Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: January 2023 - General Weather Discussion

Weather January 2023 - General Weather Discussion

Possible severe risk SE Oklahoma to start the year...

Blog Entries

Default Re: January 2023 - General Weather Discussion

Today has been absolutely beautiful. Started chilly but what a glorious day! Happy New Year!

^

Yep! I spent most the day outside doing some re-planting and raking leaves.

What a glorious last few days and a tremendous start to the new year.

I've been slaying a lot of outdoor projects that I usually don't get to until early spring.

Looks like it's going to stay relatively warm for awhile. That brutal cold snap really makes you appreciate these nice days.

Got our outside Christmas lights down this afternoon. Perfect weather for outside work.

Blog Entries

From NWS Norman

It's a tale of two mornings across our area with a warm front moving northwestward, raising temperatures from the upper 30s to near 60 degrees as it passes by. In Oklahoma City, temperatures rose 13 degrees in 10 minutes at 3:00 a.m!

January is setting up to be a very odd month. Checked some of the long range models, and I’m not seeing any hints of precipitation or any big cold waves of energy coming down into the state. There may be some hints of rain in 2 weeks, but that’s it. Seems like more of an early March pattern to me.

Quote Originally Posted by C_M_25 View Post
    January is setting up to be a very odd month. Checked some of the long range models, and I’m not seeing any hints of precipitation or any big cold waves of energy coming down into the state. There may be some hints of rain in 2 weeks, but that’s it. Seems like more of an early March pattern to me.
    Sounds wonderful. I will take it. I really don’t like the cold at all.

The warmth is nice but we really need rain. After a fairly wet December it’s been very dry except in the far eastern counties. That is typical for January but will not help alleviate the drought.

Good grief! It's only Jan. 6, and 5 tornadoes for Oklahoma sets a record for the most tornadoes ever in the month of January, according to channel 5 meteorologist Damon Lane.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    Good grief! It's only Jan. 6, and 5 tornadoes for Oklahoma sets a record for the most tornadoes ever in the month of January, according to channel 5 meteorologist Damon Lane.
    The good news is that the number of tornados in January doesn't really indicate what will happen in April or May.

After a dry couple weeks outside of the far eastern counties the pattern looks like it is shifting and the storm track becoming more favorable for rain across OK after 1/20. Any system this time of year can bring snow but temps look to stay on the warmer side for now

Temps approaching 70 degrees across the state on Monday. Humidity will also be increasing ahead of the next storm. Still some uncertainty on where the low sets up and associated DRY SLOT but possibly some decent rainfall for many areas with the best chances in eastern OK. Going on a month without substantial rainfall for many areas which is making the drought worse. Another couple storms behind this one so an active pattern looks probable toward the end of January.

Been pretty quiet around here, but as others have mentioned we will see a string of potential storm impact over the next week.

Beginning tonight there is a slight chance of a passing shower or two for C OK, nothing significant. Another storm with light rain/snow potential this coming Saturday. A more significant storm will be in the area around Tuesday.

Tonight (01/17/2023):

Decent rains across portions of the state with east-central and NE OK the big winners. Another chance of widespread rain on Saturday 1/21 and again on Tuesday 1/24. Both of these will be colder systems but should stay all rain as it looks right now.

Will wait for short-range model runs before getting into the details, but the upcoming storm for next week is looking pretty solid for precipitation statewide. Could be some heavy snow in N OK.

The NWS is starting to warn about possibly impactful snow for Tuesday across much of the state. https://twitter.com/NWStulsa/status/1616540349564096512

Which probably means we end up getting a couple inches that actually stick and all pandemonium breaks out for 24 hours until it melts.

Local mets going to go full doomsday cast this weekend, so I will show you the models they will cherry pick right now.

Still a long ways out, but forecast as of Friday evening shows a significant wet snowstorm for the area. Temperatures will be 31-33F, so this will definitely bust for someone.

CAN:

GFS:

I think channel 5 isn't as prone to overly sensationalizing upcoming weather.

GFS model showing heaviest snow through central OK and especially the higher elevations of SE OK and NWA

Really good moisture possible with this storm

Any guesses on how travel on I35 going south out of OKC to the OK/Texas boarder will be on Wednesday starting at around noon?

Look here is the deal. It's going to snow. It might be rain/snow at times. Will parts of the state see 6 inches of snow yes most likely 1-44 south. Could the Metro see 6 inches yes. Will you see 6 inches on the ground NO. Snowing during the day, ground is still warm, temps will be right around 33 the whole event. Everyone relax it's going to be wet. Might get 2 inches total on the ground when all said and done. Also we are still a tad early it's only Sunday morning. A slight change in the track could be less snow or a degree or too warmer in the atmosphere it could just be all rain.

If you need something to hype start hyping the temperatures from January 30th until at least February 6th. A whole week of highs in the teens might even be 2 weeks with temps like that.

Surprised to see it snowing this morning.

I have to fly to Houston Thursday afternoon. Will the weather be ok by then?

Surprised to see it snowing this morning.
    Shocked the TV stations are not wall to wall.

Thread Information