Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Curbside Recycling

Default Curbside Recycling

It looks like curbside recycling could come to Moore soon. It would be every other week like Edmond. Not a fan of that but it’s better than nothing.

Recycling proposal presentation

Early in the meeting, the Moore city council heard a presentation from Republic Services on a proposed residential recycling program. The council seemed to like the proposition, but they also had some questions that were left unanswered.

Republic proposed an every-other-week recycling service for Moore’s single family homes, relying on homeowners to pull a recycling cart to the curb.

Republic accepts paper, plastic (Only those categorized as 1 and 2, not 3-7), aluminum, and cardboard within the curbside recycling program. Glass is not accepted, and the Moore recycling center does not accept it either.

The program relies on a mandatory fee for all Moore residents but participation will be optional, a system Republic uses in Norman, Edmond, and other cities they serve around the state.

Recycling bins will cost $4.30 per bin, per household, per month for residents. The city of Moore currently charges $7.75 per month for an additional trash cart.

Republic claims that they have a 91% participation rate in Norman and Edmond, because “People find out how easy it is to use that cart and push it to their curb.”

The council still had some questions about the program, however.

Questions from the Council

Ward 1 Council member Danielle McKenzie asked if this program could affect the city’s currently operating recycling center.

According to the Republic representative in the meeting, “Midwest City, Norman, and Edmond still have a dropoff site,” and so Moore’s current recycling program is likely to still operate if this proposal is accepted.

In fact, Moore’s recycling center just moved 1 million pounds of material last year, while a comparably-sized Midwest city was able to move 4 million pounds within the same time using Republic’s curbside recycling program.

How much is recyclable?

Council member Mark Hamm of ward 2 questioned how much of the product taken to the recycling plant is actually recycled, to no concrete answer.

“We know what’s taken, but of that, what is actually [recyclable],” he asked of Republic, and they stated that “I can give you that, and I can send that to you.”

At publication, the city has yet to receive this data.

Republic did claim in the presentation that “the trash portion runs about 25%,” and said that many will use the recycling bins as a second trash cart if not properly educated.

The service could take six months to ramp up if accepted, and Republic claims that it takes around nine months for a community to be educated on how to use the bins properly.

Continued to January 3 agenda

The City of Moore has decided to put the item on the January 3rd meeting agenda, and now calls for residents to give input to their council member.

Hamm went so far as to say that, “I would be opposed to us making this decision, I would support it being a ballot question going out to the voters and the community and letting them decide if this is something that they would want as a whole.”

If you have any opinions on curbside recycling, feel free to contact Moore city hall and the council to let them know.
    - https://freepressokc.com/city-of-moo...pany-decision/

2. Default Re: Curbside Recycling

Sounds good. Except maybe the fee. I don't know if OKC charges us monthly for the cart because they have a line for "trash services".

Default Re: Curbside Recycling

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    It looks like curbside recycling could come to Moore soon. It would be every other week like Edmond. Not a fan of that but it’s better than nothing. ...
    OKC is only every other week (but our recycle bins are green, the color they're supposed to be, instead of Edmond's blue ).

4. Default Re: Curbside Recycling

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    OKC is only every other week (but our recycle bins are green, the color they're supposed to be, instead of Edmond's blue ).
    We don't get to big green bin full in two weeks unless I go crazy on Amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    We don't get to big green bin full in two weeks unless I go crazy on Amazon.
    Yeah, it's just two of us, and it's only half full (at most) every two weeks, unless pet supplies come in (we have food and med supplies delivered since our cat's a kidney cat and it's just easier).

6. Default Re: Curbside Recycling

When i moved from OKC to Moore last year, this was the first thing that i missed. I feel dirty and wasteful every time i put recyclables in the trash. but it's not practical to store and then transport them to the Moore center on my own. I can easily stockpile cardboard for that, but often it just doesn't happen in the bustle of life. I would love to have this back at my curb like we did in OKC. When I built my house, i build my side-of-the-house pad large enough to accommodate 3 bins, assuming we'd have a recycle one some day.

I'm disappointed that Moore has voted this down before. I'm hoping that it passes this time. Every city that does this, has a fee. They just roll it in to your bill without you seeing it. So i paid a fee in OKC and it wasn't optional either. And they've been doing it for what, 20+ years? And it got much better when they went from little Blue to Big Blue (not so much blows away when there is a lid on the thing).

So go for it Moore! Catch up with the times and let's get it!

Not sure if I like this, seems like more of a hassle. I know when I lived in Norman seemed like there was always plastic bottles on the side of the road.

Quote Originally Posted by G.Walker View Post
    Not sure if I like this, seems like more of a hassle. I know when I lived in Norman seemed like there was always plastic bottles on the side of the road.
    Confused.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Thankfully this isn’t LA where you have to worry about hobos going through your trash and potential toasters being from cybertron. Moore will be okay.

