Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Contemporary art in your home?

Default Contemporary art in your home?

Was listening to Freakonomics podcast about the art market, and they noted that in the US, only 20% of homes report owning contemporary (post WW1) art. They also noted that the percentage had been going down over time; more people owned art in 1950-1960s.
    I was shocked by that number, 1 in 5. I grew up with art in the home, as did all my friends. So, my question, do you have contemporary art in your living space? If not, why not?

Default Re: Contemporary art in your home?

Several pieces.

I have a few.

No art, just a television.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Hausfrau View Post
    Was listening to Freakonomics podcast about the art market, and they noted that in the US, only 20% of homes report owning contemporary (post WW1) art. They also noted that the percentage had been going down over time; more people owned art in 1950-1960s.
    I was shocked by that number, 1 in 5. I grew up with art in the home, as did all my friends. So, my question, do you have contemporary art in your living space? If not, why not?
    Yes. A number of pieces, by famous and not so famous. Local and not. Along with pre WW1 and current but more traditional work.

Quote Originally Posted by mkjeeves View Post
    Yes. A number of pieces, by famous and not so famous. Local and not. Along with pre WW1 and current but more traditional work.
    Pretty much the same here.

We have a fair amount and continuing to build. I try and bring a piece back from any trip I go on as I find it helps to spark conversation.

We own several pieces. Nothing too expensive at the moment. But I do stand to inherit quite a bit of nice art one day (which I hope is a long way off). My family has always enjoyed buying art in Santa Fe, New York and at events like the OKC Festival of the Arts and the St. Louis Art Fair.

It always amazes me the houses I go into that have $3000 TV sets and $40K cars in the driveway and have "art" from HomeGoods or Hobby Lobby on the walls. I also can't stand "art" that consists primarily of words like "Blessed" and "Family" and "In this house, we..."

But to each their own, Everybody has their own priorities.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    No art, just a television.
    Any reason you chose not to have art? Were you raised around art? And if not too presumptive, are you in a younger or older demographic?

Quote Originally Posted by stlokc View Post
    We own several pieces. Nothing too expensive at the moment. But I do stand to inherit quite a bit of nice art one day (which I hope is a long way off). My family has always enjoyed buying art in Santa Fe, New York and at events like the OKC Festival of the Arts and the St. Louis Art Fair.

It always amazes me the houses I go into that have $3000 TV sets and $40K cars in the driveway and have "art" from HomeGoods or Hobby Lobby on the walls. I also can't stand "art" that consists primarily of words like "Blessed" and "Family" and "In this house, we..."

But to each their own, Everybody has their own priorities.
    I don't believe the stats were including things that are mass produced like at Hobby Lobby or Target (though one could argue that Jeff Koons is highly mass produced); they are referring to original art purchased via art markets, festivals, galleries, studios, etc. or via secondary market such as auction houses, thrift stores, garage sales, etc.

Any reason you chose not to have art? Were you raised around art? And if not too presumptive, are you in a younger or older demographic?
    I'm middle aged and in a winning foot race to the grave compared to others the same age. I am more into tools than collecting pieces that just look pretty. Years ago, I attended an event at UCO's ballroom and noticed the art students had paintings hung on the walls with exorbitant prices for amateur talent. I scoffed and laughed out loud knowing that I could equal or exceed the talent of most of the art students. I find that the truly exceptional artists are either self-taught with occasional guidance from a mentor or attend a premier art school or institute preferably in a large US or European city. I appreciate good art but I don't have the need to own a piece.

Quote Originally Posted by sooner88 View Post
    We have a fair amount and continuing to build. I try and bring a piece back from any trip I go on as I find it helps to spark conversation.
    Same here. Art is about the only thing I purchase on vacations to bring home. I've found it's the best way to commemorate a trip and the art always brings memories of the location.

mid-30s. Would love to have art but it's a bit out of budget at the moment and I feel like I need to do some renovations before I purchase art to help define the space.

14. Default Re: Contemporary art in your home?

If framed Spaghetti Western movie posters are contemporary art.... Then yes..... Otherwise no.

Does dogs playing poker count?

