Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The worst stretch of OKC streets....the list?

Default The worst stretch of OKC streets....the list?

Without question there are a ton of streets in OKC which are horrible, horrible. But one stretch, which will almost destroy the front end of your car, is on Western -just north of 63rd north bound. That spot is so bad. It has been filled and refilled with asphalt patching it creates makes the road almost unnavigable.

Here's my top of the list:
    1. Western -northbound from 63rd.

Default Re: The worst stretch of OKC streets....the list?

NW 63rd from I-235 to Western. On top of the awful roadbed surface, the traffic lights are horribly timed. It’s unbelievable this stretch is as bad as it is given what was once a high end corporate campus being built right up against and the fact it’s near the wealthiest area in OKC.

Kinda mirrors Sunset BLVD in LA through Holmby Hills/Bel Air neighborhoods.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    NW 63rd from I-235 to Western. On top of the awful roadbed surface, the traffic lights are horribly timed. It’s unbelievable this stretch is as bad as it is given what was once a high end corporate campus being built right up against and the fact it’s near the wealthiest area in OKC.

Kinda mirrors Sunset BLVD in LA through Holmby Hills/Bel Air neighborhoods.
    Agree!! I guess it demonstrates residents of Nichols Hill and workers at Chesapeake have no influence with the street department of OKC, lol

Quote Originally Posted by bucktalk View Post
    Without question there are a ton of streets in OKC which are horrible, horrible. But one stretch, which will almost destroy the front end of your car, is on Western -just north of 63rd north bound. That spot is so bad. It has been filled and refilled with asphalt patching it creates makes the road almost unnavigable.

Here's my top of the list:
    1. Western -northbound from 63rd.
    The right lanes both northbound and southbound on Western are pathetic from 63rd north to wherever they redid them (Hefner, Britton?). Not enough to take pieces off your car, but still crappy. They really need to finish up repaving Western south from the previous repaving down to 63rd.

Silver Crossing going north off Wilshire. It is heavily traveled by people going to Walmart, Kohls, Home Depot and Sams from Wilshire. There is a T Mobile call center on that road too. Horrible potholes have been there for years. Also NW 42nd st between Ann Arbor and Meridian which I travel a lot. It is a through street between MacArthur and Meridian and sees a lot of traffic for the whole neighborhood to the north and south of it. It is a dividing line between Warr Acres and OKC and the OKC side is crumbling and sinking concrete everywhere. Reno between Rockwell and Council by the Outlet Mall.

6. Default Re: The worst stretch of OKC streets....the list?

Flood the Action Center, folks. If each person on here sends them notification about areas that are terrible, they will at least go make patches, which are better than potholes!

Reno between Council and Rockwell. 1000 % terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Celebrator View Post
    Flood the Action Center, folks. If each person on here sends them notification about areas that are terrible, they will at least go make patches, which are better than potholes!
    Patching won't work on Western, it's been patched to death, the patches span miles of roadway, they get undone after rain/ice/snow heating/cooling happens, the whole stretch needs to be repaved like they did on the northern end between Memorial and Britton (I think). It's not potholed, the right lane on each side has just deteriorated past that point.

Having said that - yes, call the Action Center for single potholes, I've done it a few times and within a week they're usually patched.

SW 29th St from Council all the way as far west as you can go. For what is turning into a major artery, it's in terrible shape.

The resurfacing the city did at NW 36th/Walker recently is an embarrassment. The dip going south on May over I-44 is bad, same with the sewer grate when traveling east on NW 30th just past Villa. Heading west on NW 10th just before it dead ends at Cimarron, there are some really bad bumps as well, have to slow down from 45 to 25 to avoid damaging your car on those. The railroad crossing on NE 4th just east of Bryant is terrible, same with the one on Sooner just north of NE 10th.

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    The resurfacing the city did at NW 36th/Walker recently is an embarrassment. The dip going south on May over I-44 is bad, same with the sewer grate when traveling east on NW 30th just past Villa. Heading west on NW 10th just before it dead ends at Cimarron, there are some really bad bumps as well, have to slow down from 45 to 25 to avoid damaging your car on those. The railroad crossing on NE 4th just east of Bryant is terrible, same with the one on Sooner just north of NE 10th.
    36th has just been a cluster**** WRT resurfacing and construction, from Portland to Eastern. Is the part at Walker you're talking about the one where they appeared to just dump a bunch of asphalt on it and had a bunch of guys just jump up and down for a few minutes and then declare it done, right lane westbound? All of May over I-44 is ridiculous, dips waaaaay too much either way on both sides of I-44, but dunno how'd they'd fix that permanently. Drainage grate on 30th is annoying too, but that'd have to be a pretty large repair and it's not really that bad, just a bang-bang when your tires go over it, not nearly the roller-coaster ride May over I-44 is (and 36th going across May has pretty ridiculous dips like that too, now that I think about it). Hint about the 30th one - get a little bit over to the left or right from the normal tire tracking and it's not as bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    And that is a way to get in and out of the outlet mall. I don't get it. People visiting from out of town that want to go shopping and drive down that road must thing what the heck.

