant as I typically only fly SW, United or AA. Anyone have any recent experience flying them?
    The biggest problem is that, if they have a flight cancelled, there is no backup to book you on another flight. You are stuck until they find a way to get you on another plane, either the same day or another day. They only have one flight scheduled on the day you travel and they won't put you on another airline. The best that will happen is that they will give you a refund and you are on your own to find a flight on another airline.

Quote Originally Posted by unfundedrick View Post
    That's why it's a good idea to pay a professional to help you with this instead of trying to do everything yourself.
    It shouldn't take "paying a professional" to book airline tickets

I flew to SLC last month. Direct on Delta up there, then AA back through DFW. The AA flight was half of what the direct on Delta was... My return flight was more full than the flight to SLC. $550 vs $280

5. Default Re: 2023 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

It appears starting June 3 OKC-DEN will be going from 3x to 4x daily, with mainline returning for one of those flights. Progress....

604am - E175
    947am - E175
    1120am - CR2 (gross)
    520pm - Mainly A319 with 7M8 on Saturdays and an occasional 739 on Sundays

It's been 4x daily since the pandemic eased.

Quote Originally Posted by s00nr1 View Post
    It appears starting June 3 OKC-DEN will be going from 3x to 4x daily, with mainline returning for one of those flights. Progress....

604am - E175
    947am - E175
    1120am - CR2 (gross)
    520pm - Mainly A319 with 7M8 on Saturdays and an occasional 739 on Sundays

Has this den - okc been a 737 or is it a recent change?

July flight

Flight UA 2251
    Duration 1h 37m
    AircraftBoeing 737-800

8. Default Re: 2023 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    It's been 4x daily since the pandemic eased.
    My apologies -- for some reason June 1 and 2 are only 3x.

Quote Originally Posted by s00nr1 View Post
    My apologies -- for some reason June 1 and 2 are only 3x.
    The new system schedule begins June 3, there could be some schedule slack in the day or two before as some hubs start off larger than others and you need to reposition airplanes and crews etc.

Quote Originally Posted by shai2022 View Post
    I may be a cynic but the prices to fly in and out of okc are in no way "normal". We are a underserved, overpriced destination with little to no growth. It is what it is but it is disappointing that nothing seems to be being done about it. I mean update the website at the very least.. quite literally the lowest hanging fruit.

And don't tell me there are not planes or pilots. Look at the recent route additions to comparable cities like Louisville, Memphis, Birmingham, De Moines. They are navigating the rough waters just fine. Its pathetic really.
    I am amazed that the website still isn't updated. I had to look to make sure but the new gates were completed in Sept of 2021 and if you look at the map of the terminal on flyokc they still aren't there.

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    It shouldn't take "paying a professional" to book airline tickets
    LOL, If booking a ticket was all that was involved, you might be correct. But wading through the intricacies of how to deal with airlines and flights when everything doesn't go exactly as planned, be my guest to get into that flytrap all by yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by whatitis View Post
    I am amazed that the website still isn't updated. I had to look to make sure but the new gates were completed in Sept of 2021 and if you look at the map of the terminal on flyokc they still aren't there.
    Holt seems to care about the airport's optics a lot. Perhaps bugging him on social media will get him to do some poking.

Also tell him to get flight crews to stop calling it Oak City..

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    Yes, so much this! Lived here from 1965 - 1995, 2009 - present, and I've *never* heard anybody that actually lives or lived here call it that.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Yes, so much this! Lived here from 1965 - 1995, 2009 - present, and I've *never* heard anybody that actually lives or lived here call it that.
    That's like the people who live in San Francisco don't like for it to be called Frisco.

The FAA call sign for Oklahoma City Approach/Departure Control is Oke City Approach. With no other context most probably assume it is a local term. They fly into dozens and dozens of different airports a year and other than finding it on a chart or riding the shuttle to the layover hotel most have zero interaction with any of the cities they fly to.

https://www.airnav.com/airport/OKC

The FAA call sign for Oklahoma City Approach/Departure Control is Oke City Approach. With no other context most probably assume it is a local term. They fly into dozens and dozens of different airports a year and other than finding it on a chart or riding the shuttle to the layover hotel most have zero interaction with any of the cities they fly to.

Did not know, that explains it, thx.

Yep. My dad flew for Continental for 30 years. He always called into 'Oke City' approach/departure, even "Oke City Tower" although "Rogers tower" was adopted at some point.

So I just did some looking around at other city's airport call signs. And I am still not sure why OKC is OKE City. Looking at Denver, it is simply just Denver. Then Dallas is DFW. Love field is Love. Chicago is Chicago.

Am I reading these wrong or are there other cities that also have approach call sign like ours?

I gather that I’m weird for this (among other reasons of course) but I actually like the Oak/Oke City “nickname.” There’s a big development underway called OAK, there’s the Oak Tree Country Club, escarpment live oak’s are native to southwestern Oklahoma. Even though it’s a play on words for Oklahoma City, it fits a natural aspect of the city/state. It reminds me some of the “peach” name to Georgia, especially Atlanta.

So I just did some looking around at other city's airport call signs. And I am still not sure why OKC is OKE City. Looking at Denver, it is simply just Denver. Then Dallas is DFW. Love field is Love. Chicago is Chicago.

Am I reading these wrong or are there other cities that also have approach call sign like ours?
    It’s not a “for fun” thing, Oklahoma City is 6 syllables. Most of those examples are 2 and 3 syllables. Oke City reduces it to 3 syllables.

Dallas/Ft Worth is Regional Approach.
    Los Angeles/San Diego is SoCal Approach
    San Francisco/San Jose is NorCal Approach
    Bentonville, AR is Razorback Approach
    Colorado Springs is Springs Approach

It’s not a “for fun” thing, Oklahoma City is 6 syllables. Most of those examples are 2 and 3 syllables. Oke City reduces it to 3 syllables.

Dallas/Ft Worth is Regional Approach.
    Los Angeles/San Diego is SoCal Approach
    San Francisco/San Jose is NorCal Approach
    Bentonville, AR is Razorback Approach
    Colorado Springs is Springs Approach
    Why not simply OKC then?

Lol, must be a very slow news day.

Quote Originally Posted by therhett17 View Post
    Why not simply OKC then?
    Acronyms aren’t used over the radio.

Contact your Congressman to get the FAA to change it since it seems this is such a huge concern to the populace. Lol.

Holt seems to care about the airport's optics a lot. Perhaps bugging him on social media will get him to do some poking.

This always sends me into a fit of rage. Every time. And how stupid is this since our airport initials are OKC? How hard is this you dumb pilots? And, aren't a lot of these folks trained here, or is that just the controllers? Either way, one would hope FAA staff would say that referring to OKC as "Oak City" is tantamount to calling San Francisco "Frisco."

Don't do it. Ever.

What if pilots called Dallas "Dally?" or referred to Pittsburgh as "Pitts?" Or "Sandy" for San Diego? I mean, come on, this is bordering on a slur.

And yes, the mayor does care about such things. I mentioned something to him once and he immediately sent my concern to the airport director.

Of all the stupid, asinine things to get upset with. I hope to be as blissful as you guys, to be upset by something this trivial.

Thread Information