16. Default Re: Contemporary art in your home?

Lower 30s here. Real art is way too expensive for my budget as well. I want some real art, but unless I can get a free piece, my collection will continue to be non existent. I only have one friend with real art, their family is MEGA rich. I didn't grow up with anyone that owned true art. I'll be stuck with overpriced "prints" for a long while.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Beard Face View Post
    Lower 30s here. Real art is way too expensive for my budget as well. I want some real art, but unless I can get a free piece, my collection will continue to be non existent. I only have one friend with real art, their family is MEGA rich. I didn't grow up with anyone that owned true art. I'll be stuck with overpriced "prints" for a long while.
    "Real art" doesn't have to be expensive, we have a set of glass pieces that hang on the wall that are about 5" wide x 16" tall, both for about $300 total, bought from a local artist in the Paseo.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    If framed Spaghetti Western movie posters are contemporary art.... Then yes..... Otherwise no.
    I’ve recently gotten more and more into Spaghetti Western movies and growing to appreciate Ennio Morricone‘s scores he produced. Absolutely brilliant how he came up with some of the soundtracks he did.

I would like to have some art, but then I get analysis paralysis when looking at art (do I like this enough to look at it forever? will this look good with my current set up? will I be locked in to this style or can I mix and match? can I afford this? does my wife secretly hate it? etc. etc.) and ultimately I just figure it isn't worth the cost.

20. Default Re: Contemporary art in your home?

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I’ve recently gotten more and more into Spaghetti Western movies and growing to appreciate Ennio Morricone‘s scores he produced. Absolutely brilliant how he came up with some of the soundtracks he did.
    I can't imagine the genre without Morricone's contribution to it.

If you're just getting started. I'll reccomend looking into the stuff from the other Sergio... Sergio Corbucci

Obviously Django is what he is most known for but The Great Silence is one of the best movies of the genre. Corbucci's films were much darker than Leone.

Also look into anything Terence Hill and Bud Spencer starred in. Their moves were more comedic but still had that gritty Spaghetti Western theme. They were kind of the Laurel and Hardy of the genre.

And to finish out the journey you have to watch My Name is Nobody which is a spoof of the genre starring Terence Hill and Henry Fonda.

Pay close attention to the name on the grave at the mission in this movie. Then start watching the movies made by that person the headstone pays homage too. Not spaghetti westerns but very good revisionist westerns.

Ok..... Now back to modernnist art...

Am looking at a piece of original art on the wall as I type this! We have a number of original pieces--acquired mostly through art shows--as well as a number of art pieces in the genres of metal, pottery, glass, needlecraft, etc. We also have signed, numbered pieces from our favorite artists whose original works are out of our price range. Our walls look more like a gallery than a house! As to our age...uh, let's just say "over 50" and call it good.

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkasa View Post
    I would like to have some art, but then I get analysis paralysis when looking at art (do I like this enough to look at it forever? will this look good with my current set up? will I be locked in to this style or can I mix and match? can I afford this? does my wife secretly hate it? etc. etc.) and ultimately I just figure it isn't worth the cost.
    The Oklahoma Visual Arts Coalition may be helpful to you! They are a non-profit and represent local Oklahoma artists. While they don't sell art directly, their staff can direct you to reputable galleries or connect you to artists that can answer these very questions.
    Www.ovac-ok.org

23. Default Re: Contemporary art in your home?

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    "Real art" doesn't have to be expensive, we have a set of glass pieces that hang on the wall that are about 5" wide x 16" tall, both for about $300 total, bought from a local artist in the Paseo.
    Sure wish $300 was not expensive to me.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Beard Face View Post
    Sure wish $300 was not expensive to me.
    What size art are you looking for? Original? Framed?
    Sometimes people are not aware of the actual cost to produce an original piece of art with professional grade materials. Commercial art has to be profitable for the artist. They have to get paid for materials, time and their level of execution., not to mention the marketing costs (galleries take their cut first). $300 doesn’t pay for much these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    What size art are you looking for? Original? Framed?
    Sometimes people are not aware of the actual cost to produce an original piece of art with professional grade materials. Commercial art has to be profitable for the artist. They have to get paid for materials, time and their level of execution., not to mention the marketing costs (galleries take their cut first). $300 doesn’t pay for much these days.
    This is what I got for $300 (again, glass and 5" x 16", and came with great hangers already on them):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Art.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	507.4 KB 
ID:	17723

And yeah, I've been there when I couldn't afford $300 to spare for anything unnecessary, hopefully that'll change eventually for ya...

Thread Information