Widgets Magazine

Thread: Strange, sad story out of Norman

Default Strange, sad story out of Norman

Very strange and tragic story out of Norman this week. So many questions...
    https://www.normantranscript.com/new...41df74923.html

Default Re: Strange, sad story out of Norman

Something's not right like the article said spending 12 days in County on 2 misdemeanor charges.

I agree. She had lots family and friends in Norman. And only a $1000 bond. Why in the world would she have stayed in jail that long? Makes no sense.

WTH was she even in jail with a bond for a mental health breakdown?
    Norman is home to Griffin Hospital as well as a Red Rock facility.

Once police decide to arrest, the criminal charge must be addressed before Griffin or Red Rock can be involved. They are civil, not criminal.

Quote Originally Posted by gjl View Post
    Something's not right like the article said spending 12 days in County on 2 misdemeanor charges.
    https://bailproject.org/oklahoma-city/
    You may be surprised to learn how many people who are innocent or otherwise on misdemeanor charges are held without relief in various county jails.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Hausfrau View Post
    Once police decide to arrest, the criminal charge must be addressed before Griffin or Red Rock can be involved. They are civil, not criminal.
    The cops had the option to do an E.O.D. . Instead they chose to criminalize. After the arrest why was she not given an OR bond? She is a business owner, 2 misdemeanors seems to be excessive bond. In jail for two weeks? What in the interrst of justice is Mashburn doing pursuing justice here? Fail on the cops, magistrate and DA.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    The cops had the option to do an E.O.D. . Instead they chose to criminalize. After the arrest why was she not given an OR bond? She is a business owner, 2 misdemeanors seems to be excessive bond. In jail for two weeks? What in the interrst of justice is Mashburn doing pursuing justice here? Fail on the cops, magistrate and DA.
    Seem to me this the type thing that happens in Oklahoma County regularly. The location and our knowledge of the deceased make it seem like this shouldn't happen, but this reflects the hard realities of the civic policing system in America.

This story is beyond tragic. In a sane world this story would create a huge public outcry and lead to wide scale systematic change. In reality, it will be swept under the rug and forgotten about. In a few months we'll hear of another "mysterious" jail death of someone who shouldn't even have been arrested. It happens all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by shavethewhales View Post
    This story is beyond tragic. In a sane world this story would create a huge public outcry and lead to wide scale systematic change. In reality, it will be swept under the rug and forgotten about. In a few months we'll hear of another "mysterious" jail death of someone who shouldn't even have been arrested. It happens all the time.
    As long as all of the folks responsible enjoy qualified immunity, no one will care.

The moment folks have to start writing checks, systemic changes will happen.

Very tragic story. I read the article and it left me wondering why none of the people that thought so much of her did anything to get her out of jail. Surely there was some sort of bond that could have been paid. Evidently she had family that could have done something. Lot's of questions here....

Maybe she didn’t want to be bailed out? I’m not making logical assumptions of someone having mental health issues. If she were stable enough to refuse bond or make call then I’m not sure what the system can, or should do for her!

The "system" had the power to change her bond to an OR bond. The "system" could have declined to file charges. More importantly the cop had access to a system showing empty beds at a Mental Health facility less than 2 miles away.

Quote Originally Posted by Oklapatriot View Post
    Very tragic story. I read the article and it left me wondering why none of the people that thought so much of her did anything to get her out of jail. Surely there was some sort of bond that could have been paid. Evidently she had family that could have done something. Lot's of questions here....
    Some people have families that suck. It's fairly common. One would hope family members wouldn't leave their own locked in jail for a misdemeanor, but it happens for any number of reasons. One of them is that some people have trouble coping with another family member's mental illness. There have been bouts of serious mental illness in my family and both of the people were able to get the help they needed and now no longer suffer, but we also didn't leave them in jail.

Again, it should not be the fault of the mentally ill person that their family sucks and doesn't help them. I support the police (not a "defunder"), and I don't expect them to be perfect, but they have a lot of responsibility and need to be held to the highest of standards. Their action or inaction literally kills people. They need to do better, and they needed to do way better than they did in this instance.

Also, the rest of the legal community, including the DA, need to do better.

If you haven't watched the video of this encounter I warn you that it is very hard to watch. The woman is obviously concerned about the safety of her children and is doing what we have all been told to do: call 911. That she was in serious distress and not thinking logically should not be considered criminal.

The Norman PD was one of the reasons I chose to leave that city like 30 years ago. It doesn't seem to have changed much at all.

^^^
    I agree. So hard to understand. Was her business closed during the 10 days she was in jail?

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    The "system" had the power to change her bond to an OR bond. The "system" could have declined to file charges. More importantly the cop had access to a system showing empty beds at a Mental Health facility less than 2 miles away.
    I watched the body cam video on TV and don’t see it as something where an arresting officer should have taken her to a mental health facility instead of jail.

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    I watched the body cam video on TV and don’t see it as something where an arresting officer should have taken her to a mental health facility instead of jail.
    The on scene cop who filed the PCA with the court saw it differently.

https://www.normantranscript.com/reg...2010%2C%202022
    One of the officers, in a court affidavit obtained by The Transcript, said he responded to a store at 1444 24th Ave. NW at the request of an employee.

"Upon arrival, I contacted the defendant, who was exhibiting behavior that was consistent with some type of mental health disorder," the officer wrote in the affidavit. "In trying to gather more information from the defendant so that I could try to assist her, she stated that she was going to call 911. I instructed her not to call 911.

Thread Information