Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Contemporary art in your home?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Contemporary art in your home?

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Hausfrau View Post
    Was listening to Freakonomics podcast about the art market, and they noted that in the US, only 20% of homes report owning contemporary (post WW1) art. They also noted that the percentage had been going down over time; more people owned art in 1950-1960s.
    I was shocked by that number, 1 in 5. I grew up with art in the home, as did all my friends. So, my question, do you have contemporary art in your living space? If not, why not?
    My house is like a gallery. One of the great joys of my life.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    mid-30s. Would love to have art but it's a bit out of budget at the moment and I feel like I need to do some renovations before I purchase art to help define the space.
    Have you ever considered creating art yourself? You may be surprised. Many people are more creative and inspired than they give themselves credit for. I got started painting some time back after visiting many of the great museums and also realizing my budget for original art was somewhat limited for what I wanted. I never have had lessons but have learned to do multiple styles using oils and acrylics on canvas and other surfaces. There are lots of free resources from which to learn. It has been very fulfilling over a long period of time. My wife paints also and is quite good. She had limited lessons but was willing to try and to learn. Our art now hangs in quite a few homes.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Beard Face View Post
    Sure wish $300 was not expensive to me.
    Two off-the-wall places to find original art at "massively affordable" prices are garage sales and estate sales...and don't pre-judge what might be in the home based on its exterior! I found a pottery vase for $7 at an estate sale in the Village, brought it home, cleaned the 3 decades-worth of nicotine from it, and discovered it to be an original, signed piece by a well-known artist right here in OKC. Definitely worth the $7! Likewise, Goodwill and Salvation Army thrift stores may have very good pieces...and I know that to be true because we've donated pieces we no longer wanted (ran out of wall space & had to make decisions). Art is a delight, but it doesn't have to bust your budget.

Quote Originally Posted by old okie View Post
    Two off-the-wall places to find original art at "massively affordable" prices are garage sales and estate sales...and don't pre-judge what might be in the home based on its exterior! I found a pottery vase for $7 at an estate sale in the Village, brought it home, cleaned the 3 decades-worth of nicotine from it, and discovered it to be an original, signed piece by a well-known artist right here in OKC. Definitely worth the $7! Likewise, Goodwill and Salvation Army thrift stores may have very good pieces...and I know that to be true because we've donated pieces we no longer wanted (ran out of wall space & had to make decisions). Art is a delight, but it doesn't have to bust your budget.
    Yes, second this, we've brought home pieces from thrift-type stores and researched and found out the same kind of thing. But even if they're not by somebody famous, they can be pretty cool for cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Have you ever considered creating art yourself? You may be surprised. Many people are more creative and inspired than they give themselves credit for. I got started painting some time back after visiting many of the great museums and also realizing my budget for original art was somewhat limited for what I wanted. I never have had lessons but have learned to do multiple styles using oils and acrylics on canvas and other surfaces. There are lots of free resources from which to learn. It has been very fulfilling over a long period of time. My wife paints also and is quite good. She had limited lessons but was willing to try and to learn. Our art now hangs in quite a few homes.
    I have this theory that one day I'm going to do a textured wall with drywall mud and create a textured wall with the OKC skyline from some angle and then paint it the right colors.

I'd definitely have to hire for it lol...Art was always my least favorite class throughout grade school...then ended up getting a degree in the creative arts, but painting with pitches and rhythms rather than colors and shapes.

It's a good idea though and maybe when the 3 year old is older and I can free up more time, it will be a fun endeavor!

Thanks for the idea, Rover!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Yes, second this, we've brought home pieces from thrift-type stores and researched and found out the same kind of thing. But even if they're not by somebody famous, they can be pretty cool for cheap.
    Estate sales can have great finds.

Thread Information