Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: January 2023 - General Weather Discussion

Default Re: January 2023 - General Weather Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by C_M_25 View Post
    ^ Jeez kukblue, who peed in your cornflakes this morning? You have been very combative with the forecasting of this storm. Just take a deep breath and realize this storm is difficult to forecast. Lots of variables in play that decide whether it snows and how much accumulates. IMO, I would rather the schools play it safe just in case and let out early if they’re in the path of this storm. No point in putting kids at risk.

should we close for heavy rain storms than. what about storms in the forecast.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    IIRC, the main reason for closing schools here (we don't have kids, so this is just what I've read somewhere) is that if it's not safe for kids to walk to/from school or the school bus stops, they'll close the schools (that's just one reason I've heard). And with this much snow, kids will not be able to walk safely on sidewalks or in the street, so they're closing schools, or at least that's my take on it.
    Now that makes a little bit of sense. Lot's of kids down here probably don't have boots and gloves either. Thanks for a sensible answer.

3. Default Re: January 2023 - General Weather Discussion

Beautiful snow right now!

Regardless of accumulations, I'm just grateful for the moisture.

Quote Originally Posted by PoliSciGuy View Post
    They're not closed, they're having a virtual day, so not a total loss of learning and you avoid the possibility of the storm overperforming and causing a massive headache (which doesn't look like it'll happen, but still). Makes perfect sense.
    Which they did for almost an entire year. I'm sure kids hope the whole virtual day trend ends and they get to have snow and ice days again. lol

Unlike in Norman, in Stillwater this morning just got some thick wet snow that didn't stick for long, if it did. Around .1" of liquid. Schools and OSU didn't close. Temp now around 37. Same situation in Tulsa. So far, for Stillwater, the winter storm warning is looking ridiculous.

A lot of the snow that was sticking to the grass is now melted.

I hope this trend continues where we get some nice precip but not bad roads or lots of snow piling up.

The snow ended up being nothing so off to work I go in a few hours! I am not staying long though since my boss wants us to return home safely

snow still coming down pretty hard in north edmond and sidewalks / driveways and neighborhood streets are slushy

I know according to some people I have been under hyping this storm but the accumulation is still coming. I think after sunset from the 6-10 hours where things will start to accumulate on grass and on the roads. You lose radiation from the sun. There might even be thunder snow just south southeast of the metro. Norman may see a Thunderstorm with all snow. Dry air is working in right now for the rest of the afternoon but after about 5 really start to watch things.

I wasn't really expecting much, but so far for Tulsa it's been a bust. We got a little rain around noon and nothing since then. Maybe we'll see a few flakes tonight.

Again, wasn't expecting much especially with the temps, but it sure seems like just about every time snow is forecast it's been a bust.

I do miss snow though. We got a couple actual snowfalls of a few inches last year and that was great. This year we've had one small accumulation before Christmas and it's starting to look like that's all the actual winter we'll get. Is there a record being tracked of fewest days dipping below freezing? I feel like this year must be a contender.

Quote Originally Posted by shavethewhales View Post
    I wasn't really expecting much, but so far for Tulsa it's been a bust. We got a little rain around noon and nothing since then. Maybe we'll see a few flakes tonight.

Again, wasn't expecting much especially with the temps, but it sure seems like just about every time snow is forecast it's been a bust.

I do miss snow though. We got a couple actual snowfalls of a few inches last year and that was great. This year we've had one small accumulation before Christmas and it's starting to look like that's all the actual winter we'll get. Is there a record being tracked of fewest days dipping below freezing? I feel like this year must be a contender.
    Even doom and gloom me wouldn't call it a bust. It has snowed and it has snowed good today they just under estimated how much melting was going to happen. I keep repeating it. Temp above freezing, warm ground temps in the 40's yesterday and solar radiation is a horrible combo for an accumulating snow Wait until it gets dark let's see what happens. But some dry air is still trying to mix in especially NW metro

This event so far has not lived up to Winter Storm Warning criteria, or at least here in Edmond. A winter weather advisory would have been perfect. Yes some snow but with little to no impact on roads. That being said, I do realize it's only 4:30PM. it has been very pretty here out the window all day as I have been working.

