Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bike-ability in OKC

Default Bike-ability in OKC

There's a thread for walkability in OKC but I wanted to get a thread going to discuss bicycling, particularly for those commuting to work or for other non-recreational reasons. Today I rode my bike to work for the first time and it took me 15 minutes, about 5 minutes more than my usual commute in a car. For reference I live around NW 27th and Walker and I work around NE 42nd and Lincoln.

My ride is great and mostly on small, low-speed, low-traffic streets. I do, however, have to cross the 36th St underpass at I-235 and its so dangerous (blind curves and sun glare during the morning) I just get off my bike and walk it. There's a crosswalk at the offramp from I-235 but not one at NE 36th and Sante Fe. Hopefully the shared-used path on NE 36th St does get built and the protected bike lane on Lincoln as according to the ACOG 2045 Bicycle Vision.

Any other OKCTalkers want to share how there bike commute is and any spots where infrastructure is missing?

Default Re: Bike-ability in OKC

I did a 17 mile commute (NW Okc to Downtown) before switching jobs. I was mostly on the trail system. Overall pretty nice, but there are a lot of intersections where cars would pull out in front of you while on trail. Maybe some green dashed paint at these intersections would help. There was also a lot of debris is places. I did almost get ran over by a city bus one time... fun stuff.

Just for general review, here is the OCARTS Regional Active Transportation Plan
    https://www.acogok.org/wp-content/up...ation-Plan.pdf

The MTP is developed at least every five years
    by ACOG and includes priorities for the next 30
    years. The MTP is a fiscally constrained plan that
    outlines future investment in highway, transit, and
    multimodal improvements to support regional
    growth and ACOG goals. The plan includes
    recommendations for streets and highways, airport
    access, transit, freight movement, and bicycle and
    pedestrian facilities.

Biking information starts on p. 18 of the PDF / p. 14 of the report.

PRIORITY BICYCLE CORRIDORS
    ACOG’s BPAC committee met several times during
    the planning process to alter and finalize the priority
    bicycle corridors. The committee used existing
    bicycle facilities and planned facilities to identify key
    routes that connect the various bike networks and
    high demand locations (parks, lakes, and population
    centers) in the region. This network is designed to
    get bicyclists around these areas of the region safely
    and quickly. Existing bicycle facilities on these routes
    are ideal for expansion or improvement. It should be
    noted these are suggestions only. This is a long-term
    vision for the region and cities have the freedom to
    adapt this to their individual needs as circumstances
    change. The Priority Bicycle Corridor map can be
    seen on Figure 3.5.

4. Default Re: Bike-ability in OKC

For years I commuted from NW 42nd and Villa to NW 150th & Portland. I had one main route and a couple alternates I'd take occasionally. All through neighborhoods. Only had to cross main streets. I raced much of that time so I pretty much time trialed most days. I could make it in 24 to 30 minutes if I didn't have to wait long at the main streets. In the mid 70s two other guys and I all lived around NW 36th to 50th and May. We often rode from home to Crossroads Mall to play in the arcade. That could also be done all through neighborhoods.

Quote Originally Posted by OkiePoke View Post
    I did a 17 mile commute (NW Okc to Downtown) before switching jobs. I was mostly on the trail system. Overall pretty nice, but there are a lot of intersections where cars would pull out in front of you while on trail. Maybe some green dashed paint at these intersections would help. There was also a lot of debris is places. I did almost get ran over by a city bus one time... fun stuff.
    I think green paint on those intersections would be great. while I don't bike much I do try to be cautious while driving and observe bike lanes and intersections so that bikers are safe. i think some public education TV and Radio spots coupled with marking lanes and intersections would go a long way in not only promoting bike use but also safety.

OKC has a street sweeper just for bike lanes. I wonder if that also runs on the trails or how those are cleaned of debris.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    For years I commuted from NW 42nd and Villa to NW 150th & Portland. I had one main route and a couple alternates I'd take occasionally. All through neighborhoods. Only had to cross main streets. I raced much of that time so I pretty much time trialed most days. I could make it in 24 to 30 minutes if I didn't have to wait long at the main streets. In the mid 70s two other guys and I all lived around NW 36th to 50th and May. We often rode from home to Crossroads Mall to play in the arcade. That could also be done all through neighborhoods.
    This is why the older neighborhoods with rectangular blocks instead of curvilinear streets in newer subdivisions will always be better for bike-ped.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullbear View Post
    I think green paint on those intersections would be great. while I don't bike much I do try to be cautious while driving and observe bike lanes and intersections so that bikers are safe. i think some public education TV and Radio spots coupled with marking lanes and intersections would go a long way in not only promoting bike use but also safety.
    ACOG has WatchForMe which does just that!
    We do need more of that striping. They do have green paint on the road at I-44 and NW 16th where Grand Trail crosses over the interstate.

I appreciate you looking out.

The biggest section is on NW 63rd, just west of NW Expressway. Also N/S along Portland.

Crossing 39th is always a little sketchy. But the major roads of 50th, 36th, and 23rd can be worse with cars turning right at the intersection although the light says "walk".