10. Default Re: Curbside Recycling

Quote Originally Posted by G.Walker View Post
    We had a lot of loose bottles when the bins were small open top bins. Virtually none since going to the large closed top carts.

11. Default Re: Curbside Recycling

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    We had a lot of loose bottles when the bins were small open top bins. Virtually none since going to the large closed top carts.
    this.

It’ll be up to the voters on an upcoming ballot question may 9th

https://freepressokc.com/moore-city-...allot-measure/

13. Default Re: Curbside Recycling

YAY! I'll be VERY Happy to have curbside recycling again!

Blog Entries

A few people put theirs out late yesterday afternoon in our area - that was a mistake with the winds last night!!

15. Default Re: Curbside Recycling

Quote Originally Posted by okatty View Post
    A few people put theirs out late yesterday afternoon in our area - that was a mistake with the winds last night!!
    A lot of people in our neighborhood put theirs out last night. Thank goodness only a couple were blown over. We got medium strong wind for only a couple minutes.

17. Default Re: Curbside Recycling

Go out there and vote today Moore!

already casted my vote

Yes vote cast.

Moore Re: Curbside Recycling

it failed to pass. possible reasons why
    1. they would cut back on the recycle center
    2.unlike some cities Like Edmond or Norman where its opt in Moore would have been Mandatory (i think this is the biggest issue on why it did not pass nobody likes things shoved down their throats regardless on who they are)

Quote Originally Posted by TornadoKegan View Post
    it failed to pass. possible reasons why
    1. they would cut back on the recycle center
    2.unlike some cities Like Edmond or Norman where its opt in Moore would have been Mandatory (i think this is the biggest issue on why it did not pass nobody likes things shoved down their throats regardless on who they are)
    Number 2 is the main reason it failed and I am glad it failed, I voted no on it

Mandatory meaning what? You are forced to recycle? Under the fines or penalties?

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Mandatory meaning what? You are forced to recycle? Under the fines or penalties?
    Mandatory meaning as You are forced to recycle

24. Default Re: Curbside Recycling

So disappointing.

No, you're forced to pay for the service like you do for anything else the city offers that you don't actively use (like the Fire Department).

Opting just makes it more of a pain to constantly adjust the routes for the trucks and makes it more expensive for those that are participating. Widen the base, lower the rate folks.

500K OKC residents have been doing this since the late 90s. And it's been going very well. The other burbs are catching on the wagon too. I do question the cost but break it down a bit:

~60k residents at ~$4 a month, say 250k in income each month for this. You have to pay for a second set of trucks (and gas) and drivers (benefits/etc), as well as the recycle service itself. 250k a month goes pretty fast that way. There's not going to be just one truck and one driver working their way around the city.

It only lost by 300 votes. Only had about 3500 people vote, but that's still less than what 10%? It's a matter of turnout. If this had been on a ballot with other items on a big voting day, i think it would have passed. Based on who I saw and DIDN'T see voting, it was mostly older retired folks that voted. I'll leave my personal comments regarding their views alone. Interestingly enough, the same poeple that made signs to vote against the bond, seem to have made signs to vote against this. Apparently there's a group of people that dont want Moore to do anything and to be stagnant.

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    So disappointing.

No, you're forced to pay for the service like you do for anything else the city offers that you don't actively use (like the Fire Department).

Opting just makes it more of a pain to constantly adjust the routes for the trucks and makes it more expensive for those that are participating. Widen the base, lower the rate folks.

500K OKC residents have been doing this since the late 90s. And it's been going very well. The other burbs are catching on the wagon too. I do question the cost but break it down a bit:

~60k residents at ~$4 a month, say 250k in income each month for this. You have to pay for a second set of trucks (and gas) and drivers (benefits/etc), as well as the recycle service itself. 250k a month goes pretty fast that way. There's not going to be just one truck and one driver working their way around the city.

It only lost by 300 votes. Only had about 3500 people vote, but that's still less than what 10%? It's a matter of turnout. If this had been on a ballot with other items on a big voting day, i think it would have passed. Based on who I saw and DIDN'T see voting, it was mostly older retired folks that voted. I'll leave my personal comments regarding their views alone. Interestingly enough, the same poeple that made signs to vote against the bond, seem to have made signs to vote against this. Apparently there's a group of people that dont want Moore to do anything and to be stagnant.
    This is a copied post from Councilman Webb: I do think it’s enough. I don’t see a reason to revisit it. We have tried 3 options to offer as a result of 100s of citizens lobbying for it. As you can see, it’s a closely divided issue, and we have tried to hear the recycling coalition out, and offer plans. But I think it’s clear people are satisfied with the recycle center. It’s what I use myself, and I’m just fine with it as well.

People just need to get off their lazy butts and just go to the recycle center

Thread Information