13. Default Re: The worst stretch of OKC streets....the list?

Ill second this. It's a massive pothole and patch city, especially on the east bound lanes just east of Council (in front of Taco Mayo). Not to mention the middle drainage ditch that is so full of dirt on top of the concrete, that it's growing trees. And they wonder why it floods so bad no matter how many times people call the action center to do something about it.

Not really a "street" (or the worst) but I-40 between the 44 junction and the river (west) is a pot-holey embarrassment. It's nice and redone on both ends of it, but that part is awful. Half the roads signs aren't readable at night either.

They repaved it about three months ago. Except the bridge over the train tracks, weird. Not sure about the timing of the lights.

I nominate Walnut from 2nd to 6th, both north and south bound. This this is a primary entrance/egress to downtown.

South -
    - The lane lines on the street at Harrison on Walnut are no longer there. They lanes veer and you don't know that unless you drive it every day like I do.
    - The stupid parking they did in front of the former La Baguette forces everyone to merge into one lane. And no one parks there in the day!! Other than construction trucks. It's ridiculous.
    - All the lights are not timed properly and it's infuriating!!!! The 4th street light turns red for no reason during morning rush hour. If someone is turning left there it backs up because we all had to merge into one f**king lane!!!

North
    - Why, oh why is there not a double right hand turn lane on 5th street? The left lane for straight or northbound 235, the right land for south 235? This would solve the backups that occur during evening rush. What the hell!?! It seems so easy.

As you can see by all of the !!!! I am quite frustrated with Walnut. Someone please help!

Quote Originally Posted by gjl View Post
    Silver Crossing going north off Wilshire. It is heavily traveled by people going to Walmart, Kohls, Home Depot and Sams from Wilshire. There is a T Mobile call center on that road too. Horrible potholes have been there for years. Also NW 42nd st between Ann Arbor and Meridian which I travel a lot. It is a through street between MacArthur and Meridian and sees a lot of traffic for the whole neighborhood to the north and south of it. It is a dividing line between Warr Acres and OKC and the OKC side is crumbling and sinking concrete everywhere. Reno between Rockwell and Council by the Outlet Mall.
    I drive on Silver Crossing every day and , while I know it's not wonderful, I never considered it to be that bad. There is currently a lot of new construction happening along that street so I'm sure there isn't much point in any major upgrades until most of the construction is completed.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by therhett17 View Post
    Not really a "street" (or the worst) but I-40 between the 44 junction and the river (west) is a pot-holey embarrassment. It's nice and redone on both ends of it, but that part is awful. Half the roads signs aren't readable at night either.
    This! The EB and WB bridges of I-40 over I-44 are embarrassingly bad!

19. Default Re: The worst stretch of OKC streets....the list?

Another vote for this. I avoid it if at all possible.

HangryHippo Guest

I’d also nominate 13th from 235 east to Lincoln.

5th from Broadway to Oklahoma.

A couple of stretches I encounter several times a week are Kelly Ave from Memorial north to the S. 33rd intersection in Edmond AND Lincoln Blvd between Memorial and S 33rd St. Both are in the jurisdiction of Oklahoma City, however I do think that both Edmond and OKC share Kelly for about half a mile up to 33rd as that is the city limit.

Quote Originally Posted by MagzOK View Post
    A couple of stretches I encounter several times a week are Kelly Ave from Memorial north to the S. 33rd intersection in Edmond AND Lincoln Blvd between Memorial and S 33rd St. Both are in the jurisdiction of Oklahoma City, however I do think that both Edmond and OKC share Kelly for about half a mile up to 33rd as that is the city limit.
    The next five or six maps should basically just be streets + landscaping the streets + the Canoo Centre. Maybe a high level aquarium too

That stretch was fully resurfaced (maybe a month ago)

Quote Originally Posted by rte66man View Post
    That stretch was fully resurfaced (maybe a month ago)
    Is it finished? Haven't been that way since we went through while it was still being worked on.

Thread Information