**I understand these are crosswalks, but they are a part of the OKC Trail System, which is also meant for bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by josefromtulsa View Post
    OKC has a street sweeper just for bike lanes. I wonder if that also runs on the trails or how those are cleaned of debris.
    They need to hit up General Pershing BLVD. between the Fairgrounds and Downtown. One thing recently is there are a ton of stickers on the trail. Soooo many flats (not just me, but I've heard in throughout the community). It would be nice if after they mow near the trail, they run a leaf blower over to blow some of the stickers off.

They need to hit up General Pershing BLVD. between the Fairgrounds and Downtown. One thing recently is there are a ton of stickers on the trail. Soooo many flats (not just me, but I've heard in throughout the community). It would be nice if after they mow near the trail, they run a leaf blower over to blow some of the stickers off.
    And I believe the last time we went down it, a few weeks ago, a lot of the pylons had been knocked down and not replaced.

HangryHippo Guest

Surprised to see Shawn hasn’t posted in this thread yet…

12. Default Re: Bike-ability in OKC

Quote Originally Posted by josefromtulsa View Post
    This is why the older neighborhoods with rectangular blocks instead of curvilinear streets in newer subdivisions will always be better for bike-ped.
    Even some older subdivisions with twisty streets still had streets that went completely through a mile from one man street to the next. Quail Creek is an example. Our subdivision you can get from Rockwell to Council but there's absolutely no way to get from Britton to Hefner. There's two subdivisions that just don't have even one connected street. Sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullbear View Post
    Also that it is important that bikes go the correct direction (the direction of the large, painted arrows) when using the bike lanes. Sometimes it's hard to see bicyclists coming the wrong way on the bike lanes especially when you don't expect them to be going the wrong way.

Education for both drivers and bicyclists regarding using the bike lanes to make turns at intersections would be helpful along with continuing the bike lane markings in intersections to help remind people. Like here in Kansas City or here in Kansas City.

14. Default Re: Bike-ability in OKC

RIVERSPORT OKC announces a new hub for cyclists https://www.velocityokc.com/blog/dev...ack=super_blog

Quote Originally Posted by GaryOKC6 View Post
    RIVERSPORT OKC announces a new hub for cyclists https://www.velocityokc.com/blog/dev...ack=super_blog
    That should actually be really neat. Getting more people on the trail system will help people see the advantage of having a robust system of trails.

Ward 5 is definitely not bike-able. No trails still even though one was listed in Maps 3.

OKC got its first parking protected bike lanes on Lottie from NE 23rd to 13th St.

OKLAHOMA CITY — Last month saw construction begin on what will be Oklahoma City’s first-ever parking-protected bike lane, providing significantly improved safety for cyclists by placing the bike lane between a line of on-street parking spaces and the curb.

This new parking-protected lane will span the length of Lottie Ave. from NE 13th Street to NE 23rd Street on the city’s Eastside, the first phase of a larger bike lane construction project planned to run from NE 4th Street to Madison Street and North Kelley Ave.

This pilot project is budgeted at $800,000 through the voter-approved Better Streets Safer City grant and ACOG’s Air Quality Small Grant Program.
    - https://freepressokc.com/1st-parking...sts-in-ne-okc/

Blog Entries

Sure would be nice to see people actually out biking.

19. Default Re: Bike-ability in OKC

Going to mention, other night, southbound 16th and Classen where the 3 lanes become 2 with the bike lane... Car next to decided NOT to make the "must turn right" and continues straight down the bike lane until the pylons start and swerves quick in front of me. Green dashes, signs, arrows, etc. meant nothing to that driver.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Sure would be nice to see people actually out biking.
    I ride about 60 miles a week, road or gravel. I see lots of people riding recreationally and to commute. I see people all over the city riding...?

Quote Originally Posted by OKCbyTRANSFER View Post
    Going to mention, other night, southbound 16th and Classen where the 3 lanes become 2 with the bike lane... Car next to decided NOT to make the "must turn right" and continues straight down the bike lane until the pylons start and swerves quick in front of me. Green dashes, signs, arrows, etc. meant nothing to that driver.
    I run into this a lot where people don't seem to understand whats going on with the bike lanes. I wish there was a better way to report them. I thought riding my motorcycle was dangerous!

22. Default Re: Bike-ability in OKC

Quote Originally Posted by OKCbyTRANSFER View Post
    Seems like traffic striping and signage are just a minor inconvenience to most drivers these days.... Stop signs/lights, speed limit signs, no turn..... No problem... Just ignore the signs.

Quote Originally Posted by tvkokc View Post
    I ride about 60 miles a week, road or gravel. I see lots of people riding recreationally and to commute. I see people all over the city riding...?
    Come on. I ride my bike frequently. There are a few other bikers around but it is not a large number at all.

I rarely see people in OKC cycling. Give up your dreams of OKC being a cyclists friendly city. Roads are for cars. Not bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by tvkokc View Post
    I run into this a lot where people don't seem to understand whats going on with the bike lanes. I wish there was a better way to report them. I thought riding my motorcycle was dangerous!
    Whenever a change is made to the flow of traffic it takes time for drivers to adjust. If it is a major roadway like classen you might need the police to enforce the changes. I have heard of police officers writing tickets for not wearing a seat belt when those were first introduced. You will need to fund the police to change the public behavior.

Thread Information