14. Default Re: January 2023 - General Weather Discussion

Bust or not all I care is what the roads are like. NAM and HRRR have been pretty much right on as far as snow accumulation and temperature. And if they hold with being right overnight there won't be much of a problem getting anywhere in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by MagzOK View Post
    This event so far has not lived up to Winter Storm Warning criteria, or at least here in Edmond. A winter weather advisory would have been perfect. Yes some snow but with little to no impact on roads. That being said, I do realize it's only 4:30PM. it has been very pretty here out the window all day as I have been working.
    If it were just a few degrees cooler, this would have been a much more material storm.

OKC has probably had around 3" of snowfall on average, but obviously looking outside there isn't much anywhere due to the temps. Basically this is the perfect snow.

Looks like one last hurrah heading into the evening with a snow plume on the wrap-around of the low. Main impacts will be S and E of OKC as expected.

I definitely had a raised eyebrow when the WSW was expanded so aggressively into the north of both OKC and Tulsa, it was perfect where it was.

Also big L on the southern plains radars today, many of them have been down multiple times.

Edmond schools are remote learning tomorrow ..

18. Default Re: January 2023 - General Weather Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    OKC has probably had around 3" of snowfall on average, but obviously looking outside there isn't much anywhere due to the temps. Basically this is the perfect snow.

Looks like one last hurrah heading into the evening with a snow plume on the wrap-around of the low. Main impacts will be S and E of OKC as expected.

I definitely had a raised eyebrow when the WSW was expanded so aggressively into the north of both OKC and Tulsa, it was perfect where it was.

Also big L on the southern plains radars today, many of them have been down multiple times.
    I agree with the perfect snow. Beautiful grass and roof cover without causing major problems. Ill take this 100 out of 100 snow events.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    Edmond schools are remote learning tomorrow ..
    Edmond, Deer Creek, Bethany, Putnam City, OKCPS are all remote or snow day tomorrow

There was some beautiful snowfall today. Would have been nice to see more of it stick. Oh well. This is kinda what I prefer anyway. Here today. Gone tomorrow. I think all the forecasters did a good job for this system.

Seems strange that schools are closed tomorrow, but I assume it’s because they’re afraid of icy conditions in the morning.

On to the next one!

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post

Just drove home from office downtown in film row. (7 pm) No snow on ground downtown. My house just the other side of the airport has a good blanket of 1-2 inches snow across the neighborhood. All five-six acres lots so not a lot of concrete to hold heat. The roads (I40/I-44) were not slick and just wet with traffic moving around 60 mph

Looks like an active pattern on the long range. Multiple storm systems lined up to come through although they don’t quite line up perfectly with Oklahoma. Although that could change. Looking forward for the opportunity for more moisture.

There was some beautiful snowfall today. Would have been nice to see more of it stick. Oh well. This is kinda what I prefer anyway. Here today. Gone tomorrow. I think all the forecasters did a good job for this system.

Seems strange that schools are closed tomorrow, but I assume it’s because they’re afraid of icy conditions in the morning.

On to the next one!
    Makes way more sense to be closed tomorrow now that we have actually some snow that might freeze than closing today when IT WAS GOING TO MELT and not start until at least 10am. SMH

Looks like an active pattern on the long range. Multiple storm systems lined up to come through although they don’t quite line up perfectly with Oklahoma. Although that could change. Looking forward for the opportunity for more moisture.

I wonder if these systems is where the chatter about an ice “storm” next week. I’ve started to see chatter on all three stations about it.

NWS hasn’t mentioned in I’m their forecast discussions yet though.

Next week as of a few days ago was going to be really cold. Now the computer models are giving shots of cold air high in the low 20's off and on all next week. So we shall see

Thread Information