Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: December 2022 - General Weather Discussion

Default Re: December 2022 - General Weather Discussion

Feel like the models have done a pretty good job with this system. Also, Mike Morgan also wasn’t wrong as we have blizzard like conditions out there. Crazy world we live in sometimes!

Feel like the models have done a pretty good job with this system. Also, Mike Morgan also wasn’t wrong as we have blizzard like conditions out there. Crazy world we live in sometimes!

It is absolutely miserable out there.

This is the worst combination of cold and wind I can remember.

I am ready for Spring to get here already, I really really hate Winter!

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    This is the worst combination of cold and wind I can remember.
    In terms of overall country impact. Today is the worst windchill map for the US I have ever seen in my life.

I was just telling my wife that I’m 30+ years on this earth, I don’t remember a time when we had negative 30’s windchills, and yet, in a couple of years, this has now happened twice. I do know that historically, these types of storms used to happen. I did some research for western Nebraska at one point during my time in college, and there were these very fast moving, strong winter storms/cold fronts that would literally freeze settlers within minutes/hours. They had no idea that they were coming given the lack of weathermen back then. So, these storms have happened in the past but I can’t recall them happening in my lifetime. Who knows if this is just a weather pattern we’re in or if this is climate change in action. If it’s climate change, I fear for what this state will look like during my grandchildren’s life.

Sheesh…the weather sucks out today.

If you combine this year with 2021 there have been some extreme high and lows across the state. You literally see every type of weather living in Oklahoma.

I can remember going to work in the mid to late 80s in 0-5 degree temps and the long walk from the parking lot to the plant. Seemed to always happen right before Christmas. I don't recall any windchill numbers then. What I don't recall is those extreme temps in February like lately. Seems like once we would get that one shot of extremely cold air once we would be done with it for that season.

Quote Originally Posted by C_M_25 View Post
    I was just telling my wife that I’m 30+ years on this earth, I don’t remember a time when we had negative 30’s windchills, and yet, in a couple of years, this has now happened twice. I do know that historically, these types of storms used to happen. I did some research for western Nebraska at one point during my time in college, and there were these very fast moving, strong winter storms/cold fronts that would literally freeze settlers within minutes/hours. They had no idea that they were coming given the lack of weathermen back then. So, these storms have happened in the past but I can’t recall them happening in my lifetime. Who knows if this is just a weather pattern we’re in or if this is climate change in action. If it’s climate change, I fear for what this state will look like during my grandchildren’s life.

Sheesh…the weather sucks out today.
    Sadly, it's probably climate change, and the state (world, actually) is going to get worse in our lifetimes (I'm mid-50s, not sure how old you are), much less your grandchildren's or children's.

Siberia gets cold every winter and has for centuries. We've happened to have had a few "Cross Polar" Jet Stream shifts the last couple of years that pulled that Siberian air down into North America. The coldest recorded temperature in Siberia was -89.9 degrees F in 1933.

To put into perspective as to what we remember during one's "lifetime", let's take a look at some of Oklahoma's weather extremes from the 1930's courtesy of climate.ok.gov...

Timeline 1930-1939

1930 January 18: Watts reports overnight low temperature of -27 degrees, to tie the all-time lowest temperature in Oklahoma.

1930 Coldest January of century: statewide averaged temperature of 24.9 degrees.

1930 November 19: F4 tornado at Bethany, kills 23.

1931: Warmest September of century with a statewide averaged temperature of 80.6 degrees.

1932 June 3: Flood on the North Canadian, severe in Oklahoma City. 5 dead, 3200 homeless.

1932-1938: General droughty conditions combine with inappropriate farming practices and a depressed economy to create the "Dust Bowl" throughout the High Plains including northwestern Oklahoma.

1933: Driest June, statewide-averaged precipitation of 0.46 inch.

1933: Tie for warmest December, statewide-averaged temperature of 46.5 degrees.

1934 April 3-4: Hammon flood in eastern Roger Mills County. 14 inches of rain in 6 hours near Cheyenne.

1935: Coldest February of century, statewide-averaged temperature of 44.9 degrees.

1935 February, March, and April: Unusually severe dust storms. The most general one on April 10-11,covered almost the entire state and was the heaviest known in central and eastern portions, reducing visibility to 11/2 blocks as far east as Cleveland (Pawnee County). The "Black Sunday" dust storm that struck in northwestern Oklahoma on the 14th was the worst ever seen in that region. Visibility was reduced to zero from Kenton to Arnett, beginning shortly after 4 PM. According to the observer at Kenton, the storm struck at 4:20 PM "turning afternoon brightness immediately into midnight darkness, and absolute zero visibility. It was totally dark and impossible to see without searchlight for at least 15 minutes. In the course of one hour, faint visibility was returning just enough to get around in the open. The storm came from the north and northeast and traveled at a very great speed." (Quote from Climatological Data, April 1935 which cited Mr. Ralph H. Guy.) "Panhandle stations reported moderate to heavy dust 20 days during the month (April) and light dust on other days." Oklahoma City noted dust on 18 days. Only the 3rd, 19th, and 29th (April) were without dust.

1936: Alva (July 18), Altus (July 19 and August 12), and Poteau (August 12) each report daily maximum temperatures of 120 degrees, the highest ever recorded in Oklahoma.

1936: Warmest (87.9 degrees) and driest (0.22 inches of precipitation) August of century.

1938: Wettest February of century, statewide-averaged precipitation of 4.66 inches.

To echo an earlier post from BG918, one does literally see every type of weather living in Oklahoma. And those who lived in Oklahoma long before us experienced the same things going back 100+ years. Stay warm everyone!

I don’t think it’s an inaccurate statement that where we live has some of the wildest weather on Earth. Extreme temperature swings from summer to winter, severe thunderstorms and tornadoes and switching back and forth from flooding to drought. The only area somewhat comparable is Argentina that has a similar geography but we are still more extreme.

Sounds like an active water rescue ongoing at lake Hefner possibly. Just saw several fire trucks with boats and an ambulance heading that way. Not sure what happened (if anything), but I wouldn’t be surprised if somebody went out on the ice. It’s been cold, but not for long enough to get thick ice.

14. Default Re: December 2022 - General Weather Discussion

Have any of you weather experts noticed the Pineapple Express startingbin CA runs all thevway to Asia?? This isn't normal is it?

It’s looking increasingly like it will be a mild to very mild winter. Should keep those natty gas bills down for the most part.

This weekend looks fantastic for NYE weather. Highs in the 60s, lows 40s.

Slight rain chance Monday night, but looks like mostly an E OK event.

Need rain.

Thread Information